Werner - Not What I'd Heard (Thank God.)

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by BadInfluence, Nov 23, 2008.

1. Starchdoggy

Starchdoggy Light Load Member

Aug 6, 2007
    seated
    I know nothing really of Tara's pay other than what she has posted so I cannot tell you anything more than what you read. I can tell you though that I have had weeks where I have grossed over $1400 and taken home nearly $1100 and driven less than 2300 miles to do it. There is more to pay than just the miles you drive, at least on the account I work there is. Of course I have not done this lately as this was before my pay was cut by nearly 30% last year.

They have changed the entire way I am paid recently and I guess I should be happy this time as my pay is going back up a little. My most recent pay I gross over $1100 and I did this driving less than 1700 miles in the week. Nearly half my pay a week (sometimes more) comes from stops and other fees.

I will say that Tara's pay does seem high if it is consistently the same, but I do not know what account she works or the pay scale she has and it may just be possible to make that where she is if she works hard and has good planners and managers.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ronaldcrmr

ronaldcrmr Bobtail Member

Aug 6, 2009
    opelousas, la
    well i can tell you being a male 1 mo. after training it is not that rosey. but in this ecomy its a job!

4. LostSoulCA

LostSoulCA Medium Load Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Visalia, CA
    Steele, how long have you been employed by Werner?

5. LostSoulCA

LostSoulCA Medium Load Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Visalia, CA
    Here's my thinking. Considering Tara's first hand experience and your second hand reporting of many career drivers with Werner, I must assume they are a pretty well managed company that takes reasonable care of their employees. If this wasn't the case why would Tara be positive and why would your husband and all of his friends stay. This is the kind of input I want to see. Input from people with realistic expectations, a solid work ethic, and a sense of dedication to their employer. I am full up to here with the whiners with unfounded complaints about their situation. It is nice to see some positive input.

I am scheduled for Werner orientation this coming week. I am going into this with my eyes wide open. Reality dictates that I can expect nothing more than to be treated fairly and with respect initially. After that, I earn what comes my way. I don't expect for the industry to change to meet my needs. I expect to be flexible by changing my needs to be met by the industry. I don't like being away from home all the time but that is the nature of the beast. I will have to pay my dues before I can ask for a dedicated or regional gig.

I will report on my experience. Thank you for your input.

6. Starchdoggy

Starchdoggy Light Load Member

Aug 6, 2007
    seated
    Not Otr

Pay was cut by 25% across the board, changes in the way I was run makes the other 5%, not the entire account was cut only my part of it.

I said less than 2300 miles, but that is old and you said a year ago does not count so do not worry about it. More recent is, 10 trips, 1690 miles, 24 stops, 7 shags, comes out to $1103 (gross) and change. I do not care if you believe it or not it is what it is. I do not make .26 nor do I make .32 I never said what I make and am not saying now either. Do all the math you want to try to figure it out, does not matter to me.

Used to be paid sliding scale, now paid by the mile, that is the change. No I do not train, never have and doubt I ever will. I make more than many OTR trainers as it is now and I am home everyday. Don't know anything about dollar accounts and don't want to work one.

I make what I make, no stories, like I said I don't care if you believe it or not it is not my problem. My pay has gone up and down in the past 2 years and it is going back up currently. It does not mean it will stay there but I hope it does.

Steele, I know you have a great deal of knowledge of Werner from some of your posts, but you do not know me, and you do not know all of everything about Werner. Unless I am mistaken, you do not even work for them, I do. I am not trying to mislead anybody into believing that what I make is the norm in the company as I know it is not, but I know it can be done because I do it.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
    LostSoulCA and dragonmatrix Thank this.
  7. Steele

Steele Light Load Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Las Vegas, NV
    I may not work for them, but everything I know about them is based upon my time with Highlander, the people I know from the Company, and Highlanders nearly 18 years with them. As for figuring out the account.... if you don't want to tell, it's not like it's difficult to find out if I really wanted to know, but you don't want to tell and I'm not that seriously interested in finding out. A call to Driver Placement to figure out the account you are on would all it would take, but trust me.. not that important to me.

You are a shag driver, who drives a daycab. But you are not on salary because of the miles you have to run. Am I right? Little bit different from normal dedicated runs and OTRs.

8. ordinaryguy

ordinaryguy Light Load Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Indianapolis, IN
    How you gonna find out what account he is on? Call up driver placement and ask them "Hey what account is Starchdoggy on from truckersreport.com?" I know what account he is on, and i am keeping it a secret tooooooooooo

9. newbie67

newbie67 Bobtail Member

Aug 2, 2009
    Altoona IA
    I realize that no trucking company is going to everything for everyone but, generally speaking, would Werner be a good place for a newbie (like me) to start a career? Any thoughts, good or bad, will be greatly appreciated.

10. BadInfluence

BadInfluence Bobtail Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Saugerties, NY
    Sounds like you're a bit bitter over something. I'm sorry for that.

I waited for my first truck - I could have very easily settled for a T-600 that was broken down, but I'd heard through the terminal grapevine that new trucks were going to be here - trainers get first choice. I waited and there were two trucks left. I got one, and another driver got one.

And as far as the rest of what you said goes, if you wanted to get personal about this - you should have played the man you liken yourself to be and taken it to a private message. There was no reason to get down on my family and insult me in public.

Thank you.

- Tara

11. Stump

Stump Heavy Load Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Modesto CA
    Wow, this thread got ugly. Whats with all the bad vibes here. I can't see BadInfluence having any reason to lie. If i told you what i make as a 48 state driver (as in cents per mile) you would all think iam full of it, but then i don't get paid by Werner as i work for an o/o. All i do have to say is, if you do a great job, like be ON TIME all the time, don't cry to your dispatch about everything and wait, how about this, comunicate with Werner when you might be late, you will make more money because they can trust you. I know, everybody will say they do all these things, but at the end of the day, you and only you know if you are telling the truth. As far as miles, yes, i know, i must be full of it. the least amount of miles i have had in the last 4 months is 2700 in a week, this as a solo, and with doing a restart. most weeks, over 3000 a week. You can all say iam full of it, but all i care about is the money iam puttin in the bank. It might help that my dispatcher is up for a big award for the great job he does.

Most people that have bad things to say about Werner, are screw ups anyways. This is why they get canned. They have nothing better to do then come here and bash the people that have what they don't have, a job and effort. Its easy to type in a thread on this site and tell half a story why you got canned, and say "poor me":biggrin_2555:

chirp63, newbie67 and Joker213 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.