What condition of truck to buy

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Trucker indiana, Oct 13, 2019.

1. Trucker indiana

Trucker indiana Light Load Member

Aug 5, 2019
    Hello all,
    I have had to go back to the drawing board on my decision of going owner op. Regardless, I have hit a snag and cant pull the trigger on what type or more like what condition to buy a truck in.

I have 40k for a truck. I do not want a loan at this time, however I could get a small loan to buy more in the 50 to 60 braket.

1. I can just buy the newest lowest mile truck I can find at that price. The problem is most of them seem to have a ton of issues too

2. I can buy a 10k to 15k "junker" that runs and is road legal but will undoubtedly go belly up sooner then later and when. It does just get another. Until I have enough funding to justify a new truck. My first pick may never die or I may go through 3 in a year.
    3. Attached to this is get a truck that is in need of repairs and do them as I go. I may have 30k In it when I'm done but hopefully it will be a good truck when im done. Or may blow up in way 4 months in

4. By a truck that is already been overhauled and gone through and is ready to go its basically new on the Inside. These are older late 90s trucks typically rolling bricks

5. Last option buy a clean truck that is never been over hauled but is well maintained and clean then pay out to have it overhauled and be ready to roll with little worry.

There are obviously other options mixed in there but these are my basic 5

I am leaning towards 3 or 5 or possibly a combination of the two. If I do that I can find the style I like and make the mechanics match.

I also have time I dont plain on starting driving till jan. I left a lot of details out because I felt they dont mater if a detail is important please ask.

I appreciate any help and thank you

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    A lot is going to depend on what you end game with it is going to be.
    If in the future you need to lease to a carrier, many require a certain age, for instance.
    I tried the fix it up as I go with a cheaper truck, on my first go round, it didn't pan out well.
    The way trucks are these days with all the junk on them, it is hard to say what the best way to go is.
    A few years ago I would say, find the truck speced like you need it and buy one in the very best shape you could afford, but I am not even sure how I would go now, and since I wrecked mine, I may be having to make the same decision you are trying to.

fordconvert, magoo68 and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  4. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Considering that old trucks cost just as much as newer used trucks. If not more.

I don't see that it makes sense buying old anymore. Specially with EPA slowly killing them off.

And with companies wanting 12 or newer.

5. FoolsErrand

FoolsErrand Road Train Member

Sep 15, 2017
    Are you gonna go to california?

Are you gonna lease on to a big name dbag corporate conglomerate that dictates everything in your life? [which totally negates owning your own truck anyhow]

Do you have a shop big enough to overhaul a tractor?

In my opinion fix a junker as you go is a mistake. If yourd doing the cheap truck, go through it top to bottom before you ever put insurance on. You can chip away for 3 years rebuilding an old classic then take that entire folder of receipts and begin depreciating the entire pile as the cost to put the rig into service. Youll have a "new" truck that you know inside and out.

Truck prices are gonna be coming down soon i think so you may want to just keep window shopping. The truck id feel safest making payments on is the one ive been company driving for the last 50k miles or so. Theres nothing about each other we dont know.

6. FoolsErrand

Sep 15, 2017
    And btw. I say old classic because the market CELEBRATES the 2million mile shiny long hood but wont look twice at the 2million mile ELD volvo. Dont invest in a dead end.

7. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    If it were me, I would go as new as possible. You may even get one still under warranty.

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  8. Intothesunset

Intothesunset Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2019
    truck
    I'd trust a $5,000 or $10,000 old beat up turd of a first gen Volvo or Freightliner with a ton of miles on them over a $50,000 truck at a dealer.

9. Tx Countryboy

Tx Countryboy Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2019
    Keep your eyes & ears open there are some good ones out there. Was a 1999 the other day rebuilt engine , tranny & 1 diff. Owner retiring . it was in your price range. . good luck with whatever you decide.

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  10. FoolsErrand

Sep 15, 2017
    Originally volvo was a white/gmc/autocar. They had some of the toughest vocationals around. Id buy a WIA64 in a heartbeat. Coulda had a 3406, N14 or a dd60 for throwaway truck price.

FlaSwampRat and Intothesunset Thank this.
  11. Tx Countryboy

Tx Countryboy Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2019
    I wasn't talking about a Volvo .

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.