Werner - Not What I'd Heard (Thank God.)

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by BadInfluence, Nov 23, 2008.

1. phroziac

phroziac Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Gary, IN
    I'm not a person?

Or the company didnt cause the truck to be a POS?

Anyway, I can go home and make $200 a week and be home every day. no problem. I also have plans right now to go to a trucking company with..among other things, better layover pay.

I just think that to think that someones life is worth $200 a week tells me how much werner "cares".

Come on, why should my pay reflect the "work" not performed? Im willing to work. Called dispatch yesterday and demanded another truck. Didnt get it, but point is, i WANT to work. They arent letting me. There are multiple unused trucks with no major problems in the yard, wont let me use them. Dispatcher being a ####### and not even considering standing up for me on a truck. He'll find himself short a driver in a couple weeks.

People like you who think its ok and deal with it are the reason this happens. I dont put up with it.

I require a minimum of $600 a week for being out on the road. Until recently I was getting about that too.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    Any company you go with there are good dispatchers and bad dispatchers. My present company I been with over two years and have been through five dispatchers. Two got fired and one relocated. But it took that many to find a good one.

But the point is don't hesitate to go above the dispatchers head and talk with the operations supervisor if you are not happy.
    Most companies are willing to move you to another dispatcher.

Do your homework and ask other drivers who's who in dispatch. Then request the one you might like.

That doesn't work, then QUIT! :biggrin_2559: Take this job and shove it. I ain't working here....

4. phroziac

Jun 16, 2009
    Gary, IN
    man, im already quitting so i feel like its pointless to do anything. they can take this job and shove it!! :p

I liked my dispatcher until this ####e went down. Theres only 8 dispatchers on midwest and ive been through 3 of them, one got moved to a diff department, and this guy was doin me alright. Load planners however..hah. Sure wish i could fire THEM.

trail_runner Thanks this.
  5. trail_runner

trail_runner Bobtail Member

May 8, 2010
    seattle
    what is in your opinion current situation on the market though? my buddy, who is 10 years in the business and is a dispatcher, believes that "there are jobs for those who want to work". her drivers were all busy, but they all are local and i want to do otr. i do have a job, looking for a career change. being less around people, seeing more places and i actually love driving to the point i'd drive 16 hours and pay more for gas then for the plane ticket, just to drive.
    this lyrics aside, i got a stable job and nothing is wrong with it, except I HATE IT )))
    i am doing my research right now before i jump into smth and pull another person with me. some posts look like people are deeply depressed and b%%%%%% over good old times when green bucks were coming down with rain, others sound like either they are here when they have downtime between telling fairytails to new recruits or are related to someone in mngmnt and getting all they ask for from the company. trust me, i've seen that many times. like no one in sales crew got leads. we all are starving, while manager's cousin somehow has a line of prospects waiting for him and hitting monthly bonuses.
    so! from your prospective and experience, what would be a decent starting point for a new driver? granted that economy is #### and there are ups and downs.
    oh, and best luck with your new employer, dear )

6. phroziac

Jun 16, 2009
    Gary, IN
    the job market depends on where you live.

right now i work for werner obviously..but the reason is that last year it was literally the only company i could get a job with. Local companies wouldnt touch me. Picked up the phone and dialed out of the yellow book the phone companies, didnt find anything. I didnt call all of them like the beer distributers etc (not listed under trucking companies) but i tried hard. Tried non driving jobs. Nothing.

I'm going to start trying for local again tomorrow. gonna bike on down to indiana and chicago to put in a couple of applications for places like con-way that demand in-person application.

I check the newspaper classifieds, they have like 6 job ads on sunday.

I live in michigan though, i know the whole country isnt quite this bad. I hope its getting better, i want a local job! :D

7. hiwayjunky

hiwayjunky Bobtail Member

Jun 9, 2010
    I use to work for Werner..never been late for a load .. never had an incident...I even been a trainer. You never know how bad they are untill you work for a company that cares. After you leave you will understand why Werner sucks so bad.. the pay is the worse in the industry and the managment treats you like crap. If you are happy with Werner it is because you don't know any better. As far as Werner goes... the grass is almost always greener on the other side.

8. phroziac

Jun 16, 2009
    Gary, IN
    Should i go work for JoB hunt? :p

9. SKIPDOG

SKIPDOG Bobtail Member

May 11, 2009
    TOMS RIVER N.J.
    I have had experince of working for both werner and JB and 20 or so additional years before for other companies ,seventeen or more between CF and Big R.

I thought I things couldn't be as bad as people said so I gave them a shot .

Werner was the worst, Jb treated me better, but I was a dedicated driver.
    Not to say they don't still have issues, (alot of unpaid time) and lazy account Mgrs. that dont even want to work a 40 hr week , any issues are resolved the for Mgnts. benifit right or not .
    They take the easy way and will kick you under the tires.
    But I am a Salty old Dog!

It's a bad job market and companies are playing it.
    I think werner should recruit driver from the homeless shelters,

10. LostSoulCA

LostSoulCA Medium Load Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Visalia, CA
    HJ, you have pretty much captured the Werner experience in 50 words or less. Now that I am an owner-op not working for Werner I probably should just read these posts and keep my thoughts to myself but, I still talk several times weekly to my Werner trainer and I am apalled at the slave-like treatment he gets. He has a new 387 and they won't get the AC fixed. His dispatcher doesn't seem to understand HOS yet everything that happens is somehow the drivers fault. I am abundantly aware that some of these problems he brings on himself but, your grass is greener statement couldn't be more on target.

11. Starchdoggy

Starchdoggy Light Load Member

Aug 6, 2007
    seated
    I still work for Werner and still think you are right. I continue to work for them because right now they are still my best option for where I live and what I want. I am home every day and make OK money doing it.

However the work week is long and the Werner Cares is only about immediate Werner family members. They only care that the driver remain expendable. Think about the Werner fuel bonus, they only give out 20 a month and how many drivers do they have?

I have made 50k a year for the past couple years with them and that is why I am still there now. I could make more, but not being home everyday so that is why I stay. I will not get into to much negative as this is a positive post and will try to leave it as such.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.