Werner..is it a good comapany?

Discussion in 'Werner' started by lookingtotruck, Jun 29, 2007.

1. lookingtotruck

lookingtotruck Bobtail Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Hi everyone,
    Just about to get my CDL and have some choices to go to work for and am leaning towards Werner, from all I hear through school it seems like a great opportunity and am wondering if you all can tell me the good bad and ugly.
    Thanks in advance!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    Some schools get kick backs from hiring companies. Werner is not that great in my opinion. You could find a better training company.

4. lookingtotruck

Jun 29, 2007
    Thanks for the reply notarps4me but why is it a bad company in your opinion? What is wrong with the training?

5. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    Pay is low. Hometime is not that great. Big company easy to fall through the cracks and I have talked with a lot of their drivers since the early 80's none of them has seemed very happy with them. Research them and you will see that there are a lot of complaints on them.

6. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY

Same here.

There are better companies. Maverick, Watkins Shepard, Roehl among others.

7. biggen6776

biggen6776 Bobtail Member

Mar 26, 2007
    I am currently with werner. I have been with them since april 13. I had a great first trainer. when he went on vacation i had to get another trainer which also was good. well after 3 days he got suspended for 3 days. My 3rd trainer was ok but he grabbed the steering wheel a few times and didnt tell he was going to do it. which i didnt like at all. I have been solo for about a month now.
    I got a great truck for my first truck. I got a Freightliner Classic XL in dark blue. My total first chose. no dents except the corner of the front bumper is pushed in a little. Im at a terminal right now i look at the other trucks look beat up compared to mine.
    My real only compliant was mileage. I got lucky to get a great dispatcher and got on a good dedicated account right away. Thanks to my first Trainer. My first 3 weeks sucked for mileage. my 4th week was good almost 3k. my first week (well weds to sat) was 1400 miles, so im like well im good to go. my second week was the worst 1000 miles. then the 3rd week was 1400 miles or so. I started applying else where. then this week was great. so im going to give the a week or two to keep the miles up. if not im going to move on.
    Its not an easy decision to leave werner. I am in the apprentice program. which i get to collect my GI Bill for 1 year tax free. Which is about $1000 a month tax free. So i want to stay for that reason.
    If you go with werner try to get on a dedicated account. (except for doller general, The guy in charge is a butt, lol he thinks he god )

Now for Other companys Rohel is a great company but u have to have a great Driving record, and background. I tryed them and i had a minor rear end accident in 04. So they wouldnt take me.

Central refrigerated Is great if you want to run run run and dont need to get home allot. A guy i know is avg over 3600 miles a week. but he only goes home once a month.

Thats my 2 cents Aaron

8. Truck Vet

Truck Vet <strong>NRA AMA Libertarian</strong>

Aug 30, 2006
    Last week I talked to a Werner driver while my truck was in the
    shop. Werner was a good fit for him. He liked his truck ( I think
    he said it was a Pete 379, not sure). Not much home time
    but he had just divorced so that was fine. He said he was makeing
    34 cents a mile. But he said that was good for Werner.
    He had a reckless driveing on his record so I agree it was
    a good place for him. My guess from all this is that Werner treats
    people pretty good but if you have a good driveing record
    you can do better. I think your better off with them then Swift
    or JB.

9. haze1

haze1 Light Load Member

Oct 31, 2006
    Midwest City, Oklahoma
    i was with werner on their dollar general account and i had a good experience with them, but the dollar general account is a very tough gig and better left for the young guys looking for physical type work. i left the company for a better paying job after being told i would have to take a pay cut to .26 mile if transfering to 48 states with my limited experience. i feel that overall i recieved good training and valuable experience while pulling dollar general especially the tough backing and parking situations i was faced with at the various store locations. i would suggest that you continue your research and talk to other drivers and use the info on this website to help in deciding which path to take starting out in this job. there is alot of great info here and great members to lend you a helping hand. good luck to you.

10. lookingtotruck

Jun 29, 2007
    I am continuing my research every day and appreciate everyones response. I have been pre-hired by Roehl, Werner, and Stevens and am still undecided. Please keep the information coming and thank you all!!!

11. MGASSEL

MGASSEL Road Train Member

Mar 27, 2007
    Co
    Roehl is the best company they have the best rep!!!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.