What do you get for per diems?

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by Spinory, Jan 28, 2022.

1. Spinory

Spinory Bobtail Member

Jan 28, 2022
    Hello all-
    I don't know all the trucker terminology, but I'm trying to get some information about per diems. If you work for a company, leave your station and return to the same station later in the day, do you receive any per diems for meal reimbursement? Does it depend on how many hours you worked? I know the rules are different if you are an owner-operator.
    I work for a state agency and we have drivers who go from Albany NY to NYC daily and for the most part work over 12 hours in a day. They do get per diem amounts but I'm curious to see what other drivers get. Any information is appreciated and thank you for what you do!
    Heather

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Val_Caldera

Val_Caldera Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2021
    TARHEEL
    LoneRanger Thanks this.
  4. Spinory

Spinory Bobtail Member

Jan 28, 2022
    Val_Caldera Thanks this.
  5. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    Depends on pay type. Hourly vs cpm. I've not worked for hourly. But for cpm it's a part of the pay. Example: 40cpm with 10 of that being the per diem.

Spinory Thanks this.
  6. prostartom

prostartom Light Load Member

Jun 20, 2014
    I work for a small private fleet and we are supposed to get $35 for every night you are out. But when I put in a request I always ask for $35 for each day.

So if I am out for 1 night I get $70, 1 day out, 1 day back. If I am out 2 nights I get $105, I am never out more than 2 nights in a row. We also occasionally do real long days so I will put in a request for $35 if it was an abnormally long day. Never been denied.

I added up all my per diem checks from last year and it was over $2000. They used to just let us charge our meals to the company credit card, but of course idiots had to abuse it so that got cut out. Oh well I make out better this way anyway.

Hourly pay by the way.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2022
    Reason for edit: More info
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.