Werner_ How they treat their Drivers

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by OrionMace, Nov 25, 2009.

1. phroziac

phroziac Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Gary, IN
    The trainer observing time is based on the paperless logs. The trainer logs line 4 and puts in for the reason "trainer observation", and it counts towards it. My trainer did it a few timse while he was sleeping. But he also observed on line 2 quite a few times, so I guess it evens out, whatever. heh.

The way werner installs aftermarket equipment, i have a hard time believing they can put cameras in trucks without it being noticable at ALL. Maybe hard to notice.

They also have some trucks with the roll control and hard braking sensors, and that if you brake excessively or set the roll control alarm off, it tells them and you'll basically get an IMMEDIATE call if it happens. They sent this message on the qualcomm a while back, and I'm wondering about it..seems fishy..

I set the roll control alarm off a lot on my truck. Its touchy. no calls. hm.

JimTheHut and david07003 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. passingthru69

passingthru69 Road Train Member

Ok, I have a question.
    can you set off the roll alarm if you are sitting still?
    Can you stand in the cab and rock it side to side?

If so you could have alot of fun with it..

Hanadarko Thanks this.
  4. OrionMace

OrionMace Bobtail Member

Nov 18, 2009
    My ##### session time once again. I am due home tomorrow (Sunday) and i am getting set with a load for Chicago on Tuesday, My two days will not happen because it is 9 plus hours from where I am in Virginia to Indianapolis alone. My home is another two hours NW of Indianapolis. Here is my real #####, the dispatcher who did this to me set up a Swap, it fell thru, then they sent me further away from home to another swap and I am now stuck with this load. If I follow what my trainer and a trainer friend has told me, they will take this load off of me, because i can't take a load home. He told me to stay on them and ensure this happens. Next, the directions they gave me took me thru some of the hardest mountains in WV and my google and Rand McNally directions take me all the way interstate and it saves me time, hauling 42000 tomorrow. I know they read these sites, but it frosts my ##### that we get shafted while the dispatchers get to go home nightly and for the most part get the weekends off. All I can do is get this load to Indy, take personal drive time and go home. At least that is what i would like to happen.:biggrin_2554:

5. Guitar Man

Guitar Man Medium Load Member

Sep 29, 2006
    State Of Confusion
    Ask him if his office has heat.:yes2557:Tell him to move his desk out into the parking lot to get an idea of what he expects you to go through.

6. southbaydad

southbaydad Light Load Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Arizona
    I had a Werner recruiter call me today and I asked her how the payscale worked. She said it is a sliding scale depending on how long the run is. The longer runs pay .21 and the shorter pay .41cpm. She said it is the same pay for a person just finishing their 300 Hr / 6-8 week training as it is for someone that's been their for years. Is that true???? All u Werner guys that have been there for years ony get .21 cpm?

7. phroziac

Jun 16, 2009
    Gary, IN
    nope, sure cant. I suspect it measures g forces. But, what mine does is this

Note that this all assumes summer driving conditions. I drive a lot slower when thers a chance of slipperyness, so it doesnt do this then...heh...

Sometimes if i get on the highway on a tight cloverleaf ramp, and smash the throttle as soon as my tractor is straightened out (to be able to merge at a halfway reasonable speed), it goes off. Its like it thinks im mashing it while im still turning. What happens is it has a buzzer and says on the on dash display, "Rollover risk detected! reduce speed by atleast 3 mph!". That's as far into the roll control system as i've experienced. If the rollover risk continues, it reduces speed FOR YOU to prevent it. Maybe thats the point when it tells on you, i dunno.

Sometimes if i make a right turn fast, it does it. But it goes off after im straightened out, so i totally dont get that. I usually dont make turns fast, but in good conditions where theres no doubt im not taking anything out, why not.. ;)

If its reactions are that delayed, then....i dont see how it would prevent a rollover at all...

8. ChromeDome

ChromeDome Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Lakeland, FL
    Slowing down quickly in a corner is a good way to make yourself roll over. That is why you are never supposed to use the brakes or jake on a curve.
    But heck, what do I know. These safety guys and roll prevention system people must know more than I do.

9. phroziac

Jun 16, 2009
    Gary, IN
    Ive been paid 25cpm on loads shorter than loads i got paid 38cpm on. Pay depends on division, im midwest and minimum is 25cpm. Also, we dont have the $20 shag pay plus milage, instead, we get a minimum of $40 for any load...if milage equals less than $40, i get $40. Nice way to do it, cause if you have one mile more than 100, you get screwed out of your shag pay..

i had a load a while back where it was 40 miles total, took about an hour to pick the load up and split it, and man, fastest money i ever made! :p

I'd go crazy if i worked for a big company for more than a couple years unless i got a dedicated run, and their dedicated runs mostly pay really well....

southbaydad Thanks this.
  10. southbaydad

southbaydad Light Load Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Arizona
    ok thx for the info, do u like the company??? I am not tryin to slam u or nuttin but I have heard so many bad things about them like deducting pay for dumb stuff, and misguided things in general, I guess the recruiter was not "milkng me" and was straight up by telling me .21 for all long hauls but then again it's like u said ----it depends on the division. She was saying I would be running the western (lower canada and western US) she said I could transfer at a later date to a different division........if they were hiring but she didnt say the pay would be different.
    I just dont like the 300 hour training at 325 per week..!! for 8 weeks ouch!

11. phroziac

Jun 16, 2009
    Gary, IN
    ChromeDome, is that directed to me? I didn't realize that...so do you think the roll advisor is actually going to cause an accident? o_O

southbaydad, Maybe payroll is just a bunch of IDIOTS. That's a very possible situation. In my case, it sure seems like they are paying me based on a percentage, essentially. As for the 21 cents per mile, your division apparently makes less per mile than mine. But yours probably gets more miles than mine too, so it'll probably end up about the same as i make if you work hard. Not that that's FAIR, but it is trucking.

I have not had any problems with werner. I got a good daytime dispatcher at first, did great. They switched my dispatcher, i was scared, but *shock*, hes also a good daytime dispatcher! I'm doing great. People say i'm not making money but $700 gross a week sure is a lot to be making when the economy where i live is so trashed.

By the way, I live in michigan and werner is one of VERY FEW companies that will hire michigan drivers..even though i live 20 minuets from indiana. *eyeroll* ...infact, for a long time, they werent hiring michigan drivers either.

i dont get any stupid payroll deductions but I don't always get reimbursed for what i should. But thats any company. MOST of them do get reimbursed, ive only had one big one missed so far and im calling them on monday to raise hell. :)

By the way, you better be prepared to RUN. If you want to run really hard, show your dispatcher you can right out of the gate. Get every load there early. I usually roll every load as fast as possible, even if it means im going to get to the consignee 48 hours early....I get a lot of runs that have a lot of extra time to get there, and they let me drop the load in a yard for later delivery. When I run out of hours, I do those deliveries for other people, which is fine to me.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.