What do you think?

Discussion in 'CR England' started by silverdot, Jun 18, 2009.

1. silverdot

silverdot Bobtail Member

Jun 17, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Well I just bit the bullet and signed up with CRE. I know most people reading this post just started banging their head on the desk saying "NOOOO". I have to say I have mixed feelings. A lot of reviews and archives on this site say that this company sucks. Most of the time I find it's from personal experiences. I've gathered a good list of questions to ask the recruiter and I've learned this much. I have read a few sparse good reviews from people on this forum that give me hope. It's not ALL bad.

Most people signing up don't know they've have to work in a team or do the lease option. I am now aware of that and will ask why she didn't mention that when I talked to her on the phone. What's wrong with working as a team? What if they can't find someone to be my partner?

The lease program sucks and you pay them to work. I got that much.

Your not going to make a lot of money for awhile and I'm fine with that. My wife is a nurse and I don't have to make that much which is a big stress reliever for me.

I heard that some people get their CDL then give them the finger and don't pay the cost of the school. That probably puts a mark on your DAC and your credit.

Now besides that stuff, what would you recommend as far as driving and learning the material? I know NOTHING about trucking. I found this link to study the CDL handbook for tx from the dmv website.

I learned as much as I could from this forum as far as driving, being able to see the white line at a stop, driving 5 miles under speed limit, don't look at rpm when shifting, don't change gears when turning, always checking the mirrors, any other pet peeves instructors look for that I should know about?

I'm going to the training facility in Dallas, TX. I hear the instructors are a little above average here and the facility is pretty good. Any inside information on this place?

I know CRE is a crappy company, i'm past that, if anything it's just a way for me to get my CDL as i have no money for any other school. I leave on Sunday 21 and now I just need to make the best of this situation. What advice can you give me to be successful here?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2009
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BoostedTeg

BoostedTeg Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Boise ID
    Well all anybody can say is good luck. You read all the horror stories but whatever you do DO NOT LEASE FROM CRE.

4. silverdot

silverdot Bobtail Member

Jun 17, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Me knowing nothing about trucking I think anybody can say alot more then good luck and it be beneficial for me. Like i said, i already know not to lease, any other tips?

5. rebel1998

rebel1998 Bobtail Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Elkton, KY
    You are going with England. I would have suggested some other company besdies them.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2009
  6. silverdot

silverdot Bobtail Member

Jun 17, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Why do you say that? I understand that other people have had bad experiences, but did you really just come on to this forum and read this thread just to call me an idiot?

thanks for the help, you would have suggested another choice but you didn't, you call me and idiot and left it at that.

now if anyone has something to say that's going to help me with my time at CRE i welcome it.

7. Biscuit75

Biscuit75 Road Train Member

I will add that since I have been back out here I have run into numerous (too many to count) CRE drivers who are not happy with them. They were on my list of companies to offer me a job and after reading this thread, being an experienced driver of 12 years, and talking to other CRE drivers, I decided against CRE. I ended up with FFE and even though it's far from perfect (and no company is perfect) I am happy here.

Some thoughts expressed to me by CRE drivers:
    Every lease driver was broke. Most do not bring in possitive checks. $800 +/week truck payments.
    Company solos not getting any more than 1500 miles a week. Not getting home. One driver had been home for one day in the 6 months he had been with them. Crazy.

Also,
    Well, if you are not with someone you know very well how do you know what kind of person or driver they are? Would you want to pick up a stranger and live with them in a closet for months at a time knowing nothing about them and their habbits? Not me.

8. silverdot

silverdot Bobtail Member

Jun 17, 2009
    Austin, TX
    I appreciate the first intelligent reply. But most of these things, other than leasing sound like person preference.

I get it, I shouldn't lease, mathematically that's stupid. I understand.

company solos not getting anymore then 1500 a week, well they don't do company solos anymore just teams. So i don't have to worry about that. Just do my year and go to a different company.

Not getting home isn't a problem for me. I'm actually doing this to get away from home. That's a preference for everyone.

I guess i'm a little more trusting then most people. Maybe that'll be the death of me. the guy sitting next to me in class is trying to make it just like me. sure he might have some weird habits or suck at driving but nobody's perfect. Once again, that's preference.

what other points should I consider or advice to be successful can you guys give me?

9. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    CR England used to let you download their 12 test books (pdf form). Most of the stuff that are in these books are common knowledge.

What the teachers will teach you will be invaluable. Even if you dont drive for them beyond training. The knowledge of sleep habits and other areas is something I liked to know as a driver.

What or where to learn? Well hmmm, I dont know of anything that really covers this area. Hands on experience will be the best training.

As to the redderick of "school having the better trainers" sounds more like recruiter talk. If you want honest answers? Go to a truck stop and ask a driver for the company. There are plenty of them out there. Ask them, their info will be less biased than what you will read about here. I havent met a driver yet who wouldnt be willing to answer "good" questions. Things like how many miles and so on.

Most national companies carry a insensitivity about them that leaves a bad taste. My feeling was that altho CR has some real issues, they seemed to be working on them.

10. rebel1998

rebel1998 Bobtail Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Elkton, KY
    I have not heard anything about CRE working out their problems. I just read last night where one of their trucks was involved back in May. I would not be surprised if they let the driver go even though the accident was not his fault. I read about the accident in the June 1-14 issue of the trucker.

11. silverdot

silverdot Bobtail Member

Jun 17, 2009
    Austin, TX
    When I called the recruiter and asked her some of the questions and concerns she even acknowledge some of the things that people have been saying and said that in fact they do read these forums and are aware. Especially concerning wait times for trainers etc.

I keep coming back to this forum to read something i haven't read before and i manage to do so. thanks for your kind words and input. any advice i can get is valuable to me.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.