Werner Training

Discussion in 'Werner' started by BadMotherTrucker, Nov 24, 2008.

1. BadMotherTrucker

BadMotherTrucker Bobtail Member

Nov 24, 2008
    St. Helens, Oregon
    Hello All,
    This is my first time writing on this forum but I have spent a few months reading through the many different threads. I haven't found the answer to my question so I thought I would try to post it. I hope all of you Werner drivers can help me out. I start my orientation on dec. 8 in hopes that I might be able to get through half of my training and get home for my 7 day break around Christmas. Werner upped the 275BTW hours to 300BTW hours. The recruiters say it would be about 10-14 days to get through half but that since it's around Christmas time I just need to let my trainer and driver manager know I want to be home around then and they would be able to get me home when I wanted. But now that the hours have gone up I am wondering if I am pushing it too close if I should switch to dec. 3 and give myself some extra cushion. So my question is to all of the drivers who went through the training how long did your training take to get half way, if you took the 7 day break, and then to get all the way through. (I know there are many variables to this, just an aproximate would be nice)
    Thanks for taking your time to help a newbie out, I appreciate it.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. amhrdwd1

amhrdwd1 Bobtail Member

Aug 6, 2008
    Well it all depends on who you get for a trainer. If they are dedicated or OTR, Regional. I had a trainer on dedicated for my 1st half of training. My trainer was home every weekend so it took me 3 1/2 weeks to complete 1/2 of my 275. And then it depends on the runs you get (miles), your not going to log many hours if your running 300 miles every load, I'm only saying the more miles you get the easier it will be. You may get a trainer who gets good mileage and lets you rack your hours up, A friend of mine has logged over 1/2 in just under 3 weeks, it's basically the luck of the draw. If your not at your halfway point by Christmas don't count on your SDM (Student Driver Manager) giving you PTO, you'll be paying for it yourself and put on Leave of Absence, not fired, just not paid. My trainer was great, so i have no complaints there, as for my SDM, nothing good to say there, but once your through training you don't have to deal with an SDM anymore, you'll have a DM (Driver Manager) and a Dispatcher to work with and that's where it will really count. Oh and if trainers aren't available at the terminal your at when you finish orientation they may offer you to go to another terminal. I was in PA and went to TX for my 1st 1/2 of training. Hope that helps and good luck, keep a possitive attitude.

Puggsly Thanks this.
  4. bigpapa7272

bigpapa7272 Light Load Member

Sep 9, 2007
    Baltimore
    thats why im waiting til after xmas to go to orientation, I wont have to worry about being home for xmas or not.

5. mademistakesb4

mademistakesb4 Light Load Member

Oct 10, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    My first trainer was a quack and a very disturbed and racist individual against anyone not his own kind. The next trainer is a great person and we had no issues and get along fine. With the first guy I logged 20 hours in 7 days because he was a dedicated driver with the company and went home every weekend amongst other things. The 2nd trainer I was with I was able to finish my hours in 2 weeks easily but he was a 48 states driver so it just all depends on the type and personality of your trainer. I can assure you that if your scheduled for 300 hours then figure on 400 to 500 because THERE IS NOTHING IN ANY DIVISION right now for anyone, I only had to do 140 and got stuck for ALOT longer. If you are going to go with a trainer and think that you may be home for christmas then I would not count on it I would wait till after christmas to start because not that they wouldnt want to get you home but if your in Arizona and you live in Missouri then dont count on making it. Best of luck to you and I hope it all works out for the better for you.

6. Squish

Squish Bobtail Member

Dec 1, 2008
    spotsylvania. va
    badmothertrucker i reccomend calling your manager and ask if they can get you home for xmas. They didnt have a problem sending me home for thanksgiving and said it wouldnt go against getting my bonus to be home for the holliday.

7. BadMotherTrucker

Nov 24, 2008
    St. Helens, Oregon
    Thanks for all of the input. I did switch my orientation to the 3rd so I head out on wednesday. I'm just going to keep a positive attitude and hopefully I can get the days off, if not we'll just have to do a Skype christmas this year:) Thanks again for your answers. They really did help.

8. mademistakesb4

Oct 10, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    I would not rush starting with Werner right now because even if you get a trainer where you can run and suck your hours down you will still be told there is nothing available and you are either going to be required to stay on that trainers truck and go home WITHOUT PAY and be expected to call once every 1 to 2 weeks to see whats available. Its a tight time for everyone right now and believe me We Care, Werner Cares is nothing more then a PR stunt its just words to them. THEY DONT CARE if your family starves, they still will hire 2 to 3 orientation classes a week which consist of 20-30 men and women which added up is a few hundred company wide a week. They never tell you during orientation that they probaly wont have anything or you they just hope that one of the ####### out here will screw up and get fired or they will quit which opens a spot. They dont care about over hiring but they care about keeping you on a truck for welfare wages to get a cheap team on the road.

9. BadMotherTrucker

Nov 24, 2008
    St. Helens, Oregon
    I know that times are tough right now. I am expecting delays and honestly I am okay if it takes some time to get into it. This is not a needed career change but an oportunity to do something I have wanted to do for years. I will just continue to hope that everything will work out and expect to persevere where it doesn't. That's all I can do. I really enjoy reading the responses to my question. I want to thank you all again for taking your time to give me your input. In the meantime I will just enjoy the opportunity that has been given. I look forward to the adventure that lies ahead. See you out there.....

10. Tai Mia Shu

Tai Mia Shu Bobtail Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Hey guys and gals, I just wanted to join in on this conversation seeing as I start orientation tomorrow Dec. 3rd in Allentown. Reading all these posts gives me somewhat of a heads up and Ill do my best to try to keep you guys informed with whats happening on my end. I know times are tight and I am prepared for a rough start, I just hope we can at least make it through and not get let go before we even start.

11. mademistakesb4

Oct 10, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    They wont let you go they will just make you choose to make trainee pay for several months which if you have a family and financial responsibilities then its not really a good opportunity unless you count being broke and losing your power and having a hard time feeding your family as opportunity. If I didnt have a family I wouldnt care but its very hard to do this while watching your family be in a bind, WERNER DOES NOT CARE, they put a good foot forward in the beginning but throw you to the wolves later

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.