What about Gliders? DIY or purchase a kit?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by WildTxn, Feb 24, 2018.

1. WildTxn

WildTxn Light Load Member

Feb 19, 2018
    I will say that because I once rebuilt heavy machinery, and engines, I do have the experience and tools needed to put a glider together. However, I see most people have someone else do this. Can an individual still buy a glider kit? Are the engine, tranny, driveline and diff., rebuilders reputable? Is this a good way to get a custom sleeper? This probably would mean staying away from any runs into Cali.

If self assembled, would a glider save much money? Or maybe the savings would be later in fuel costs with a more efficient engine.

May want to add a switch so I can roll coal when I pass one of those tree hugging mini cooper 4 wheelers with all those peace signs though.

Do DOT roadworthy inspections respect well done glider assemblies by an individual?

While I am a very good mechanic from being in the machinery and gear business, that doesn't mean I want to continue doing this as I age. I would rather drive. Had enough of a taste of this to know it is the future. I actually have had a good taste of mountain driving with a 10 speed manual. Love it! Then again, I have always loved mountains in anything else too. Ya have to kiss fuel efficiency goodby, and add an extra hour or two to trip planning though.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Caterpillar Cowboy

Caterpillar Cowboy Heavy Load Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Wyoming
    You can still get one from KW or Pete, but I was talking with a Peterbilt dealer in December while getting hydraulic lines switched on a trailer I was buying from them, and he told me theres a good deal of trouble to get them. Something to do with Fitzgerald and the other dealer scale outfits buying all of the ones allocated from corporate.

For my next ride if I don't find something decent used at a good price I'm seriously thinking about rebuilding a wrecked truck with a good cab, or getting a really far gone old one and going through and updating the whole thing. I don't care for the new trucks ergonomically correct cabs anyways.

4. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Two things

You ain't a driver are you?

Add a switch to roll coal?

Trucks are not fords.

Hey cat cowboy, I had a discussion with my sales dweeb and he said I could order a kw for now but they don't like to send them to an individual not because of the fitz mess but because there is a support problem with individuals building them, they don't like to deal with individuals trying to figure out why the truck doesn't work. I am thinkng of ordering a few to just put away and sell off when they are not allowed to be sold by kw any more.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  5. Caterpillar Cowboy

Nov 11, 2010
    Wyoming
    Yeah, I haven't talked to KW recently about them. I spec'ed one out 3 years ago and gave the salesman about three pages worth of my spec's, and he came back to me with about 2 pages worth of what was close, but still had stuff I absolutely did not want. I ended up finding my 2000 a few weeks later and after owning it for two years and getting all the kinks ironed out and changed a few things on it I couldn't be happier. As I've posted on here several times I really really much prefer the late 90's KW cabs to the new stuff. Not a big Pete guy, after having a bad taste in my mouth from a highway truck converted to a dump truck, but picking up that used side dump from this dealer if I ever got to where a new truck would pencil and I had a driver for it I would seriously consider a new Pete based on that buying experience.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  6. Working2party

Working2party Medium Load Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Kansas
    I read somewhere, or may it was a topic of conversation. So basicly this may be no more than a rumor.., but it maybe something to check out just in case, before you purchase a glider.
    There are still DOT requirements when buying a glider. The kicker is that the engine blocks installed in them can’t be any older than 10 years and are required to meet emissions for that year which takes fun out of all of it since there was such great luck with 07 emission engines.

But that maybe just a rumor. I’ve heard wrong before.

7. Tug Toy

Tug Toy Road Train Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    I tried to order a freightliner last January(2017) and they wouldn’t sell me one. You can only buy a % of the highest year you built in the past. So...... if you haven’t built one in the past your out of luck unless you have someone else willing to give up one of there orders.

You can buy them complete from builders but it’s very difficult to get one that still needs to be completed if you don’t have documentation of one in the past.

It’s not about saving money on the build. It’s about saving money on the road.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  8. StrokerTSi

StrokerTSi Medium Load Member

Aug 28, 2016
    I would find an old truck and just rebuild/restomod it. I would love to get an old w900a and put late 90s era goodies in it.

9. Caterpillar Cowboy

Nov 11, 2010
    Wyoming
    My current dream project involves a Kenworth B cab and putting a butterfly hood and fenders on it, real old school cool! Or just find a LW

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  10. WildTxn

WildTxn Light Load Member

Feb 19, 2018
    On the switch thing....

All glider engines I would be interested in will be HPFR electronic fuel injectors. They go back well before most of the emissions BS. The computers are set to limit over fueling for many good reasons, like melting a piston. They just barely get to the smoke point. Older mechanically injected engined trucks easily would over fuel and make more power. You had to be careful about overheating though.

There are many ways to trick the modern computer into giving more fuel. Most will involve a switch to flip to activate the "cheat" mode. Black smoke and a lot more power will result. Better use that hammer foot only for short bursts though. Using this very much can cause damage and certainly will wreck your fuel budget.

Ever see the tractor pulls that use souped up bobtails?

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  11. Tall Mike

Tall Mike Road Train Member

Aug 20, 2014
    New York
    All our gliders are 2015 and newer with pre 99 motors in them..

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.