What About this >> Amsoil Filtration System - to keep the oil clean

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by JerryD13, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Rob100100

Rob100100 Light Load Member

Mar 5, 2016
    This is getting a little off topic but with the Volvo engine I think the current system Volvo uses for filters is the best. If you add another filter you add another failure point. Does the oil flow slow because of the extra filter, is the extra cleaning worth the extra cost.

As far as oil changes go I prefer to have a Volvo dealership do a full pm and check 22 and I have it done every 25000 miles with an oil analysis every 2nd change. Yes it is more expensive than doing it yourself. But having a tech go over my truck every two months has saved me thousands of dollar in downtime and additional on the road repair costs.

For example at my last pm when the engine ecm was hooked up to the laptop the EGR DELTA P SENSOR Was out of its normal operating range. It was failing and the dealership found the wiring harness was faulty as well. No codes no cel light before and this could have cost me a huge penalty if the engine needed service on the road as I was leaving to do a time critical trip. The dealership did it with no fuss and had all the parts ready.

This wasn't the first one either. Oil changes/pm's are something each owner decides on. How they do it and at what cost is their decision. If you feel it is worthwhile then do it.

Volvo8873 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Sharky88

Sharky88 Heavy Load Member

Sep 25, 2013
    An oil change is cheaper then a motor. A lot of people use these secondary bypass filters and swore by them. Me st are expensive, and all your really doing is not changing your oil. One of our drivers has the amsoil system. He has never changed his oil in over 400k miles!!! He replaces filters and adds when needed. Ok is he saving money on an oil change. Sure but I wouldn't do it. If you can't afford to change your oil you shouldn't own a truck.

4. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    Amen.

Amsoil is great stuff but change the freaking oil!

Oil is relatively cheap in the miles you have run compared to revenue the truck has made you !

BTW their "max duty" signature 5-30 synthetic is awesome stuff , i changed to it from Delo synthetic and I've seen a noticeable mileage increase. Pretty crazy!

Volvo8873 Thanks this.
  5. Volvo8873

Volvo8873 Light Load Member

Apr 27, 2016
    Western Wisconsin
    Ever since I fixed that pesky oil leaking injector harness on my d12 I have been thinking of giving Rotella T6 5w40 a try. But I cant see it being any better than what I am using really.

6. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    Yes for old trucks, with some of the more modern oils there's probably no real need for them.

7. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    My truck has the three filter housing and you know my cam went at 375k, other trucks with D13 did too. My truck has low idle time too, less than one percent. I would trust a system like the amsoil like my dad has that actively filters 10 percent over three filters like fleet guard. It's nice when you just open the drain and fill an oil sample, and the big filter is good to 100k. $329 is well worth it.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  8. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    What oil and what viscosity ?

What was the interval and what filters did you use?

Did you change the stock bypass filter part way through the interval?

Thanks

9. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    15w40 originally recently switched to 10w30. Fleetguard oil filters, 30k mile changes, no bypass filter changes done until oil change.

10. Sharky88

Sharky88 Heavy Load Member

Sep 25, 2013
    That's the whole reason I will never let my oil go that long. Call me old school but I get it done every 15K. With all the new emissions as well as egr there is too much soot in the oil. Yes they all claim that their oil can handle it but I rather be safe.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.