What do you think of folks that have bariatric surgery for weight loss?

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by Mtn. Dew, Jun 25, 2014.

1. Mtn. Dew

Mtn. Dew Light Load Member

Nov 28, 2013
    GA
    I have a friend who about 100 pds overweight, he has tried every diet under the sun, and always gains it back. He is going to have most of his stomach cut out soon, they call it a sleeve gastrectomy. His stomach will be the size of a small banana, and he will no longer be physically able to eat large portions.

I'm asking you guys what you think because I am scared something will happen to him during surgery, or after surgery, and he will die. I've heard horror stories about people having these kind of surgeries and all kinds of stuff goes wrong and they die.

I don't want to lose my friend. But I want him to get healthy and be happy with himself.

Just worrying I guess.......

YvonneS Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cranky Yankee

Cranky Yankee Cranky old ######

Jan 31, 2012
    Green Bay Wi
    there are many kinds of bariatric procedures these days
    I had lap band surgery
    basically an adjustable collar only allows a small amount of food at a time
    stomach stapling and full bariatric surgery removing portions of stomach and colon much more invasive
    my procedure was just overnite in hospital and back to work without restriction a week later
    at the time i ran commercial fishing boat that was labor intensive

4. Mtn. Dew

Mtn. Dew Light Load Member

Nov 28, 2013
    GA
    Did you have any serious complications?

Did it work good for you?

5. Cranky Yankee

Jan 31, 2012
    Green Bay Wi
    the lap band is completely reversible
    lost 120 lbs no complications

they give seminars regularly in most areas that will answer all your questions

and it was a 6 month process beforehand to check your overall health condition
    like colostomy and stress test
    even a pysch eval 8 weeks of group therapy so your prepared for eating and lifestyle changes

6. double yellow

double yellow Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    I personally know 3 people that have had gastric bypass (not stapling or lap bands, but actual bypass)

1) Female 55 was somewhat muscular 175lbs which was definitely overweight, but not what anyone thought of as obese. She is now ~115lbs which seems a bit under weight for her 5'8" frame, but she is happy with it.

2) Male 52 was 300 lbs is now about 275 5 years later. Lost his hair and seems fraile -- has had chronic malnutrition issues despite getting plenty ++ to eat.

3) Male 46 was 400 lbs and a sober addict of 10 years. Died 3 weeks post op from a heart attack (was also fighting a mrsa infection from surgery/recovery).

7. Cranky Yankee

Jan 31, 2012
    Green Bay Wi
    you have to post the kind of surgery they had or it is frivolous information
    saying bariatric surgery is like saying cancer many different kinds

8. jungledrums

jungledrums Heavy Load Member

Oct 28, 2013
    Tennessee
    he said the sleeve gastrectomy, where they cut part of the stomach out. No cutting on the intestines.

9. Wolfyinc

Wolfyinc Road Train Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Salem, or
    The surgery is not a complete solution either, I have known people who had the different bypasses done and they eventually gained it all back. You have to change the lifestyle along with it which is a difficult thing for some.
    You can accomplish the same thing by going on a normal diet, its just harder and takes longer. Last year I lost 46 lbs just cutting out soda, walking more and not parking as close as I could to the truck stop. I ended up getting a little lazy though and have not lost any weight since.

Big Duker and bergy Thank this.
  10. OldHasBeen

OldHasBeen Road Train Member

Dec 16, 2010
    First, I'm very thankful that I never had a weight problem, so I have no experience in that department. But I've know several who've had surgery to help with their weight. Wow, several of them after a while look like their on the road to death. And I know of one who did die after surgery & another one who got a very bad infection. Some people seem to think there's nothing to surgery, yet many people die every year from surgery problems. I've had several surgeries & refused surgery the last time by my neurosurgeon, he said to fix my problems it would probably take 3 more neck surgeries yet I may not be any better, & could be worse off than ever. I will refuse any surgery unless its a must do situation.

And most of them after a while gained it all back just as you stated.

I feel that your advise would be the best thing for most overweight people, & I feel it would be much healthy for them in the long run. I say most for I suppose those who are extremely overweight so much they can't walk or exercise, surgery may be their only option.

11. Wolfyinc

Wolfyinc Road Train Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Salem, or
    one issue with the surgery's is that most of the people do not get enough nutrition and vitamins in their system which is why they tend to look like death and unhealthy. It does work for some so I wont say it cant but its not a choice I would want for myself at least.

I have dealt with weight issues most of my life, when I went off to school in 2005 I lost 43 lbs in a few months and went to the gym plus walked the streets of San Francisco for work and school and got fit working at it. After I got married...well......I kinda went to crap lol, I can lose the weight but it takes willpower and dedication which a lot of people lack and they think a simple surgery will handle that.

Big Duker Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.