What are Owner-Operators actually paid at Swift?

Discussion in 'Swift' started by coty, Jul 10, 2011.

1. coty

coty Bobtail Member

Nov 12, 2010
    hesperia ca
    i was thinking about becoming a owner op. for swift and was wondering if the pay there is any good.. and would even be worth it? I now that they tell you thing but they are not true so looking for some other opinions on it. thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. d o g

d o g Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Texas
  4. bluebonn

bluebonn Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2010
    Texas
    Double post

Last edited: Jul 10, 2011
  5. Kusanagi

Kusanagi Light Load Member

May 7, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    A combination of factors, the biggest of which being the fact that there's no credit check. I couldn't get someone to loan me a dollar to do laundry, that's how bad mine is :p

Xzay Thanks this.
  6. bluebonn

Aug 21, 2010
    Texas
    Your best bet is to drive company for awhile and then see if it is what you really want to do.

I think they pay

Dry-Van loaded rate is $0.92
    per mile and empty rate is $0.81 per mile. Flatbed loaded
    rate is $0.94 per mile and empty rate is $0.81 per mile.
    Dedicated route and fleet contracts will vary per contract.
    Fuel Rebate-On loaded miles you will receive a fuel
    rebate, based upon the national fuel cost average. Please
    ask recruiter for current rate. The rebate will show on your
    settlement beneath the trip it is being paid for.

Stop Pay -$35 each additional drop. The first and last
    stops are included in the mileage rate (stop 1 and stop 90).
    Detention Pay - After 2 hours, you will be compensated at
    $30.00 per hour, paid in quarter hour increments ($7.50 per
    15 minutes) up to a maximum of 8 hours or $240.00. The
    pay will be automatically applied to every trip, based on
    your accurate entry of Arrival and Departure times from the
    customer.

This will eliminate one of your greatest
    frustrations - not being compensated while waiting to be
    loaded or unloaded. Qualifications for Detention Pay
    include on-time arrival and the clock begins at the
    appointment time (if applicable).

Unload Pay - In general, Owner Operators' load and
    unload pay will be $100; however, we also have specific
    rates for other types of work, such as assist, shrink wrap,
    pallet jack, etc.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2011
  7. AZHammer

AZHammer Light Load Member

May 13, 2011
    Phx, AZ
    I ask myself hte same question every 2yrs when my friends leases his Audi's.. Then again, it doesnt compair to tractors, but to ea. his/her own..

I'm giving it a year as a Co. driver then I'll weigh the facts/dollars/etc aas to leasing a truck. One advantage is knowing you'll always have YOUR truck if something happens and you end up sitting for 3+ days due to an outside issue. Other (which plays no effect on my behalf) is you can take pets, some people love their lil yappers.. I was sittingin the truck in Phx the other day and watched this large burly, hard looking guy jump out of his pretty new KW, I glanced back up to see his 3 lil dogs jump out, I couldnt help but laugh..

My goal is to run 1-2yrs atleast.. get a feel of what Im paying, what coming in and talk to as many L/O & O/O as I can, then make an educated decision on a lease. I mean Ive always wanted a Ferrari, but...

8. bluebonn

Aug 21, 2010
    Texas
    Yea I thought about it but then I just asked myself why do I want the stress and worry? I had my own business for over 17 years and can run the numbers just fine.

Always good to wait for awhile before you do this. What do you got to lose by waiting? I did the numbers and to me it just is not worth the risks involved.

The credit issues may just be a warning telling you to wait! Dunno but under a dollar a mile does not seem to me to be worth it. Nice to have your own truck and you can pick and choose between loads. But you really need to budget your money well.

9. Dieseljunkie

Dieseljunkie Light Load Member

Mar 23, 2011
    Gladstone, OR
    I don't lease from swift but from.celadon. I think its the best lease program available. It's per mile..20 cents of what I make per mile goes towards the truck. If I don't roll I don't owe. Surcharge on loaded and empty plus same pay for loaded and empty along with bobtail miles. At least 3k miles AT LEAST per week. So far never had a check less then 1100 after costs take home per week. If I sit for 7 days at home or whatever....I owe 134 about for insurance only. Not to mention its a walk away lease. Check into it.

10. David101

David101 Bobtail Member

May 12, 2015

Well I work for swift as a company driver the cheat you 50-80 miles on loads. I thought about doing lease With swift, they pay .92-.97 cent on dedicated accounts. Otr .92 empty .92-1.07 loaded you pay about .29 per mile for fuel then they pay rest. Pay $10.00 on quallcomm, 10.00. Then you pay $800.00 weekly for truck payment And .09 per mile for repairs and what not.

11. A21CAV

A21CAV Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2011
    Laredo, TX
    QUOTE="David101, post: 4601595, member: 164682"]Well I work for swift as a company driver the cheat you 50-80 miles on loads. I thought about doing lease With swift, they pay .92-.97 cent on dedicated accounts. Otr .92 empty .92-1.07 loaded you pay about .29 per mile for fuel then they pay rest. Pay $10.00 on quallcomm, 10.00. Then you pay $800.00 weekly for truck payment And .09 per mile for repairs and what not.[/QUOTE]
    You may work for Swift but you obviously know nothing about the lease program . BTW you commented on a thread that's been dead almost 4 years and has mostly outdated information most of which was posted by someone who knew even less than you do .

Lepton1, HousTank and MysticHZ Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.