What does Leasing do to your credit?

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by Driver Eight, Dec 7, 2019.

1. Driver Eight

Driver Eight Light Load Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Pro (Lease success) or con (failure), or nothing, this seems like a relevant question to consider on some level given the risks (to your personal income) in leasing failure. I simply haven't seen it mentioned anywhere, so I had assumed it was not a consideration. But considering my credit just took a 17 point hit for no good reason that I can think of....

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    From what I hear is has no impact. Because the leasing companies don't report to credit companies. They just charge a lot of money to lease a truck or they have the Walk Away lease deals. They don't even check credit. That why you just sign you name and you get a truck. They just charge a lot for the truck and if you fail. They can lease it to another person who think they can make the payments.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  4. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    i have leased my last 2 cars now, yes i know, apples/oranges comparisons, but the leasing company did check my credit report/scores.

late for a payment...BAM..it gets reported

miss a payment..BAM, they report that

on time payments, BAM they report that....

usually anytime an inquiry is made on your credit, it gets a little ding.

whether or not it affects your score, depends on how many inquiries there have been.

but again, that's for 4 wheelers......

5. HoneyBadger67

HoneyBadger67 Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2018
    Savannah, TN
    If you've recently paid something off, your score will take a hit but rebound in a couple months. Sometimes, depending on your personal auto insurance, when it's time to renew the policy they check your credit causing a small dip in your score.

Many, many things can cause a 5 - 30 point dip. Give it a month or two, if it was a routine check it'll pop right back up.

buddyd157 Thanks this.
  6. Scoot 1971

Scoot 1971 Light Load Member

Nov 22, 2018
    The outfit I lease purchased my truck from did report to credit companies from the beginning of lease til I took possession of truck. It did seem to give my credit score a boost.

buddyd157 Thanks this.
  7. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    There's a reason your score took a dip.

If it's a blip. It'll rebound back up. Otherwise. There's a reason.

I refid my car. 6 points. New loan. Same. Once the old loan closed out. 35 points.
    I don't know what the credit cards did as there's too many variable. But I lost from inquiries and closures also.
    Experian is having a hard time rebounding but the other 2 are only down slightly.

If you have balances. Your score will vary each month depending on amount of available credit left to use. So if your balances went up. Your score goes down.

HoneyBadger67 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.