What are the worst parts of the job?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by driven.inc, Jan 22, 2018.

1. driven.inc

driven.inc Bobtail Member

Jan 22, 2018
    I'm looking to join the workforce and would like to be prepared.

What should I be expecting?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Puppage

Puppage Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Connecticut
  4. IluvCATS

IluvCATS Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    I think I’ve lost my ability to reply seriously. :)

28, Vic Firth, austinmike and 6 others Thank this.
  5. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    That all depends upon the job. There are thousands of different ways to truck, and each one comes with its own "worst" parts...and every individual is going to be different, too. For example, I absolutely LOVE narrow little hilly curvy twisty turny fun roads and absolutely HATE it when I have to get onto the big road. I look forward to loads where "turn off the paved road" is only the beginning of the adventure. For others, though, it's the other way around...and they'll run 200 extra miles just to avoid a 2-lane road. Some people LOVE travelling the country, not sleeping in the same place twice, preferring to stay out for weeks and months at a time. I dread any day I don't get to go home. Some people like the anonymity of big companies where nobody knows their name...and others prefer to be on a first name basis with everyone in the office.

No matter what you're looking for, it's out there. No matter what you're looking to avoid, it's out there too.

plankton, homeskillet, kaf and 3 others Thank this.
  6. PandaPancake

PandaPancake Light Load Member

Dec 23, 2017
    Unexplained hair loss, getting a tan on the left side. Finding major manufacturing places not near a major road

7. IluvCATS

IluvCATS Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    Driven, inc. Love the name! You should expect to to be 1000s of miles away from everyone you know. Does that appeal to you? It does me.

I have been talking to myself lately. Just keeping it real here. I tell myself that I’m ####ty at parking when I cannot get it the first time. You might talk to yourself too.

Tall Mike Thanks this.
  8. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    • It's not as easy as it looks
    • It's NOT for anybody and everybody.
    • Initially, money after expenses can be miserable. Even as you gain experience, there's lots of other skills and trades that can offer better earnings potential with the same experience level
    • It's a dangerous occupation, one of the deadliest
    • It's not as fun and exciting as some think it is
    • it's not a "Full time paid vacation"
    • There will be days/nights in the beginning you assume the fetal position and wish you had listened to your mom and dad when they said "stay in school, get a good degree, and make something of yourself"
    • OTR will be hard on relationships with significant other and family. 48 OTR is a lifestyle, for better or for worse. Local and regional, maybe not so much.
    I could go on. But it can become a satisfying way of life for many who stick to it out of necessity or choice.

9. Moon_beam

Moon_beam Heavy Load Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Driving at night.
    Never getting home when you want to be home.
    Driving in snow with other idiots that cannot drive in snow with blowing winds.
    Driving 40 mph in a construction zone posted at 65 mph because....because....because some beginner is afraid of barrels and cones in construction zones.
    You don't have a life outside of eating, sleeping, driving, driving, driving, then waiting for a load, waiting, waiting, waiting. ........

Puppage and IluvCATS Thank this.
  10. Streetroddreams

Streetroddreams Medium Load Member

Oct 19, 2017
    North Central Missouri
    Nuthin but sunshine, unicorns and rainbows driven.heck I even used my spare time to learn to juggle

cybill234, Shock Therapy and IluvCATS Thank this.
  11. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    These are in no particular order:

1. The four to five hours of sleep you get if you work local.
    2. The frustration of taking three days to pass someone in a similarly governed truck.
    3. Mandatory 30 minute break.
    4. The issues with the Elog system, and Elogs in general.
    5. The lack of consideration by other drivers nowadays.
    6. People making decisions for the industry that can barely spell “truck”.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.