Werner - Not What I'd Heard (Thank God.)

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by BadInfluence, Nov 23, 2008.

1. ldydrives

ldydrives Bobtail Member

Jan 4, 2010
    lancaster,sc
    Freightlinerguy
    Truck Driving is what you make of it.It's just like any other job
    you take the bad with the good. Since you are a contractor you
    what it takes to get the job done and follow directions.
    I myself along with plenty others thank you for all the differences
    that everyone over seas is trying to make happen.
    Be happy and enjoy whatever profession you do.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. crabby125s girl

crabby125s girl Heavy Load Member

May 11, 2009
    his violations were log book related but since it's all electronic it's not like he fudged his records. He openly admitted when he was going to be late and drive over hours for a truck stop but still Werner doesn't like that.

Well he finally got to saftey this morning and he had to do a random pee test and view and accident video and do training related to the video. He texted me that it was boring but at least he's grateful that he's not getting reamed out for violations.

So far they haven't mentioned anything to him about his driving personally.

He's been there over 2 hours so far.

4. phroziac

phroziac Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Gary, IN
    Is it just me or is it impossible for a werner driver to not know this? I have a hard time believing that he NEVER had a log violation before...for the simple reason that when you're new to paperless logs (or to trucking), they HAPPEN. The "safe haven rule" (actually the adverse driving conditions rule) is posted on the walls in several terminals and dedicated offices. Werner doesnt care about log violations unless they're going over your hours by more than 45 minutes. When i was new (to paperless) i got quite a few violations, and every time i'd freak out and call logs and theyd be like..oh, dont worry about it. Hell, i wrecked a trailer and safety told me, oh, dont worry about it. (of course it was the very minor-est of minor trailer wrecks, most company trailers are wrecked up to heck!)

They cant fire you unless you get more than 6 log violations....thats what the drivers handbook says (which he should also have a copy of). The rules in an employee handbook are legally binding, ie, its illegal for them to fire you unless you have more than 6....but.....if they wanted to get rid of you, trust me, they'd make up a reason.. :D

Most safety personnel at werner understand why you go over yor hours when it happens. Most of them used to be truckers.

Werner does not want to get rid of any drivers unless you're not a good employee. And most werner drivers arent so...hahaha. :D

I must've missed something, did he have an accident? ALL werner training is boring. PERIOD. Didn't he complain about it when he started? LOL

Werner likes to do random drug tests. I've never seen a company do more. Hell, they gave me a random *alcohol* test, and most drivers i've talked to have never had one...but they had large quantities of disposable mouthpieces for the machine on teh counter, so I could not have been the only one that day at that location (safety building at omaha)

5. crabby125s girl

crabby125s girl Heavy Load Member

May 11, 2009
    He's new to trucking so yes he is new to getting violations and what the consequences for them are. And he has never been called to safety before.

This job is really important (to both of us) and so I think he freaked out more than neccessary when thinking he'd get fired. But it's been drilled in his head from friends, other truckers and even here on this website that drivers are a dime a dozen and you could be let go for minor offences because there's a line out the door of other people waiting for your job.

He does have a book (don't know the title of it) where he read about getting extra time to look for a safe place to park for the night. I guess he missed the part about needing 6 violations to be up for firing. I'm assuming he missed that part because he didn't mention it to me and I guess he wouldn't be worried about being fired if he knew that fact since he doesn't have 6.

Oh and you're confused about the accident video and training? So were we. We think that it was just coincidence that they called him into safety soon after a violation.

He assumed when saftey messaged him to come in that it was due to his violation but once he got there they gave him a pee test and made him watch a video so it seems his instructions to go to safety had nothing to do with his minor violation. He just jumped to that conclusion.

So in the end all it well.

6. LostSoulCA

LostSoulCA Medium Load Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Visalia, CA
    Those violations are inevitable. Certainly you don't want any but they happen. Try to avoid them and perform your job and Werner will be understanding. They have enough drivers who pay no attention to the rules to keep them busy. A guy performing with an occasional oops will be fine. I had one over 14 violation that logs fixed for me because it was an electronic error, the computer saw it one way and us humans saw it another, and an 11 hour violation (45 min) that I had to accept. I wasn't watching the time and felt fresh. The qcomm beeped but I didn't read it till I stopped. Oops! Nothing more was said.

7. txanakonda

txanakonda Bobtail Member

Dec 31, 2009
    San
    i worked for werner for 3 yrs before i quit. i didn't make any money otr, the only ones that really do is trainers. i made decent money on a dedicated account in the IL., MO., IN., OH. area. I even had a home daily gig that paid ok, i made about $550 net driving from STL to Indy and back 5 days a week back in '05. (i had to wait 9 months for an opening) But the best gig was Dollar General. you can make great $ there but the work is back breaking, but you get home every wkend if you want. Yes some things suck about Werner but if you want to bust your ### and get paid i'd definately recommend Dollar General.

8. jdsouza

jdsouza Heavy Load Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Port Orchard, Wa
    What is the staring pay for new driver with no experience after they are done with the trainer per mile for a solo driver. Also if I go as a team do we split miles or do we split pay

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  9. snowbird_89

snowbird_89 Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2009
    Massachusetts
    if i drive for Werner, will i be able to drive a 379 or a W900? :biggrin_25525:

10. LostSoulCA

Apr 7, 2009
    Visalia, CA
    Werner no longer buys long nose tractors

11. LostSoulCA

Apr 7, 2009
    Visalia, CA
    I believe it is 29 cpm.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.