WERNER Enterprises To Lay Off 500

Discussion in 'Werner' started by AfterShock, Mar 20, 2008.

1. AfterShock

AfterShock Road Train Member

Sep 19, 2007
    Inland Empire, California
    Has anyone heard the rumor that Werner Enterprises, Inc., is going to lay-off 500 employees?
    Can anyone confirm this?

Giggles the Original Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cybergal

Cybergal Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Found this so far, a QUOTE of what they have said.

http://www.tradingmarkets.com/.site/news/Stock News/1221742/

Giggles the Original Thanks this.
  4. MedicineMan

MedicineMan Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    I heard from some drivers at least 2 months ago that werner laid them off and was laying off others at that time also. 500 really isn't much to them though. They should do more and should have done it last year.

5. AfterShock

AfterShock Road Train Member

Sep 19, 2007
    Inland Empire, California
    This could be that silver lining in the cloud if the major companies finally decide that raising freight rates is necessary to stay afloat.

Of course, if the majors lay-off drivers, it'll probably hurt the newbies and wannabes chances of being hired, as I'm thinkin' the Big truck truckin' companies will opt for experience instead of lower pay for the trainees who'll require a trainer to hold their hand. I think they'll depend more on those who'll get-'er-done, without supervision.
    Well,............. except for C.R. England.
    But I'd laugh if C.R. found themselves with a bunch of former lease/purchase Big trucks on their hands, sitting in their armed guarded yards, with nobody foolish enough to take over payments -- even at gun-point. :biggrin_2555: :yes2557:

Werner Enterprises, according to what Cybergal posted on the home page, "sank $1.07 a share, or 5.8%, to $17.43.
    J.B. Hunt is down 94 cents, or 3.1% a share, to $29.82.
    Heartland sank 79 cents a share, or 5.4%, to $13.92.
    Con-Way Inc. retreated $1.65 a share, or 3.3%, to $48.59.
    YRC Worldwide, Inc., lost $1.04 a share, or 8.4%, to $11.22, after dropping to $10.99, their lowest point since late 1998."

According to Forbes.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

See folks!
    If y'all read what Cybergal posts, y'all can appear intelligent -- like me. :biggrin_2558:

Thanx Cybergal. :biggrin_25514:
    After reading your informative posts, even though the economy is down, my IQ appears to be going UP.
    Quite an illusion.
    Imagine that. :biggrin_25524:
    And go figure. :biggrin_255:

6. Cybergal

Oct 20, 2008
    Well at least something is on the rise!:biggrin_25525:

7. LeadfootSlider

LeadfootSlider <strong>Queen of the Confused</strong>

Jul 15, 2006
    Crystal Spring, PA
    They don't layoff, they just do not hire to fill vacant slots:

"In mid-March 2007 we began reducing our Van medium-to-long-haul fleet by 250 trucks, or about 8% of total Van solo driver trucks, to better match freight and trucks and to improve profitability. By the latter part of April 2007, this initial goal was achieved, and we had not yet achieved the desired balance of trucks and freight. As a result, we decided to further reduce our Van fleet by an additional 400 trucks, which we completed by the end of June 2007. We were able to transfer a portion of our Van fleet trucks to other more profitable fleets. The net impact to our total fleet was an approximate 500-truck reduction from mid-March 2007 to the end of June 2007."

To view full press release:
    http://investor.werner.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=99642&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1027647&highlight=

And that was last year. I read another article but I can't remember where, late last year, where the company was expecting to reduce the fleet by another 400-500 trucks. It's really not a big deal. If you read through their financial reports they do fleet reductions every year. Its really just shuffling: take out some solos, hire more teams, hire more dedicated, blahblahblah. Get more accounts, hire more solos, hire less teams, blahblahblah.

AfterShock Thanks this.
  8. wc5b

wc5b Medium Load Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Flint, MI
    Loading Dock on Sirius said today that they put out a statement that said they will be reducing there fleet by 20 some percent.

9. LeadfootSlider

Jul 15, 2006
    Crystal Spring, PA
    I can't find any press release stating that. Still looking. If I find it I will post a link.

10. Cybergal

Oct 20, 2008
    I can't find it either and I get alot of news to go through..lol

11. LeadfootSlider

Jul 15, 2006
    Crystal Spring, PA
    The last thing I checked was Werner's site, in the investor's link, and nothing was posted. I will check again tomorrow.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.