Werner training

Discussion in 'Werner' started by Git_R_Done, Dec 15, 2008.

1. Git_R_Done

Git_R_Done Bobtail Member

Oct 25, 2008
    Maricopa, Arizona
    i have a quick question about Werner trainer I know they team train but the thing I've heard rumors about is when you get put with a trainer that they can toss you the keys and say drive here then wake me up when your out of hours is this true cause I really don't call that training or do they sit in the passanger seat and help you out when you need it

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lilbit

Lilbit Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Let me check my logbook
    The trainer my hubby had with Werner was a good trainer and made sure my hubby learned the stuff he should. They were running as a team after the first couple weeks, but my hubby could always wake his trainer up to ask him questions or get help with things if he needed it. My hubby is still in contact with his trainer as they ended up becoming friends. Hopefully, you get a good one!

4. Git_R_Done

Git_R_Done Bobtail Member

Oct 25, 2008
    Maricopa, Arizona
    I hope I get a good trainer also thats the only thing thats worries me is being with sombody you don't know for that period of time

5. Nuclear03

Nuclear03 Bobtail Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Danville, IL
    My students get me in the front seat for the first week, then we go from there. Any down time we have in a TS/drop yard we spend backing in various situations. I've had one student that I slept while he was driving in the first week, outside of that I sit with all my students at least a week or until I feel they are safe enough to drive.

cpassey, Git_R_Done and Lilbit Thank this.
  6. cpassey

cpassey Light Load Member

You've been driving for less than a year and you're a trainer???:biggrin_2554:

7. caraldo

caraldo Light Load Member

Feb 16, 2008
    northern,mi
    That is standard for all the starter companies.

8. Lilbit

Lilbit Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Let me check my logbook
    Sure enough is standard. My first trainer only had 6 months. He was a walking distaster, but he would have been a walking disaster after 10 years.

9. cpassey

cpassey Light Load Member

Wow!!! That's pretty scary...:biggrin_2554:I was actually considering Werner...:biggrin_2551:
    But I've already got pre-hires to Gordon and May, So I'll go with one of them...:yes2557:

Gordon has lots of frieght...:biggrin_255:

10. monster28

monster28 Bobtail Member

Aug 24, 2008
    santa maria ca
    i am in traning with werner and i have to say u got to be picky with who get for a trainer i got a bad one at frist and now i am with a very good one and for the frist week they stay up with u and make sure that u can drive then they go from there. its pertty easy and for miles they are good werner treats u like a team when ur trainer saids ur ready and u get a lot of miles and time behind the wheel and theres alot of drop and hook. the paperless log arent that bad a lil hard to learn at fristi think theres like 65 micros oh and the pay for learning isnt all that the best thing that work for me is take a 150 draw aweek and live off that and leave the rest on the efs card werner isnt really that bad to work for they have treated me very good they are trying to mkae things better for there drivers and the per miles are low but with that u get more miles insed of someone that pays a high per mile they give u less miles so werner is better to go with coz they have all the miles. and with all that said i am just a driver

11. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    There's a lot of turnover of drivers in the industry. Keeping experinced and safe drivers is a problem, and keeping them on as instructors is a bigger problem. Thus the problem of relatively inexperienced drivers teaching students. Yes it is scary. The primary motivation of many inexperienced instructors is money. You get paid to teach, you get paid to drive - and you can drive a lot more with a student taking the wheel. Especially since you can pay that student practically nothing. That's the way it is.

Life in the cab of a truck is a very small world, and you will get to know your instructor quite well - like it or not. You need to do a good job during the initial contact with this person - treat it as an interview, because that is what it is. Be sure that you can co-exist with this person for the training period; it's what will determine whether or not you have a future in this career field. That being said, at least one of the companies you mentioned has a serious problem with the numbers of instructors they can retain, and you may wait up to a month to be assigned to one after you finish your basic driving school. It's a problem that is industry-wide.

My personal preference of the three mentioned would be May - I was impressed with them when I was first starting - I don't work for them. Gordon next, followed by Werner. All of them have strengths and weaknesses as companies. Realize that the goal of the companies is to get you out onto the road pulling freight as quickly as possible. Not all companies are intent on producing safe drivers, and not all of them give a #### because the bottom line is that they can blame all training deficiencies on the driver - you.

Your goal is to gain a foot hold in a career that will serve you for some time. Choose the company you train with well. The companies offering the shortest training periods and apprentiships are not necessarily the best choices. A lot of them throw novice drivers into the deep end, and the results are appearant - newbs struggling to do a job they aren't prepared for. There are consequences to this approach, and they can be quite humorous. Or deadly.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.