What are average hot shot rates?

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by htowndrives, Jan 5, 2023.

1. htowndrives

htowndrives Bobtail Member

Jan 5, 2023
    So i am a PM for a construction company. Ive notice im paying out the ### for hot shot trucks to deliver materials and equipment to jobsites around the country. we always issue a PO to a freight broker to find us the hot shot trucks. ive spoken to a few hot shot drivers that have done deliveries for me and they say they are being paid a way lower price than the freight broker is charging us. for example i paid $1900 for a hot shot to pick up a 25 ft enclosed trailer from west texas and haul it to houston. i figured if im going to be paying this much for freight then i may as well have my brother start an llc and get a freight broker license and ill just single source everything to him. im sending 4-12 hot shot trucks a week. he wants to pay the hot shot drivers a fair amount of money and just be taking some off the top. what are average mileage rates for loads under 10k lbs? would $2/ mile be a fair price for a 1500 lb pallet to go 375 miles?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Concorde

Concorde Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2016
    West Melbourne Florida
    You could get a semi to do it for $1.50 per mile and they’ll be smiling..

Lite bug Thanks this.
  4. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    It won't be one of my semis, though.

5. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    1500lbs pallet is getting delivered with cargo vans all day long at $1.2-1.3 per mile

Lite bug and Concorde Thank this.
  6. RustyRod

RustyRod Light Load Member

Feb 14, 2021
    Don't confuse the OP. No semi can make money at 1.50 or below. Those who say they do haven't done the math properly, that's why they go broke. 2 per mile for hotshot may be alright, I don't do hotshot so I'm not 100% sure.

Lite bug Thanks this.
  7. Lite bug

Lite bug Road Train Member

May 3, 2014
    Columbus Ohio
    I do hotshot and will not do $2 a mile over that distance because I would have to come back bringing all miles to $1 a mile. Cargo van may be able to do it at $2 a mile as their overall cost of doing business is lower. For sure a freight broker is charging you way more than he is paying his carrier. If you need a hot shot find one. Getting your brother to start a brokerage because your shipping cost is high is not the answer IMO ask the broker to lower your cost or find another broker . Better yet like I said before find some hot shot guys that have been in business for a few years. Your communication and service will be better IMO.

8. JNelson

JNelson Bobtail Member

Feb 17, 2023
    380 mile block @ 1500lbs (one ton rate) would be $1,197.00. That would include fuel and insurance. That’s about $3.68 per mile.
    That’s from my rate sheet that’s 10 years old with updated fuel.
    I hate brokers.

Itsbrokeagain, Dino soar and Lite bug Thank this.
  9. Lite bug

Lite bug Road Train Member

May 3, 2014
    Columbus Ohio
    They are tricky

10. flatbedcarrier

flatbedcarrier Medium Load Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Southern California
    If you’re the shipper, you don’t even need a brokers license. Under your company name you can get an account on a load board and post your own loads. Here’s the thing though, a lot of truckers won’t want to work with you at first unless it’s a cod load. That’s because you don’t have a bond like a broker has. In time you can overcome that though. You’ll just need some carriers to let the load board know that they hauled for you, and you paid in a timely manner. The load board at that point will start to show an average days to pay.

if you’re shipping power only loads they’ll need to pay decent. On a short run like you described, your rate will more than likely need to cover the owner operator deadheading back.

Texas is a big state, where at in West Texas? The rate they charged may be right on target if they’re deadheading clear back to the the west Texas border?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2023
    Lite bug Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.