Western Star 5700XE Broken sun visor bolt studs

Discussion in 'Western Star Forum' started by ShortCircuit, Sep 7, 2018.

1. ShortCircuit

ShortCircuit Bobtail Member

May 7, 2017
    Hi guys, I have recently acquired 2017 Western Star 5700 awesome truck, so far love it. Few minor issues I hope you can suggest how to remedy. When I picked up the truck on the way home I noticed the sun visor was rattling a bit, figured the nuts needed to be tightened. When I got home I discovered the two lower bolt studs that hold the sun visor bracket are snapped off. When I took off the interior panel above the dashboard from the inside the cab in attempt to reach behind the studs I discovered the cabin has interior metal layer and the backside of these bolts is unreachable.

How would you proceed with this repair? I was thinking just welding on two small SS bolts on top to reattach the visor bracket, however that seems like an ugly solution. Has anyone removed these bolts?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    Some times you can take a mig welder and zap the broken bolts a little and then weld a small bolt on them and then take a wrench and then back the broken bolts out.

4. boneebone

boneebone Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2009
    If your truck is a 2017, than it has a factory warranty left.

Take it to the Freightliner Stealership bodyshop and tell them to fix it.

It's a manufacture's defect.

5. ShortCircuit

ShortCircuit Bobtail Member

May 7, 2017
    I agree, however the closest Freightliner dealer with a body shop is 220 miles away from me and I'm hoping to get out and pull some freight after this weekend. My friends truck been in bodyshop for 5 weeks waiting on repair after someone backed in to him at the truckstop. Already spent the entire week doing maintenance and waiting on registration, decals, and ELD to come in.

baha Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.