What can cause a knocking sound on the left side of a Detroit S60?

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by dlstruck, May 17, 2017.

1. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    I would bet wrist pin but thats what my luck has taught me. Knocks usually require immediate attention.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Ever look at magnetic drain plug in a diff? If its coming apart you will definitely see more than just the normal "fur" on the magnet.

4. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Now for ####s and giggles, have you taken a good listen around the compressor for the knock?

Jazz1 Thanks this.
  5. dlstruck

dlstruck Medium Load Member

Sep 8, 2016
    Yeah, even took the compressor off, seems fine. The knock sounded higher up.

The plug had more than the normal fur, it was about an inch worth of buildup. Unless that's normal for these motors?

6. dlstruck

Sep 8, 2016
    Well it was definitely the bull gear. Not sure how this didn't skip a tooth or screw up timing. The broken ones weren't all broken flush so that's probably what saved it from skipping. All the other gears were fine though. I'm gonna order a recon bull gear from Detroit Deisel Bull Gear : RNC Recon since I've heard good things about them and hopefully get everything put back together next weekend.

I think I'm also going to replace the oil cooler since that's a ton of shavings and I hear that they can get stuck in the cooler and get released later on.

[​IMG]

Dye Guardian and Smellfunny Thank this.
  7. Smellfunny

Smellfunny Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2012
    South Carolina
    Look those other gears over with a fine tooth comb. They may have cracks or missing teeth or even parts of a gear tooth stuck in them. Any doubt replace it.

AModelCat Thanks this.
  8. dlstruck

Sep 8, 2016
    There's only 1 gear that rides on this, the adjustable idler. Looked it over very carefully and can't find anything wrong.

9. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    A flat tire perhaps? Someone knocking on your door?

10. Ristow

Ristow Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2014
    Fema Region 5
    i'd throw a new damper on too.

11. dlstruck

Sep 8, 2016
    Yup, already have a new Vibratech in the mail. I'm just debating whether I want to add a balancer as well. Some people love theirs, others said it did absolutely nothing.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.