Western Canadian Trucking Companies Van/Reefer: The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by canadian, Jul 12, 2018.

1. canadian

canadian Light Load Member

Jan 8, 2010
    Surrey, British Columbia
    If you're in the Van/Reefer market I thought it would be a good idea to have a Western Canadian version of the "good and bad companies", since many drivers out west in BC, AB, and SK who are doing a job search need a quick way to check out a company's review.

This would be a good place to discuss your recommendations for a company, give a reference to other job seekers asking about it, let everyone know where the company could improve upon their already great reputation, then Let us know what you liked about the company, what the company culture was like, what the pay was like, what made the job a keeper, etc.

If you've successfully won a judgement against an employer, or your employer is violating the labour laws, or has a bad attitude, is incompetent, is not paying you properly, is not reporting your pay properly, has unsafe work conditions, is timing your runs too tight, not giving you enough lead time on a move, run down equipment, refusing repairs, you had to deal with terrible customers who treated you like an animal, absent management, had issues with how you were paid, had issues with safety, made you run tired, made you falsify your logs, expected you to sit and wait for free, had issues with fights over getting trucks fixed, had issues with getting laid off for days or weeks without pay suddenly, favoritism on who got the work when there was slowdowns, or whatever else you feel is not right please let us all know. Sunshine is the best disinfectant and you're helping to protect other families from getting hurt.

Canucklehead Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Canucklehead

Canucklehead Medium Load Member

Feb 25, 2010
    Vancouver BC
    I can think of only two companies, in the last 39 years, that were any good and I enjoyed working with them. Sadly, they are long gone now.

4. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    I guess they've all moved down south to work for Swift transport anything would be better than that. Heeey?

5. heavyhaulcanadian

heavyhaulcanadian Light Load Member

Aug 25, 2018
    Is there any good companies in that market? They’ve seen to all gone downhill because it a job almost anyone can do.

6. canadian

Jan 8, 2010
    Surrey, British Columbia
    Well it costs about the same as a university degree to train a driver to do a job that "almost anyone can do." So what would you prefer to do if you had the money for University? Drive a truck?

7. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    Say what? o_O

Not even close.

8. canadian

Jan 8, 2010
    Surrey, British Columbia
    How much did you pay for your training?

9. heavyhaulcanadian

heavyhaulcanadian Light Load Member

Aug 25, 2018
    I paid 5 grand at a local Vancouver driving school. That’s no where near even what a degree would cost. I’ve worked my way into a specialty sector of the industry in my short 8 year career making over a 100 grand. I’m doing better than most of my college and university educated friends. Alberta still pays even better than for what type of work I do but I just love everything bc has to offer.

not4hire and canadian Thank this.
  10. Canucklehead

Canucklehead Medium Load Member

Feb 25, 2010
    Vancouver BC
    Shhhh... I'll tell you a secret.

I graduated with a double major a zillion years ago.

Confessional over, resume thread.

not4hire and canadian Thank this.
  11. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    Nothing; I was paid (~$5,000/m in 2018 dollars).

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.