What are the best Kcups?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by 77fib77, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I buy the 36 count Maxwell House 'medium' blend at Walmart or Smith's grocery store.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Use distilled water only; otherwise the water system in the machine clogs up with minerals. You can clean it with vinegar or better yet buy the cleaner at the store that's made for the Keurig.

4. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    I only use distilled. Why I think my pump may be toast.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  5. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Saw one on sale at Walmart for $19.00
    Bought mine at Walmart for $32.00

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  6. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    The quality of water used is important. It needs some trace minerals in order to bind with the soluble solids. Distilled water, is actually quite corrosive, but also will not get the best coffee brew because it has no trace minerals. Best brew temp is between 195f and 205f.

One aspect of a brewed cup of coffee is the Total Disolved Solids or TDS. On average, the target number is about 150 ppm. This is what a most find is the best balance of flavors.

7. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
  8. Fold_Moiler

Fold_Moiler Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2017
    Am I the only one that doesn’t like keurigs?

They seem simple but then you get one and they get all gross and it’s just more to clean.

I got a French press and a bodum water boiler. Just throw the French press in the dishwasher whenever I run it and it’s clean. I also have a cheap bialletti espresso maker for when I want some race gas lol.

Oldironfan and John A. Thank this.
  9. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    Do you have a water conditioner (softener) on the main house. Makes a difference in filtration. With a conditioner, a single or 2 stage system should be all you need.

If nothing is on the household system, a good quality 2 or 3 stage system will work quite well. Can be plumbed for a single spigot at your kitchen sink, and for the ice maker in the refrigerator

An under counter/sink system will be fine. Places like Lowes / Home Depot sell systems that work well.
    The decent systems will run about $200 for the kit. Filters should be about $45 to $65. Most filters should last 6 to 9 months, around 600 gallons.

77fib77 Thanks this.
  10. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I agree on most of this, but my understanding is reverse osmosis processed water is the worst. Distilled still retains some desirable components. Charcoal filtered spring water is probably optimal, all around, for compromise between coffee taste and equipment longevity. Yes. "Drinking water" (bottled water with added minerals) is probably the best for coffee taste, but is the worst for coffee maker life [when heating elements come in direct contact with the water] so it's a choice to be made.

Main thing is to AVOID tap water from many municipal water sources that have color and foul odor and taste to it, which is very common today.

11. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    I'm distilled water every day. No matter what I make. Or drink plain distilled water.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.