What do you check before deciding to buy a used truck?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by skinner_trucking, Dec 18, 2009.

1. skinner_trucking

skinner_trucking Bobtail Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Fadette, Alabama
    Ok, here is what I check........

Brakes
    Tires
    Lights
    Engine
    Trans
    Frame
    Fuel efficency
    Driver seat comfy?
    Test drive
    Rust

I maybe wrong but I would also like to know if it was run in NE alot. Seems like running up there it would be harder on a truck bc of weather, traffic and such.

Reason for this, is bc hubby is gone durning the week and I'm out searching for a truck to buy.

FYI: That truck has to be a 379 Pete, black, long nose and to top it off ON A BUDGET!!!!! Do you know how hard it is to find a 2000 or newer, cat 9 or 10, midsize roof with double bunk under $30,000.00? IT AINT EASY!!!!!:biggrin_25513:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. A512

A512 Light Load Member

Dec 16, 2009
    nunya
    yes, hills mainly, thats all it is up there is hill,hill/ up down, up down/hump,hump hate that place. If its a good buy/gettin a good deal..you can always buy a new seat i guess.. Although a seat is very important as, if u cant sit in it u cant make money. u sit in that seat longer then u lay in ur bed..tell him to start it up and hold it at 2200 for 5 min and see if it doesnt come apart..lol I dunno, im not a mechanic or o/op just a driver. if any seasoned o/ops see this thread im sure theyll be able to help u , gl :D
    you could stop by ur local heavy truck dealership, im sure the guy at the front counter could answer some of ur questions? Altho he might try and sell you an over priced trk too..lol

4. bigo1969

bigo1969 Light Load Member

Sep 29, 2007
    florida
    Do you plan on paying cash, if so I would try an auction. I recently became an o/o, truck I bought was a 04 with low miles ( 435,000) but right at 500,000 thats when you start having all those little probelms. Hope you find what your looking for.

5. skinner_trucking

skinner_trucking Bobtail Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Fadette, Alabama

Just wanted to clear something up.

Tell him? lol No, its me (female half). I have grew up around trucks and know my way around them pretty well. If I find a truck that meets our standards, then he will go for the second look. He is only home on weekends, so with that said, around here we will only have between 8 and 12 on Saturday to get everything done that he has the final say on.

Just wanted to check and see if I will be over looking something. Seems like I am. LOL. Been so much going on here lately

6. mitchtazz

mitchtazz Road Train Member

Sep 6, 2009
    Lake Wales, Fl
    block the wheels and release the brakes, make sure a booster isn't leaking, dump the air from suspension and make sure it goes all the way down and doesn't bind. doesn't matter to most but those are the few lil things i've learned in my past.

7. stepnfetchit

stepnfetchit Medium Load Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Monett MO
    1. Look at the overall appearance i.e. paint,glass,frame. 2. I look for a truck with low miles if I can't find one I look for a engine and drive train warranty. 3. 75% or better tires. 4. Look at the interior. Doesn't have to be perfect but at least cleaned and detailed(most dealers will do this). 5. Has to have a sliding 5th wheel.6.Battery connections. In 2002 I purchased a 1996 379 ExHd Peterbilt, 550 Cat w/200000 mile Cat warranty, 15 speed and 3:55 rears. Gave 35000 for it. Yeah I had some minor issues with it but really nothing I couldn't fix. Fortunately I live in an area with lots of truck dealers so I can and did shop around. Oh yeah I drove the truck 3 times before I bought it.

8. Cowpie1

Cowpie1 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    Do a total printout of the ECM, not just a summary. There is a lot of information hiding in there. The report can be up to 40 pages long. If dealer won't do it for you, then move on. If you are buying from an individual, then ask them if you can take it to engine shop and have this done. If they have nothing to hide, they won't mind. While you are at an engine shop, have the engine dyno tested. Between these two things, you will have more than enough information to make a sound decision. Again, if a dealer or individual has a problem with this, then move on.

Also, take oil samples of the engine, tranny, rears and have it tested. Can tell you a lot about what is going on inside. Hardly any individual or dealer has changed out all the fluids before the deal is negotiated, so the odds of just testing new fluid is rare.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2009
  9. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    So, if you found the perfect truck, but, it was green instead of black, you would pass on it? Think you should be flexable somewhat. I always look for the history on the truck, such as paperwork. Service records etc. If you could talk to the previous owner, that would be perfect, right? Sometimes, the previous owners name is still visible on the paint. Or, look in the cubby holes/glove box for anything that gives you a clue. But, in the end, a used vehicle is a krapp-shoot, right?

10. samstone

samstone Bobtail Member

Dec 14, 2009
    Bluegrass
    Try ebay! Seriously, I have seen some really good deals on there lately.

11. southernpride

southernpride Gone But Never Forgotten

Apr 5, 2009
    orlando,fl
    now youve go a lot of good advice ,BUT what most drivers seem to forget is blow buy, before i put money in any truck i start the engine and let it run till its good an hot , then look for blow by. if it has a lot of blow buy id walk on buy and find another one just starting out you dont need that kind of expense.---southernpride :biggrin_25514:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.