Werner - Not What I'd Heard (Thank God.)

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by BadInfluence, Nov 23, 2008.

1. halfburn

halfburn Medium Load Member

Feb 22, 2009
    Jasper AL
    For the company, a truck staying loaded and running 24x7 is the goal. It is up to the driver to moderate that schedule down to a reasonable level. That truck will do anything the driver can. If he tries to be super trucker because "everyone else does it" he won't laist three months. If he tries to eat fast food on the go all the the time he won't be around to enjoy retirement with you. :biggrin_25514:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. squaredeal

squaredeal Bobtail Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Phoenix AZ
    The regional LTL company I work for is selling trucks, shutting terminals and laying off employees. I have been searching this web site for well written, fact based information about trucking companies that have terminals in Phoenix.

I have ten years OTR experience but have been driving local for the last twelve. Considering Werner and Crete if our company falls victim to the current economical crisis.

It is impossible to give your best effort when you are busy complaining. Proper perspective and a positive attitude go a long way towards helping a person be at peace and succeed at her/his job.

DIESEL DOG and Rattlebunny Thank this.
  4. Mack attack

Mack attack Light Load Member

Dec 31, 2009
    Baltimore,Md
    Squaredeal I would go with Crete if it comes to going over the road.They pay more in training(not that you need any) and they pay more when you start. Werner is a new driver mill,you will start at a much lesser pay and take forever to get to Crete's payscale.

5. halfburn

halfburn Medium Load Member

Feb 22, 2009
    Jasper AL
    You need to find a small company to go to work for if you want to go OTR. With your experience you will not be able to deal with the large companies now.

6. crabby125s girl

crabby125s girl Heavy Load Member

May 11, 2009
    and FYI to my lasts posts: well they are continuing to run him hard and even offered him a training position, but we don't know when and where that starts, they just asked him if he was interested and he said yes but did mention that not having a year under his belt he'd appreciate more time to hone his own skills.

Recently he got a violation for running over time when looking for a truck stop. But he said a book said that you have extra time if you go over time while looking for a truck stop. He thought he was ok. Unfortunately safety called him in today and didn't say why. He is not near a terminal at the moment and on his way with a load so after he got off the phone with me he said he would call and try and discuss over the phone why he's been called into safety.

I feel bad for him, this job is extremely important to us and he's shaking in his boots thinking the violation has got him fired.

I don't think they would fire him over something so minor (would they)? It's mismanagement of time by at most 15 mins. He's new to being solo because he partner took off after 2 months of team driving and they haven't placed my bf with anyone yet. He's running solo kinda by accident and still learning the ropes.

How many violations/warnings do you get before being fired? Does anyone know the routine of punishments before you're let go?

As for his diet, it is fast food and chef boyardee. Not good but you can't tell him anything. He knows its bad and refuses to change and me on his back about it just creates arguments during the few moments we have on the phone together. I let it slide to keep the peace. I don't see another option and I'm not on the road with him so I don't understand how hard it is to have a healthy meal on the road. He doesn't have a fridge so I think that mainly contributes to his bad eating.

I know there is a healthy eating thread on here. I've got to visit it one of these days. But he (the bf) is more into the no prep, fast and easy meals so I dunno if he'd listen to suggestions off the healthy eating board.

7. jtrnr1951

jtrnr1951 Road Train Member

Log book violations are getting VERY SERIOUS !!!

I wish him luck !!!

8. Drive-a-Mack

Drive-a-Mack Light Load Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Eugene, OR via Lincoln, NE
    ..Cgirl there is a so-called "safe haven" rule if i remember correctly, I am not sure about the time but i 'think' it's 30 mins (it could be less than 30) over your 10hr drive time when u can't find a safe place to park.. I don't know Werners policy on this but i doubt they will fire him after just asking him to train; they will probably ask him to watch a safety video or attend some safety class but I'm guessing on this.. no need to worry until he finds out for himself what's up..

9. Jmurman

Jmurman Medium Load Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Baltimore MD
    Safe haven rule is 2 hours past your ten...for EMERGENCIES, such as a car wreck that blocked your road or inclement weather. You also have to add to your 10 in the bunk before you can head out again.

I doubt Werner will fire him for being over briefly, if he hasn't made a habit of it in the past.

10. utahhomesick

utahhomesick Bobtail Member

May 25, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV

If they really wanted too, the safety guys could back that time out and fix it so it doesn't show as a violation. If they really want too.

11. Mack attack

Mack attack Light Load Member

Dec 31, 2009
    Baltimore,Md
    crabbygirl,if Werner needs to get rid of drivers they could disqualify him,I hope this isn't the case,I wish him good luck

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.