What Do Truckers Listen To

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by jack27, Jul 15, 2008.

1. CMoore2004

CMoore2004 Road Train Member

Nov 2, 2007
    OTR
    I have my Sirius on 24/7 (unless the batteries get low and it cuts off my power). I listen to Howard 100, Howard 101, Classic Rewind, Classic Vinyl, Octane, Prime Country, New Country, and occasionally a few others. I also burn CD's, but even with the thousands of songs I have, it gets repetitive after driving so long.

I've listened to audio books in my 4-wheeler and found they were incredibly distracting. I sure don't want my mind on the plot of the story when I'm going down the road. I imagine it'd be tough to tell a son/daughter/mother/father of the one you killed you didn't see the brake lights in time because you were wondering what happened next in the story.

The best free listening material is rolling down the window and listening to the wind on a nice day.

The best entertainment is taking a look in the 4-wheelers--not just to see the chics in bikinis, either. It's very entertaining to see some of the things these 4-wheelers are doing while driving down the road. Then of course there's always those trying to get you to pull the airhorn, which puts a smile on my face for a while.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. woofless

woofless Light Load Member

May 24, 2008
    Armour, SD
    XM Radio- can hardly function without it :). I listen to talk radio....don't like to miss Rollye James or Glenn Beck and enjoy George Noory sometimes. I listen to Dr. Laura because she drives me nuts 60% of the time, lol.

I scan between the 80's and 90's, Bluegrass, Folk music, a couple of the alternative stations, and Fungus 53, the Punk music station. I'm probably one of the few truckers out there who has Crass, Dropkick Murphys, Rancid and NOFX as some of my top favorite bands ;).

I also swear by my MP3 player and my Napster To Go subscription....unlimited downloads for one monthly fee. I've got everything from Eminem to Leonard Cohen to Peter Paul & Mary on it.

4. Dr. Venture

Dr. Venture Medium Load Member

Jun 29, 2008
    Ithaca, NY
    Sirius mostly. Usually The Loading Dock and The Lockridge Report on RoadDog 147. Faction and Octane, sometime Coffee House if I need to calm down. In the afternoons, it's Bubba the Love Sponge on Howard 101. I download Coast to Coast AM podcast and listen to those occaionally too.

5. terrylamar

terrylamar Road Train Member

Oct 8, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Sirus: 70's, 80's, Classic Vinyl, 1st Wave, Classic Country, New Country, Patriot Radio, Fox News, Scan other channels.

Audio Books: Science Fiction, Westerns, Classics, Military, Thrillers, Mystery, others.

Language Tapes.

The Bible.

Rush Limbaugh.

CB.

I have a very active mind and prefer not to drive without some stimulation. Driving can be very productive. You can get a real education, literally, by being selective in what you listen to. Along with your laptop you can get your GED all the way to a MBA, which I will be starting shortly. Yeah, call us "dumb truck drivers!"

lupe Thanks this.
  6. CURTWAYNE

CURTWAYNE Medium Load Member

Jun 4, 2008
    LITTLE ROCK, AR
    I like the click & clack brothers on npr. About the only thing i listen to on the fm radio.
    However, since I got my xm skifi3, I usually listen to the Old Time Radio channel. Shows like Jack Benny, the Lone Ranger, Dragnet, etc.
    I also like the Midnight Trucking Network on the Open Road channel. And Bill Mack.
    Sonic theater has Sherlock Holmes, and Harry Nile.
    I do have some of my favorite music groups programmed in the 'tune select' feature of the radio. When one of those groups is on, the radio alerts me, and I can choose to listen.
    The radio also a slot for a memory card. And I have it loaded with all the songs I like to sing along to. Bluegrass, Country, and Rock n' Roll.

7. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Ilisten to podcasts on my mp3 player. I listen to the following

Rush Limbaugh
    Dennis Prager
    Hugh Hewitt
    Michael Medved
    NPR Talk of the Nation
    NPR Fresh Air
    NPR Radio Times
    Clark Howard
    Extension 720 (WGN 720 AM)
    NPR Car Talk
    NPR Wait Wait
    NPR This American Life
    BBC In Our Time
    Slate Explainer
    Bob Brinker Moneytalk

8. ssbowles

ssbowles Heavy Load Member

Sep 27, 2007
    High Desert,CA
    Depends on what kind of mood I'm in. Sometimes talk radio, sometimes country, sometimes classic rock. Just whatever tickles my fancy.
    One thing I can't handle on FM radio, and I know I'll get flamed for this, is all the stupid morning shows. I can handle them to a certain point, but when you get 59 minutes every hour of a couple DJ's who think they're the next best thing....no thanks. It's time to pop in a CD or 2.

9. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    You mean there is still FM?????

It is the reason I went with XM in the first place. That and the stupid talking during the song lead in or out.

Cybergal Thanks this.
  10. Cerberus

Cerberus Medium Load Member

Jun 6, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    i listen to the xm radio. i run on a schedule of what i listen too also during the week. i start out listening to sports radio channel 141 or 142 then swap over to rock til eleven and listen to lex and terry on 152 at eleven til three then listen to more music then listen to channel 171 the trucking channel. every once in awhile i listen to the news to keep updated on whats going on.

11. driver4015

driver4015 Medium Load Member

Jan 28, 2008
    Bend ,Oregon
    Classic rock and country, most anything except crap Prodon me rap

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.