Werner - Not What I'd Heard (Thank God.)

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by BadInfluence, Nov 23, 2008.

1. joeschmo111

joeschmo111 Bobtail Member

Feb 9, 2010
    Elkhorn, NE
    ???ugh...?
    hey crbgrl, what region does he run?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. crabby125s girl

crabby125s girl Heavy Load Member

May 11, 2009
  4. red_eye

red_eye Medium Load Member

Dec 30, 2009
    belpre, ohio
    I just see in the news that Sear an Kmart are closing a bunch of stores.. hope it doesnt affect him

crabby125s girl Thanks this.
  5. crabby125s girl

crabby125s girl Heavy Load Member

May 11, 2009
    Just an update.
    I post a lot about my bf. He's a new driver. Graduated last spring. Passed training. Was given a new truck and a team mate by this fall and the teammate quit in Dec so he's been solo since then.
    He had some sort of accident where he knocked a mirror of his truck while backing up and they put him on probabtion.
    While still on probation you might remember me telling the story about how he backed into a grill of all things at a dock.
    He thought for sure his career was over and pretty much a month to the day of the grill accident Werner finally sent him back to the terminal to deal with him.
    Well today they made him watch videos, gave him a road test basically (which he passed) and so he should be on his way!
    I just wanted to post this real life experience for anyone else in Werner who might be going through it. I know Werner's turnover rate is high and there's plenty of new drivers waiting for their turn but Werner does give second (and third) chances and we could not be more relieved.

6. silverjay599

silverjay599 Bobtail Member

Feb 23, 2010
    nashville,tn
    I didn't even know about this forum, it has alot of info on it! Alot of the testimonials I have read, I can believe..Ive been at werner for 3 years, 2 of them on a regional account and am looking to switch over to either schneider or swift.Better pay and less bs..werner is "family run" and has way too much bs that comes along with that. Greg Werner is the main problem there, even non-driver employees will tell you that. They keep hiring! Everytime I go to the terminal the classrooms are packed, ill be glad if I can get away from here soon. Tired of seeing people gettin screwed by crooked, dirty operations personel, all they do is hire and fire...tired of it

7. LostSoulCA

LostSoulCA Medium Load Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Visalia, CA
    Silverjay, that was a pretty good response. You aren't blaming, just stating fact from your perspective. You've given them a fair shot and know that it's time for you to try somebody else.

I'd like to point out that Werner is no more family run than Walmart is. Once a company gets large or begins to trade stock, they are run by the investors, not the family. I didn't mind Werner for a place to start. However, I was a number, I had no supervisor at least I didn't know who it was. I was nothing more than a bank account where they put money for services rendered. Now, being a newbie, maybe this is the way the industry runs, I don't know. But I do know that this is not the way a family business runs, and I am unanimous in that. If this is typical of the industry, then I thoroughly understand why so many of you are cranky. Everybody wants to be thought of as a real person. You don't get that treatment as a Werner employee. I imagine all the mega-carriers are the same in that regard.

8. whitedevil

whitedevil Bobtail Member

Feb 28, 2010
    Carrollton,Georgia
    Can students become Team drivers at Werner?:biggrin_25510:

9. whitedevil

whitedevil Bobtail Member

Feb 28, 2010
    Carrollton,Georgia
    As a Student can i become a Team driver at Werner?:biggrin_2555:

10. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    I ve been around a while, This just is not going to happen, it would be nice if it did, but it is just not to be. Too many with seniority want that load, as a newbie there blow smoke up your dress. Sorry dude....

11. Airhose

Airhose Bobtail Member

Feb 28, 2010

I’m planning to get back into the truck driving business in the not too distant future but since I have been out of pocket for a while I’m pretty sure I will be required to take a refresher’s course, but that’s no problem. Anyway, I’m in the process of getting all my ducks in a row and therefore have a few questions about Werner:

What is Werner’s idle policy? Is it reasonable or will I have to sweat or freeze to earn a living.

Does Werner put APUs in their trucks? If so approximately what percentage would you guys estimate have APUs and what would be a good guesitimate of getting one of those trucks with an APU?

With respect to trucks that have APUs, are there inverters supplied with them that will enable you to run a refrigerator, microwave, and other appliances available to make a trucker’s life a little more bearable out on the road?

In addition, in the case of no APUs or otherwise in the trucks with no APUs, can you at least plug in a 400 watt inverter to run your laptop, electric shaver, and other small devices?

Also, my brother inlaw is a lease operator for JCT and he uses Streets & Trips, the Truck Stops Plus template, and a laptop mount for trip planning and navigation, I’m planning on doing the same thing, will Werner object to this setup?

I previously drove over the road for more than 2 years and have about 290,000 miles under my belt but haven’t drove for about 3 years, will I have to go through the full training process with Werner or will I be able to escape with an abbreviated version, as all I would need to learn really is how to work with Werner’s e-log system? With respect to everything else, I still remember. Anyway, my youngest has finally left the nest and thus I want to get back out there since I miss it.

Does Werner also pay detention after 2 hours and if so how much is it?

How about layover after 24 hours and if so how much is it?

How about also breakdown pay and if so how much is it?

Will they put you up in a hotel room when the shop is working on your truck and if so will you have to share a room with someone else?

How about orientation, will I have to share a hotel room or will I get a room all for myself, and is the orientation paid? Also…how long is it?

Finally, thanks in advance to all of those that reply to my questions. I really appreciate it.:biggrin_25514:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.