What are the most dangerous roads / mountain passes in the lower 48

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by JR80, Aug 24, 2013.

1. JR80

JR80 Bobtail Member

Apr 23, 2012
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Looking to go over the road in a month. I heard Washington has some of the worst mountain passes. *Anyone know the names of them* or any other dangerous roads/areas especially in winter. Areas with cliffs that you can easily slide off that might not have guard rails? I want to try to look up some video footage of these roads and what I might have to deal with in winter. To prepare myself. Thank you for replies.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. yessir

yessir Medium Load Member

Apr 17, 2013
    queens, ny
    california, washington state and oregon are 3 states you don't want to be i went to washington state once and i will never go there again unless i take a plane

JR80 Thanks this.
  4. JR80

JR80 Bobtail Member

Apr 23, 2012
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Ya I have been to Cali it sucks because of the speed limit and right lane restriction. I was also told to rip Washington and Oregon out of my Atlas. What was so bad about Washington though did you feel like you were about to slide off a cliff I guess In Winter I'm assuming? I'm a straight rookie so forgive my obvious questions.

5. KMac

KMac Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Waxahachie, TX
    I-70 west of Denver as far as the interstates go... really though, winter mountain driving is like anything else. I this an developed technique and not something to be afraid of. I saw more trucks wrecked on I-40 in New Mexico last winter than I did on Cabbage in Oregon.

Just slow down and stay within yourself.

alds, D.Tibbitt, LtlAnonymous and 12 others Thank this.
  6. RAGE 18

RAGE 18 Road Train Member

Jan 31, 2011
    GOLD£N☆STAT£
    Chain up doggy dogg learn how to do it right, right now usually you will find a pass in every state 11 West where you will need to chain I order to proceed. In reality 95 % of the time you will not run longer than 50 miles max on chains. A lot of drivers just shut it down. Winter weather road advisories are ur best friends. Washington ain't too bad driver. Personally I'd be a lot more worried about Colorado.

7. 8thnote

8thnote Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2013
    Chattanooga, TN
    Mountain driving is just a part of life if you're going to be an OTR driver. Their is nothing to scared of, but you should have a healthy respect for steep grades. I would recommend that you choose a company with a throrough traing program that teaches you proper techniques for mountain driving. Stevens Transport has a great program, Pride has a good one, TMC, and Melton are also good. If you understand the physics involves and know the limitations of your rig, you will be fine. When it comes to driving these passes in the winter, just use common sense. Know the road ahead. Nowadays we have such access to info over the web, it's pretty easy to find out whether its safe to proceed or if its time to shut it down.

Ive driven all the major passes in the winter. I've gone over Donner in the snow, Vail in sleet and freezing rain, Cabbage and Snoqualmie with snow on the ground and came through it fine. Drivers do it every day and accidents are relatively rare. The state DOT will close the roads if conditions are too bad. But like I said, use your training and a little common sense.

alds, drvrtech77, luvtotruck and 2 others Thank this.
  8. BuckeyeCowboy63

BuckeyeCowboy63 Medium Load Member

May 28, 2013
    Cincinnati, OH
    Dont forget Donner too. Are those that you all named worst then the mou tains at Jellico in 75 in Tennessee and Kentucky?

JR80 Thanks this.
  9. 8thnote

8thnote Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2013
    Chattanooga, TN
    theyre all steeper than Jellico. Jellico is about a 4% grade. Those that I named are 6% to 7% grades. Monteagle on I-24 in TN is also a 6% grade.

JR80 and DoneYourWay Thank this.
  10. BuckeyeCowboy63

BuckeyeCowboy63 Medium Load Member

May 28, 2013
    Cincinnati, OH
    Ah. Never been west of Kansas City, MO so wasnt sure. Been over Jellico millions of time as that is where my ancestors are from.

JR80 Thanks this.
  11. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    Kansas has a lot of really dangerous roads without guardrails. Why you could slip right off the side of the road, and be lost forever. And the hills... them hills could keep you chuggin' up them all day long!

:laughing-guffaw:

Seriously, some of the narrow back roads in places like Kentucky and Alabama are worse than any of the mountain passes in the west. You might have 6 inches or a foot of space on each side of a 102" wide truck, with on-coming traffic. And... if you go off the edge of the pavement, there is no shoulder, and a drop of 50' into one of the innumerable hollows along the road.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.