Western Star 5700 xe RPM spikes

Discussion in 'Western Star Forum' started by Triker Kev, Jul 5, 2018.

1. Triker Kev

Triker Kev Bobtail Member

Jan 19, 2017
    I drive a 2016 western Star 5700xe with Detroit engine, and 18 speed manual transmission.
    When driving on the highway and changing gears at times the RPM suddenly spikes up to 2500 between gears.
    My company has accused me of abusive driving habits, but I have been driving for 30 years and have never abused a vehicle.
    I think the computer is wonky and when I change gears: clutch in, accelerator off, shifter pushed/pulled out of gear, clutch out, clutch in (RPM's spike) I freeze and then tap the accelerator RPM's drop and I then put it into another gear.
    The accelerator is not sticking because when you take your foot off it - RPM's drop normally.
    Has anyone else had this problem?
    Does anyone know how to fix the problem?
    Thanks Kevin

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cetane+

Cetane+ Road Train Member

Sep 29, 2013
    Albany, NY
    First question would be is it consistent? Can you reproduce it on demand? Because it’s just an anomaly in the electronic system. The ecm is getting a signal from something to increase throttle momentarily. So you need a ride with a technician connected to the ecm when this happens to see what is happening.

4. Triker Kev

Jan 19, 2017
    Here is what I have found out since my last post, the cruise control is not shutting off when you push the clutch pedal in to drop a gear - the ECM is making the engine run up to 2500 RPM's when the transmission is in neutral (between gears) and the clutch pedal is in.
    I have asked them to fix the problem, but they have ignored my requests.
    I now have to manually turn off the cruise control before changing gears - i.e. when dropping a gear or two to climb a hill.
    Please be advised that the dealer is trying to void the engine warranty based on over revving - but it is the ECM that is doing the over revving.
    I hope this helps anyone else with the same problem.

5. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    I have a DD16 with and Eaton UltraShift, so any high rpms are completely at the discretion of the transmission.
    If I start out in first or second it will wind it up to 2300 rpm hold it there for 4 seconds before it finally decides to upshift. And yet the rev limiter is set at 2200 rpm.

Cetane+ Thanks this.
  6. Triker Kev

Jan 19, 2017
    Thanks for info lets keep the info flowing to protect our jobs.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.