What are typical builds for a farming 5th wheel truck?

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by Epicdudejo, Mar 7, 2020.

1. Epicdudejo

Epicdudejo Bobtail Member

Mar 7, 2019
    I play a lot of Farming Simulator and I'm trying to set up a range of drivetrain specs (engine/trans/axle ratio/etc) that the player can choose when buying a truck. Both single and tandem axles.

In the game's context, the truck would be driving around inside small town streets with occasional 20% grades and boulevards.

what would be on the market for that kind of application?

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Gaming is a very poor simulation of the trucking world.

I put up a 3406 computer Cat 350 in a fuller 10 midroof freightliner against a full 80000 pound load of ethan allen furniture on a 21+% grade 3 mile pull. Found myself in low gear barely rotating wheels less than walking speed over a hour. Took between two to three hours for all gauges to return to highway normal. Fuel was also a problem as well. So it was a day to remember. She did it. Good kitty. But that borders on Abusive.

You are on a farm, that assumes you have 40 acres to turn in. So that disposes of the single axles. You are going to be tandem drive with interlock at a minimum, full lockers at best. You want tires that will flotation on the steers. Any old ready mix truck have them for off road purposes. Cross rib drives for off road as well.

You want the heaviest rears you can find. Old Logging tractors are the best as they hang off mountains all day many times a day on small scrapes of nothing over the big sky.

A farm is not that difficult. Should not be. We used a old '55 dodge with a gasoline big block, manual three on the tree and duals for 15000 pound applications of payload on the deck back there for the farm we had in Maryland and it's probably still doing it there to this day. (Hay rolls. We put like oh...10 of them up there on it.) And there is a older 80's mack 500 superliner with 15 speed DEEP reduction so we can stop the planet earth a moment to get out of a hole. Its NOT fast but it's V8 format engine has been a champ. I'll take her to any farm to have a combine throw grain into the back, even though it's not it's intended purpose. (Bed is too small...) etc.

Epicdudejo Thanks this.
  4. Epicdudejo

Mar 7, 2019
    I kind of expected that a commercial game would never match a dedicated simulator, let alone the real thing.

The game does, however, have a modding community that take the physics seriously. They've done their best to come up with something that require the player to have a properly built vehicle for the intended tasks.

And their solution is also easy to make content for, which is why I'm trying to find out what actually exists so I can put it in and have more choices beyond a 400 hp truck with the shortest gear ratios in the world (aka the default stats).

I'd love to have a grain truck but unfortunately, the user content I found always has annoying errors, like no collision box or improperly programmed hitches. Otherwise, the heaviest cargo available is a heavy (18k lbs empty) trailer with 50k liters of silage. That or a low loader with a 50k lb pine tree processor.

In the base game, the only grain trailers all use ball hitches and suck at loading truck axles, which sadly matters for the physics mod I'm playing with.

5. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    @TomCougar is our go to trucking gaming expert and has everything u should need to get u down the right path ! :D

Coffey and cke Thank this.
  6. OLDSKOOLERnWV

OLDSKOOLERnWV Captain Redbeard

Nov 29, 2011
    West Virginia
    OP, you looking for real life situation setups or fairytales......? Just asking .....

7. Epicdudejo

Mar 7, 2019
    I'm looking for something realistic. If that means a 350 HP truck, then so be it.

I take my simulators seriously ;)

OLDSKOOLERnWV Thanks this.
  8. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    Most around here in Saskatchewan are heavy spec for super B train. A lot of large farmers have them. Smaller farmers may only pull a tri-axle or even a few tandem trailers.
    Heavy spec tractors:
    450-600 hp
    46,000 lbs rears, 3.73 to 4.56 fully locking rears
    18 speed transmission, some 13 or 15 spd.
    11R24.5 Tire’s for better ground clearance in the field.

Mine is 2016 Cascadia DD16 600 hp, 18 Speed Ultrashift, 3.91 rears full lockers, 11R24.5 Michelin XDS2 drives, Doepker Super-B open end hopper bottom trailers. Empty weight 19,400 kgs full of fuel, 63,500 kgs max loaded legal weight. Personal heaviest gross was 67,320 kgs (loaeded on uneven ground in the mud, hard to get the weight right). Some of our guys have gone over 70,000 kgs

Epicdudejo Thanks this.
  9. OLDSKOOLERnWV

OLDSKOOLERnWV Captain Redbeard

Nov 29, 2011
    West Virginia
    A49B6ED1-8283-4AED-898B-CB695C8B6E72.jpeg 2B2BDAA7-1996-4FD7-B0B3-A79521DA8116.jpeg E4FCDBF4-BA6B-4AA2-9CD9-12A73179DDF4.jpeg

I buy a wrench for a specific bolt / nut. Most folks buy a truck for a specific job too, but at times we get outside the norm for a oddball job.

A 350hp engine bolted to a 8LL, 18 spd, or 15spd transmission, with 4:63 or bigger gears in the differential would do the job you have mentioned. Keep in mind, at times gearing is more important than horsepower......

I use to drive as well as operate this Ingersoll Rand T4 Drill for R&L, as well as other drills. This T4 was big, heavy, and clubby. But it only had a Cummins L10 @ 280 horsepower, with a 8LL transmission. Honestly don’t remember what the cogs were though....

The TH55 ( red drill ) had a Detroit Diesel 6V92ta Silver @ 318 horsepower with a 13 spd transmission and 4:11 cogs in the rear.

The Rig tender ( crane truck ) was a 1997 379 Peterbilt with a 550 Caterpillar, 18 spd transmission with 3:36 cogs in the rear....

For local stop & go use or open road use with steep grades, gearing is important!

Not sure if any of this drivel helps you but.....

Epicdudejo and PoleCrusher Thank this.
  10. Epicdudejo

Mar 7, 2019
    @uncleal13
    Would any truck dip into the shorter axle ratios for local use? Potentially all the way down to 7.17 gears?

Also, would any operator use a FR 10-speed instead of the 8LL?

@OLDSKOOLERnWV
    The game doesn't really have any vocational trucks. At best, the game has two default models with PTO connectors to operate things like self-loading wagons.

So far, I see a lot of axle ratios that favor cruising. If I need a truck that can crawl, would using bull gears for prolonged periods of time be dangerous? Would it be safer to use a much shorter axle ratio instead?

OLDSKOOLERnWV Thanks this.
  11. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    Could, but I’ve never seen one under 5’s. Doesn’t mean they don’t exist.

Epicdudejo Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.