What does it mean to be OTR

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by ulenie, Feb 21, 2019.

1. ulenie

ulenie Medium Load Member

May 24, 2018
    Houston, TX
    I was under the impression that OTR means you are given loads that have large # of miles in them...and regional and local are given loads that keep them close to home. As an OTR person my current company(schneider bulk) sends me local 100 to 200 mile runs when am far away from home. Is this a norm? As an OTR person can i refuse to take these loads

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. QuietStorm

QuietStorm Heavy Load Member

Dec 11, 2016
    Over The Road just means you go everywhere. When I was with Schneider, they paid more for loads under 300 miles. And yeah, if you don't have a home time request in, they're just going to keep you doing whatever is available until they find a load paying good enough to justify sending you a long way, especially if you're in a place everyone else hates being in.

Whenever they sent me to Jersey or the northeast I would put in a home time request before I even started driving. Otherwise, I'd be there for weeks.

4. ulenie

May 24, 2018
    Houston, TX
    Ya there is a 20 bucks extra pay but doesnt come close to justifying all the time wasted in traffic and all the unpaid stops and time wasted at tank washes. I will have to start puttin in a 1 day off time just so that they wont waste my time with this mickey mouse local crap.

Lepton1 and QuietStorm Thank this.
  5. QuietStorm

QuietStorm Heavy Load Member

Dec 11, 2016
    Should probably put it in the Qualcomm tonight if you're still there. Over time you'll learn where you don't want to be and plan accordingly. Don't be afraid to call up your DBL and tell them you need miles.

ulenie Thanks this.
  6. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    A lot of the megas ship their long distance and non time sensitive stuff by rail. That's eliminated a lot of coast to coast work.

DAX_, Lepton1, x1Heavy and 1 other person Thank this.
  7. ulenie

May 24, 2018
    Houston, TX
    I already told him that a couple weeks back when they had me stuck in Alabama doing worthless crap. They gave me a 1800 miles run right afterwards. But I shouldn't have to complain to get long haul loads. May be am at the wrong company or type of work(tanker) for what I want to do, which is drive.

QuietStorm and Lepton1 Thank this.
  8. ulenie

May 24, 2018
    Houston, TX
    Am not looking for coast to coast runs. Anything greater than 500 miles at this point

9. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    If you don’t have a year in, finish your year or your contract agreement if you have one, THEN sign up for some gig paying you for what you know as well as what you do.

Look around, hand...you’re surrounded by green grass.

Woodys, QuietStorm and Lepton1 Thank this.
  10. Buckeye 60

Buckeye 60 Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2018
    companies like to bounce in bad áreas till the can find something decent to get out and if you dont complain why should they do it any different

QuietStorm Thanks this.
  11. Easy_Money_Trucker

Easy_Money_Trucker Bobtail Member

Feb 12, 2019
    Eagan, MN
    He went to Schneider. Haaaaahaaaaaaa.
    Sucks, bud.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.