Werner Enterprises, Inc. - Omaha, Ne.

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by lj, Jun 17, 2005.

1. SpyderRyder

SpyderRyder Medium Load Member

Aug 29, 2011
    Rice, Texas
    You're absolutely correct. Most everything is packed on rolltainers except for the toppers which are usually paper products. I've done a full trailer unload one stop in 2.5 hours. You have to watch your fingers and toes when working with the rolltainers and watch that the toppers don't fall on your head when you are getting them down but once you get the procedure mastered, it's not difficult. I started working the account in the winter here in Texas, Oklahoma region so by the time summer rolled around, I had built my stamina up sufficiently to survive the heat and no problems as long as you stay hydrated. I would typically drink anywhere from a gallon to a gallon and a half of water throughout the day. I have to say the fat melted away. BTW, those trailers can get up over 120 degrees inside during the summer months. But after spending three years in Kuwait, that didn't bother me. It's good work but not for everyone. Being on time is critical and you will have those 4 A.M front door unloads that you cannot miss. I bought a truck this summer and I actually make better money running OTR where I get the better mileage. The DG account can be rough on a person especially the older guys like me but I've seen folks doing the DG account for 5 or more years and they love it. The weekly home time is the big incentive there I think.

TruckermanD Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jbos3

jbos3 Bobtail Member

Nov 27, 2012
    Knoxville, TN
    Looks like not much as changed with Werner. I went to them after I got my CDL in 2007, now mind you I had been driving for several years hauling agriculture and in the military so I did know how to safely handle the truck. My problems started as soon as the recruiter opened his mouth. I was looking for good money, nice truck, excellent benefits, and reliable home time. After talking to him I thought I had found the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. I got to the terminal and did the class orientation and they stuck me with a trainer that did not live anywhere near me (I was told this wouldn't happen), next I was to be doing a Dollar General dedicated run with a Dollar General trainer (and he wasn't one of them) and come to find out I didn't even live in the area to be qualified to do Dollar General, I was told that my road training was only two weeks and when I got in the truck I was told 6 to 8 weeks. So I figured the heck with it, just suck it up and get it over with. After about a week and a half the trainer and me were bumping heads pretty hard. The way he was wanting me to drive and handle the truck was messed up (now I remind you I have roughly 6+ years experience before werner). he had his own mega set of rules for the truck (i.e. no radio, no drinks, no food while driving), I had less rules working for uncle sam. I finally got to the point that i was fed up and wanted a new trainer, so I called my training coordinator and was pretty much told to suck it up and they didn't give to craps how big of a jerk the guy was. My last draw with the guy was at a Pilot in WV, I had fueled the truck, parked the truck, got my bag to take a shower, went inside and got my shower ticket and was waiting for my shower when he showed up and asked what I was doing (the whole time I was fueling, parking, and getting my stuff he was on the phone in the sleeper) I told him I was waiting for my shower and his response was that he gets to shower before me and that I needed to give him my ticket and go get another one. Well all **** broke loose and I lost my cool, needles to say he thought he was wanting to fight me cause I told him what I thought of him and after pretty much putting him through the cooler doors we were asked to leave. so we got in the truck and he went straight to bed. I ended up rerouting ourselves to Knoxville and that's where I woke him up and said I was done and getting out of the truck, and then he wanted to fight again because he needed to be in Texas the next day and needed me to drive. The next day the training coordinator was calling me and pretty much begging me to come back but I figured I had seen enough to know that it was going to be the same mess over again and it wasn't was it was made out to be. So after doing some job hunting I went to work for an owner op and found it was the best way to go. I used to be an instructor for a trucking school and it used to kill me when students would say they were going to work for Werner and I couldn't say anything to them to stop them from going. But you live and you learn, big trucking company's are like big box stores, its all about the money and not the people

4. Liedl13

Liedl13 Light Load Member

Jan 29, 2011
    Chippewa Falls, WI
    I was pre approved for a dollar general account with Werner.......how much hometime does Werner drivers see?

5. Lonewarrior

Lonewarrior Light Load Member

Aug 12, 2012
    Dayton,Ohio
    Werner is just another,what I call,copy and paste cheap freight company.
    Great place to get in your six months to a year starting out,then move on.
    Actually heard some fool in a Pilot the other week say that he had proudly been with Werner ten years.
    I then said, That is not something I would want to admit and you might want to seek professional help.
    Others would include Swift,JB Hunt,Schneider,Prime and so on.

bluekw Thanks this.
  6. bluekw

bluekw Bobtail Member

Nov 14, 2012
    werner what a bunch of criminals. whats there starting pay.

Lonewarrior Thanks this.
  7. AfterShock

AfterShock Road Train Member

Sep 19, 2007
    Inland Empire, California

8. Lonewarrior

Lonewarrior Light Load Member

Aug 12, 2012
    Dayton,Ohio
    I would not know personally but if someone thinks Werner is so good then they have to be a mental patient....just sayin..

9. AfterShock

AfterShock Road Train Member

Sep 19, 2007
    Inland Empire, California
    There are those who would say anyone who drives a Big truck is foolish and oughta have their head examined. What advice would you have for them?

A Big truck truck driver with ten years seniority at the same Big truck truckin' company seems to be a concept misunderstood by those who subscribe to the stay-a-year, then move on method. There's a good chance those who continually jump ship in their quest for the greenest pasture will never know or understand the perks associated with longevity with a company. The "fool" with ten years at Werner has probably climbed pretty high on the pay scale, and bein' there that long means he probably knows those in the front office by their first name, --- maybe even those who call the shots and can pull strings and make things happen, and, ...... if they happen to like a certain Big truck truck driver, said driver probably receives the cream of the crop loads, ..... and dispatchers know his needs and desires and hand pick the best loads with excellent miles, consistently.

Now, there are those who would classify such a "fool" as a brown-noser, and whine that isn't fair to those who prefer to do as little as possible and leave as much as possible for someone else to do, and constantly complain to dispatchers about their loads and miles, --- or lack thereof.
    For all we know, that "fool" has everything set up to his liking at Werner including security, something some "fools" don't comprehend. How wise is it for one to judge another based on an assumption?
    Ever wonder what that "fool" thought about you?

One employer in the last ten years.
    How many different employers have you had in the last seven years?
    What's your estimate for ten, --- three years down the road?

One man's trash
    Is another man's treasure.

One man's floor
    Is another man's ceiling.

Some folks look up
    to see down
    Some folks never look up
    and always see down
    Some folks look straight ahead
    with eyes wide shut as they seek the light.

pete1 Thanks this.
  10. booba92EZ

booba92EZ Light Load Member

Jun 3, 2012
    Los Angeles CA
    thats GREAT. TEN YEARS to get decent miles and good loads....... dont you think you should get this kind on prestation RIGHT AWAY?

i am with werner and it is not the worst company , but i will DEFINITIVELY NOT STAY more than 2 years MAX.

so yeah i understand people switching company every once in a while, and i dont understand why wait 10 years to get what you can get in 2 years somewhere else .... unless they are happy with werner witch i could understand.

11. Ruckie

Ruckie Road Train Member

Nov 12, 2011
    Bloom field,nj
    I usually defend werner but I'm giving up after reading the 3rd quarter report they are losing quality drivers because of poor pay yet they refused to give any raise across the board, even with my not near perfect driving record I was offered a driving position running northeast with another company with a 25% more money of what I'm making with them, long story short mid December I'm turning in truck enjoy my holidays and leaving werner for good.

Lonewarrior Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.