What do you do on time off to keep from going insane?

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by semicrazykattie, Feb 2, 2020.

1. semicrazykattie

semicrazykattie Bobtail Member

Jan 6, 2014
    Phoenix, Az
    What do you do when you're on your days off, if you get time off, to keep yourself from becoming an axe murderer?
    It may sound kinda strange but I started doing dioramas.
    These are scenes in 1/24 scale cars and figures. IMG_20200129_210405.jpg IMG_20200129_210413.jpg IMG_20200129_210437.jpg

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
  4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Model work of different types. A spot of sailing instruction in a harbor. Horse back training with one particular horse and instructor. History which invovles day trips to anywhere from say Gettysburg down to Virgina etc. Dance halls maybe a good fight at the bar takes care of the stress in some of those places. (I don't go looking for it but will defend when necessary and only so far) other activites of interest including flying. I don't pilot very well at all, hammy hands, but I love navigation problems in the DC area. Even the crab house restaurant in St Michels where nothing happens very fast at all helps. Slow time passing even slower. Associated with food.

Keep in mind that depends on where we take time off in the USA. Different activities present themselves. One time I spent a day or two in Polk City learning as much as possible about the then air museum down there off I-4, they have changed their mission goals since then to more of flying preserved aircraft.

In short, whatever takes your mind far away from that 18 wheeler, dispatchers, company payroll or anything associated with trucks. They can burn that truck for all I care while I am off a while. Dispatch does not get to call early to roll. They will just have to wait. We will be back in it soon enough.

Most of the time trucking consists of drive sleep drive sleep interrupted by problems and fix it etc. When one gets too tired, they have to take time off for their own good. I could be gone a year but I will take time during that year regularly wherever that truck is. One time I put her down at a city block parked next to a gambling boat. Went through a couple hundred at the table that evening and dinner. Won a little more than what I brought in. So it worked out. (Not always)

I was fortunate to keep a small number of friends and sometimes they would take off somewhere and it wont matter what happens to the truck. Its part of time off.

Going insane is not allowed. If you were to have problems of that nature then if you know it, get off that road. That truck can kill just as easy as it feeds many people. One of the things taught in school long ago is you do not touch that truck until your mind is right. Meaning empty of anything except the pending load, truck, papers, pretrip etc etc etc etc.

The very first thing on time off always is going into a designated side room of the house and close the door. Wife and anyone else will just have to wait a while with the honey do lists and so on until you have filled up on sleep. That will take a while depending on your accumulated sleep debt. No phones, no people no nothing. That time will come after you finish resting.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  5. cuzzin it

cuzzin it Road Train Member

Jan 19, 2008
    Berea, KY
    I ride a bicycle. Take front wheel and seat off and it drapes across front seat, held by seatbelt

6. VantaiTatted

VantaiTatted Light Load Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Maryland
    Video games, spending time with my girlfriend, volunteering. Since I run nights, SLEEP!

7. tarmadilo

tarmadilo Road Train Member

Dec 12, 2018
    At home? I do the grocery shopping and change the cat litter boxes, and whatever else my wife doesn’t like doing. :cool:

D.Tibbitt, Vic Firth and x1Heavy Thank this.
  8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Speaking of which, we invested in a automatic cat litter box.

Every time kitty goes in and leaves a package, a rake is machine driven that package to a collection box.

After a month you pull collection box and litter beads box toss it and drop in a new bead and collection box for another month.

It takes a little time for kitty to understand it's not going to bite. It might sit there and stare at it after a deposit.

9. tarmadilo

tarmadilo Road Train Member

Dec 12, 2018
    We have a bunch of cats, and there’s at least one who’d play with it enough to empty all the litter!

D.Tibbitt and x1Heavy Thank this.
  10. MM71

MM71 Heavy Load Member

Jun 28, 2008
    AZ
    Who gets time off? Must be a company driver thing. Rolling, wrenching, paperwork, babysitting adults ... rinse repeat 24/7 yee yee

11. Chubby Fly

Chubby Fly Medium Load Member

Nov 25, 2019
    work on truck or around property. Then by 6 or 7, i hit the bottle till about 9

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.