What do drivers do about jury summons?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by TomCougar, Feb 22, 2020.

1. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    In an ideal world it would, but I think it’s just too convenient an excuse for the the court to just let anyone use it whenever they want. That sounds like “gee I didn’t know “xxxxx” was against the law”, when we all know ignorance is no excuse.

faux_maestro Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I don't think it works like that. It's been years, but back in my hometown years ago you had so long to acknowledge receipt of the summons. If there was no contact the Sheriff's dept would make a call on you and make it official. Go look at post #26 again. I will see how they do this here in Hampton Virginia. I think you do have to respond by a date, a date well before the actual court day.

4. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

I've been registered to vote and actually vote since The Reagan Administration. I've never ever received 1 jury notice.

If you get a jury notice and miss it due to OTR, and can prove it (thank you ELDs) the judge is not going to throw you in jail or fine you. Anyone saying it will happen is spreading a lie from someone's story that is leaving out the 18 notices over 9 years and the fact the "jailee" was shooting at the judge in his case.

5. tscottme

My current and last company pay me wages for each day I would be on jury duty.

Jury Nullification is a free pass, AFTER you show up in court, to be excused from the jury pool.

6. VA CDL Holder

VA CDL Holder Medium Load Member

Jun 14, 2011
    I've come to realize that it doens't matter who is in office, it doesn't matter. Things have been deteriorating in so many ways in my 50 years here, from my perspective, yours may differ and I'm sure it will. If you think voting matters you are really a gullible sap who finds comfort in the vestiges of an America that no longer exists. The people behind the scenes control it all and your elected fools are all compromised or bought off.

So go ahead and vote your way out of the problems that are going to consume the nation at some point. It doesn't matter and never did.

7. nikmirbre

nikmirbre Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC
    I do the same thing Larry David did.......

8. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I agree, no judge in their right mind is going to lock up a trucker just for doing their job. There is a lot of hyperbole on this subject going both ways. You miss a court date because you were working don't sweat it. I would imagine the largest majority of the time the judge will use their discretion and excuse you. Like I said though if there are not enough people in the jury pool some judges get peeved off. If you are 1000 miles away and don't get home till 2 or 3 weeks later I would not give it another minute of thought. Judges can be "funny" though. I suggest never "trying" their patience!

9. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    I got called about a year ago. Around here potential jurors are picked every quarter and if you are in that quarters group you remain subject to be called for the whole quarter. I went. Child molester case. Asked everyone if they could be fair and impartial. Sure I said. I was going to hang his ###. County prosecutor dismissed me anyway. That was it for my jury duty. We don't get a lot of jury trials around here, I guess. My wife was picked for one quarter last year but never called.

tscottme Thanks this.
  10. tscottme

A regular US Post Office P.O. Box also can show you a pic of your arriving mail daily. That service is called Informed Delivery and is free. I think it also is available to home mailboxes.

11. tscottme

I believe every potential juror is asked "is there any reason..." or "do you have any beliefs that will prevent you from rendering a fair verdict based on the law and the evidence?" Answer that question with "Jury Nullification". You will be dismissed.

Jury Nullification is acquitting defendants if you think the law is wrong, despite any evidence. Let's say you think marijuana use should be legal for adults. Let's say the defendant was on video loading 100 bricks of pot into a van and he was talking to a undercover cop bragging about buy/selling/moving all of that pot. There is no dispute the defendant is the one on video and the bricks are pot. The jury/jurors have the right to vote "not guilty" just because they think it's outrageous to outlaw pot.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.