Werner_ How they treat their Drivers

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by OrionMace, Nov 25, 2009.

1. telcobilly

telcobilly Medium Load Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Laying Low
    LOL! I appreciate your input RickG, I for one have a hard time volunteering for a ##$%ing from a co just to pay to drive their truck. I got my wakeup call when I started driving for Swift after school last year. My trainer told me to enjoy the training pay as it was probably better than what I was going to see as a solo driver, how right he was!

How do you go about getting one of those small co jobs in this economy? I'm currently unemployed and am hitting nothing but dry holes. I won't go to one of these big OTR co's after my last experience.

I signed up here on this forum before I got into trucking and I like so many other newbies just ignored the experienced drivers here by dismissing them as sour, bad apples. Don't do it!! Read these forums and do some soul searching if you are an outsider to trucking. Go to truck stops and if you see someone not in a huge hurry, try to strike up a conversation. Learn, learn, learn all you can before you jump in!

Hanadarko Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. OrionMace

OrionMace Bobtail Member

Nov 18, 2009
    A few things, first, got a summons in VA, the mountains early Sunday morning, looking for a law firm that will not rip me off and take care of the ticket, suggestions please. This is the biggie.
    Second, my best friend in trucking, a man I trained with has left the company today, got himself a job driving locally in his home area around Goshen, IN. I'll miss talking with him daily.
    Third. Werner tried to screw me this weekend. I was due home suinday, made it in after 1800
    Sunday night. They put a load on me that delivers Tuesday morning. I asked for a swap all weekend and was told that they were trying. Trying my #####, there were 20 drivers waiting around the terminal in Indy. At anytime they could have told me to drop the trailor in Indy and head home, but no, I had to bring it home, Dispatchers screwed this one up big time. They wanted me to take the load to Chicago and head out from there tomorrow, which is my 2nd day off. I told my dispatcher this morning that I would deliver to Chicago and then go home for the rest of my day off. he was hesitant, but Ai was insistent, stood my ground with him, as my friends and the man who instructed innformed to do. I deliver in Chicago at 0700 and as soon as the load is off, i head home to come out on wed morninf for a week of running to Christmas.
    lastly, I think that the information I have been getting here is fantastic and I wish to thank everyone for their inputs.:biggrin_25520:

4. david07003

david07003 Light Load Member

Whats the summons for?

5. moreaujeremy

moreaujeremy Bobtail Member

Nov 23, 2009
    rockford il
    You don't stay because you love it.You stay because it pays the bill's.Most driver's you find have lost a wife at least once and that's just the reality of this industry.It is not easy being a driver but for SOME it is all there is.If you think people stay in it because they love it you are wrong.Maybe some do it because they absolutly love it but not many.

6. jtrnr1951

jtrnr1951 Road Train Member

Ticketed for impersonating a truck driver !!

7. Lurchgs

Lurchgs Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2008
    Denver, CO
    Heh - not gonna dispute that, but you can count me in that 'not many'. Left a corner office for the road, and found I absolutely love it. Circumstances have me running local/regional for a small small company, but in the past year, we've gone from 2 trucks to 5, with at least two more coming on in January.

It's a lot of fun, and a challenge to grow, but I'd still rather be OTR.

8. Hanadarko

Hanadarko Independent Owner/Operator

Oct 1, 2009
    Midwest
    I too loved the road. I want to go back but trying to figure out how to pay bills, since driving doesnt seem to be paying diddle right now...

Wife ain't behind that either...so thats a double whammy.

:biggrin_2556:

9. OrionMace

OrionMace Bobtail Member

Nov 18, 2009
    I didnt reactg quickly enough to an emergency situation in front of that I did not see due to fog on the mountain. I was on top of it at 55mph when I just went thru it. I was slowing down, just not quickly enough for the Trooper. He was pissed off and I don't blame him, however I really did not see it until I was on top of the situation.

10. Lurchgs

Lurchgs Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2008
    Denver, CO
    yah.. that can put the kabosh on a lot of things. fortunately, my wife and kids are at least not against it. And yeah, if it was just me earning for the family, no way would I even consider trucking.

11. david07003

david07003 Light Load Member

Before the court starts (traffic court), there will be a line of people outside the prosecutors office. These are the lawyers lowering their defendents tickets. If you got a ticket for reckless driving, then your lawyer will lower it to careless driving. Sometimes, they will agree to a higher fine in lieu of points. This is done so that your lawyer dosent keep the judge and the rest of the clowns there till late. So, to save money, bring $100 bill to court and ask one of these attorneys to represent you before court starts to the prosecutor. Otherwise, you are going to have to get a an attorney to come to court with you which is not cheap. Plus your attorney will tell you that they are doing all of these things for your case, but in reality, her or she is just doing what the other attorneys are doing for their clients.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.