What did you have to do for your road test? Is the process still the same?

Discussion in 'Superior Carriers' started by Orlandodriver, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Orlandodriver

Orlandodriver Light Load Member

Apr 2, 2019
    What did you have to do for your road test? Is the process still the same?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    The examiner asked me, if I had a road test in the last 2 years, I said, I took my motorcycle test in the last year, he said, good enough, that will be $8 bucks. That was in 1979. For the next 35 years, I never did take a road test in a truck.

HoneyBadger67 Thanks this.
  4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I did a road test for Maryland at Glen Bernie DMV and that was a hellhole of a place. Why we drove ALL the way down there from Haven st-northpoint is beyond me. This would be back in 87-88 era.

It is also a singular day, 4 felons in that class with me took me around nosebleed corner and said listen, you know this *&^% you have your Class A and show it to us otherwise violence will have to be applied so you learn better for being so stupid today, savvy?

Not so many words. But the intent was clear. I got the Class A. It was interesting, I was not scared of the stupid tests, examiner or any of that I was evaluating what i will need to do versus 4 at nosebleed corner.

The rest of it was grandfathered. However Arkansas can stick a permit A in my pocket wait two weeks, grab a semi with manual and a full grown up trucker drive to little rock and take the tests and done. Not like the process they apply to people who have never held a CDL in their lifetime.

5. quatto

quatto Medium Load Member

Mar 9, 2013
    The Bluest State
    For most states...

1. Pre Trip
    2. Backing - straight, offset, 90 degree (alley)
    3. Road test

The most difficult part is the pre-trip.

6. Taterdavid

Taterdavid Bobtail Member

Mar 3, 2017
    PIttsburgh, PA
    If your talking a employment road test with superior they just put you in a truck and you drive a certain route around the area. They just want to make sure you can actually drive. It's nothing to worry about.

Orlandodriver and x1Heavy Thank this.
  7. scythe08

scythe08 Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2007
    Portland, Or
    99% of the its 4 right turns for a few miles. I always giggled at this until one day while on said driving test, my co driver was point out all the spots that he failed people on, and that list was extensive. We had a really good talk about it later on and it opened my eyes to just how many people are thrown through 'training' and really are in no way ready to drive

8. Antinomian

Antinomian Road Train Member

Feb 17, 2013
    I did mine in Jackson Georgia. The driving portion of the test was about 35 to 40 minutes of driving. I had to do a bit of freeway driving, a bit of city driving, and by law I had to cross at least one active railroad track. All the tracks near the testing facility had gone out of use, so the drive was kinda long. There was also one gotcha turn that the CDL school warned us about. It was a very tight right turn and they would fail you if you hit the curb.

9. Orlandodriver

Orlandodriver Light Load Member

Apr 2, 2019
    Which route?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.