What are these "funds" you're talking about?

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by Tip, Jun 9, 2007.

1. Tip

Tip Tipster

Mar 18, 2006
    ON STRIKE
    I read in a post in this section (the Southern Transport thread) about some supposed "funds" trucking companies are receiving from the government. Being as no one will answer my reply, I'll just start my own thread and get your attention that way.

Here is part of a quote from the post, a message by Mr. Carter:

"....for the purpose of securing signed documents from drivers to "Pad" thier requests for Federal Funding...."

Turbo then replies with:

"But, since there are companies that are doing everything they can to get their hands on some of those funds..."

Come on guys. What are these "funds" you're talking about? Am I right about companies getting federal welfare for each newbie they hire? I know something fishy MUST be going on in trucking with this turnover issue. Companies are obviously sucking a government sugar-titty no matter what insiders say.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Burky

Burky Road Train Member

Would your informed source be the same Mr Carter that has invented a magnetic based engine that doesn't require any fuel to run? I believe he is also the one that claimed that his previous company kicked him off the lot without his false teeth.

I always like to confirm that you are getting your inside info from a highly reliable source.

I just checked, and it is the same Mr Carter. Highly reliable, yes indeedy!!!!

4. Tip

Tip Tipster

Mar 18, 2006
    ON STRIKE
    Yeah, I thought about that, B, but then I read Turbo's post, and he didn't question it. TT should have body-slammed his argument like you're doing now. But he didn't. In fact, TT's reply is the reason I posted this thread. TT is reinforcing Carter's claim.

Okay.....What is up with this issue?

Are companies getting welfare or are they not? I believe they are. Their behavior tells me they are definitely getting it. I started suspecting they're getting it about a week out of training school.

Prove to me I'm wrong.

Are you still around, TT?

5. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Yeah, I remember him. He even had his own website about that "magnetic engine".

6. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    These "funds" you speak of are real.

But, they are the same funds that almost every US based company can get/qualify for, for hiring people and training them to do a job. Wal-Mart does this every year...using Federal funds. Many local businesses do this EVERYDAY! It's called Co-op in high school.

Our government will subsidize many companies outside of "school". With that said these funds are attached to the "employee" payroll. The companies get labor at a reduced rate, the Government "funds" bring them up to a predetermined level...be it minimum wage or "per mile" pay.

My wife is currently in a "Government Subsidized" training/work program, doing, of all things...putting wheels on **** sliding glass door tracks LOL. She's doing this as part of a "re-education" program. She starts teaching other people how to do her previous job (prior to work/training) in 30 days. So now she will be "part" of the "re-education" program herself, but as a teacher, for her previous job skills.

I fault this program with the high turnover rate among new drivers. Why pay an inexperienced driver .28 a mile out of your pocket, when you can get another "new" one for .14 a mile, and Uncle Sam pays the other .14

7. Tip

Tip Tipster

Mar 18, 2006
    ON STRIKE
    And that's why drivers ultimately get treated like grease rags. If I hire on as a freshie grad with an outfit, before too long the company sees me as a growing liability. It will then prefer I leave so it can pay my replacement much less. It just needs to "convince" me to walk away. Enter the bad treatment BS. And if I up and quit, the company wins in two ways: it gets to replace me with a cheap grad and it doesn't have to pay my unemployment. Nice scam.

Like I said before--the government needs to investigate the trucking industry, not to mention a lot of other industries. In the meantime, people should milk the system for all its worth, especially those getting into something as insecure as trucking. This means they should always, always get government grants to pay for training and never, never pay for it out of their own pockets.

8. lugnut

lugnut Light Load Member

Sep 7, 2006
    Farkin, WI
    The higher ups at CR England told us that CR has a lot of pull in Salt Lake.
    They said Cr gets grants, tax credits, and more when they hire a new driver.

9. Tip

Tip Tipster

Mar 18, 2006
    ON STRIKE
    Which means it's in CRE's interest to fire anyone who's been there longer than about a month and replace him with a newbie school graduate. This won't quite work, as if CRE fires people, they have to pay unemployment claims to those they fire.

"Treat them like dirt and they'll quit all on their own" is the answer. That's no doubt the battle cry over on Pioneer Road just east of the Freightliner dealer.

Quitters' don't get unemployment and can be replaced with a graduate. Brilliant. Now is it any surprise those guys have like 200% turnover? I think I've been saying all along it's in a lot of companies' interest to treat people like garbage. CRE is in that bin.

I'll also say again that these outfits should get down and thank whatever god they believe in that I'm not in Congress. I'd be launching a full-scale assault on this type of abuse. Talk about a fleece job. People in Utah ##### and moan about government interference and "big government" in general, but when it comes feeding time, they come running. They love the government then.

Outfits like CRE probably make half their profits by sucking the government sugar titty. And the driver grunts get caught in the middle of it all.

Death before C.R. England, boy.

10. NightWind

NightWind Road Train Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Sunny South, AL
    There ARE low interest loans that small companies can qualify for that would be applicable to those of us in trucking. You have to look for them. There ARE grants that are available for individuals and companies that are involved in R & D in different areas such as fuel conservation etc. Again you have to look for them and also be able to write a grant proposal and meet certain guidelines to get those grants. You will have to comply with those guidelines and restrictions thoughout the life of the Grant and they send in their OWN auditors to make sure you do.

11. Tip

Tip Tipster

Mar 18, 2006
    ON STRIKE
    Dear Mr. Washington Politico,
    I am interested in getting a grant for each new driver I hire on. Can you help me out? Sure you can, as you know I'll vote for you and so will all my family and friends if you slip me some green. If you scratch my back, I will also participate in a "green drive" to reduce my company's carbon footprint. This will take the form of a large number of my outfit's trucks sitting for weeks on end at my terminal(s), which will keep them off the highways and keep their exhaust belching to a minimum. I know you pay farmers not to farm. You should pay me not to run my rigs. Also, many voters want welfare recipients to work, and truck training is one way to get these idle bums up and contributing. So...What do you say, Mr. Politico? How about a grant.....Say, 3500 per student and 2000 per truck that sits for more than a week?

Sincerely,
    Mr. Pocket Padder
    Director of Government Milking
    PocketPadding Trucking, Incorporated

Is this the type of grant you're talking about?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.