What about ups tractor trailer?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by ad356, Aug 24, 2019.

1. FlaSwampRat

FlaSwampRat Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    It was ####ing incredible 0 copays on anything ever. It was so good that when the Obama care thing was starting he called out UPS by name saying we would have to pay tax on it to cover the ACA because it was too good lol. It was UPS and like three other companies that were gonna have to pay. I think even with team care now you get taxed on anything over 20k or something, I'm not sure...I got out before all that started to crumble because now that that door is open it can never be shut again

authentic251 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. authentic251

authentic251 Light Load Member

Jul 4, 2018
    Every time you post I start to consider construction work again. It was interesting work and having a cdl now seems it would be even better especially in a union shop.

Fold_Moiler and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  4. FlaSwampRat

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    It's a great job it just isn't what it was. I worked there since I was a teenager. I loaded trucks, fixed trucks, drive a package car, drove feeder.....all in the 4tg largest hub in the US so there isn't much I don't know about the company lol. Guys like to argue it with me every now and then but I was chucking boxes off a package car when they were still delivering dominoes lol.

5. FlaSwampRat

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    Look at it this way. When I the history of the company EVER have they been doing street hires? Preloaders would relocate for the jobs back in the day, I know several that did....that should tell you something. Even the part timers don't wanna drive anymore.

6. LtlAnonymous

LtlAnonymous Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2016
    One of my main wishes in all the conversations we have had, which have been fantastic conversations btw, is just that you had worked for a better terminal. I just really feel like you'd still be here, if things hadn't been the way they were at the terminal you worked.

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  7. LtlAnonymous

Dec 23, 2016
    But overall, THAT is 100% true. Lol

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  8. LtlAnonymous

Dec 23, 2016
    There IS that forum, but...I dunno. It's a lot of complaining to me at times. I make an appearance now and again, but I'm mostly uninvolved.

9. LtlAnonymous

Dec 23, 2016
    A big part of that issue is the starting pay. It's hard to attract new drivers at $20 per hour in a lot of places, especially urban areas.

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  10. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    You have to also look at the work force available these days, it is a different animal and people are not at the work their way up mode anymore.
    I am not saying you are wrong about anything you said, infact I read up on UPS and their criteria for buying new trucks years ago and know what you are talking about,But while those trucks didn't change, people did, and that may partially be the reason they now hire off the drivers street.

FlaSwampRat and LtlAnonymous Thank this.
  11. FlaSwampRat

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    They are all the same I worked out of three. It is a publicly held company that is out to #### everyone out of every penny they can....it used to be about taking care of customers. I was one of the part timers that bounced to follow work, how do ya think I ended up in Pennsylvania lol. It wasn't because I really wanted to go live in the snow lol. I wouldn't be there for $50/hr now at any terminal lol. I loved every minute of it and I miss it daily but like I have pointed out with several different things.... it's going downhill. You yourself even admitted the shareholders would guy the company if they could. Two contracts ago we never voted that contract in and we just got over ruled.......not a good sign. That was the end of the kick-### health care that they said was a trade for better 9.5 language that changed nothing. The fact that they are street hiring anywhere is a bad sign, prior to five or six years ago preloaders would have been relocating everywhere to fill those jobs kinda like I did and about 40 people at my building. (600 package cars, 102 feeder trips so not a small building). It's working out great for people like you and I believe it will continue to buy like I've said before...let's have this talk again in ten years lol. U have forgotten more about that company's ins and outs then most could ever hope to know. Lisr of jobs I've done there. Sort isle, unload, load package car, load bulk mall truck and trailer, drive irreg train, aux sort, pickoff. Mechanic in automotive (actually made a higher hourly rate here but the benefits weren't the best, wonder if it's still that way), worked the air ramp,, drove a package car, did straight truck p&d in a 26' truck, drove a feeder, then back to a package car. When I requested my withdrawal card and pension paperwork I had two center managers and two on road sups along with the building manager trying to get me to go into management since I know just about every single job in the business. I can tell you 10,000 ways they are shortchanging the employees and 1,000,000 different ways they are doing the customers wrong. It used to be a joke that we needed sunny delay for late air in the board, they would tell us to tell customers it was storming elsewhere in the country when it wasn't so we could use weather delay and not pay the customers for failed service. That's nation wide. Mileage can't be justified to run off misloads so now you put it in as a bad address so you can bang the shipper $5 for a correction and deliver it a day late without paying the customer for the service we failed on, 99% of them slip thru the cracks and people just pay it. Drive past something and miss the delivery? Don't go back unless you pass it during your pickups because that's extra miles, put it in as a bad address. Sou D's like a real honest place when you hear those things doesn't it. Nation wide they plan on 13% FREE LABOR by sending preloaders home and knowing package car drivers will get pissed off and load it themselves....sounds like things good people do right? We had a driver fall between two trucks and had to sue because they denied workman's comp after they sent his loader home and expected him to do it off the clock like he ended up doing....I really hate putting stuff out there like this because it feels like I'm airing out someone's dirty laundry but I'm telling yall I ain't talking out of my ###. Y'all will never know the ins and outs like I do....you can't....you are in one job that you will be in until you retire. It will be easier for you guys because you started after the #### really started going downhill so it's all you know. You will make a ton of money and my suggestion is save the ever loving #### out of it so you can do what I did. This is a huge corporation run by shareholders, your boss does nothing but waste trees the same as his boss....they hold no power, it all comes down to what looks good on paper, doesn't matter what's actually happening as long as it looks good on paper.

LtlAnonymous Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.