what does the future holds

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Blkcowboy, Jul 20, 2018.

1. Blkcowboy

Blkcowboy Light Load Member

Apr 11, 2018
    would like to hear the thoughts and opinions of others as to what technical advances you know ,got wind of or think will transpire in the next 2-5 years of semi truck development. if im correct the nikoli hydro truck will be in production in 2019 . we got glider we got def and soon hydro ....share your thoughts

" i sometimes find myself thinking that i should maybe hold off on investing in any equipment what so ever until all this technical stuff runs its course"

Mattflat362 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. HopeOverMope

HopeOverMope Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2016
    I-20 LOUISIANA
    I wouldn’t expect to much change to fast. Even with the production of nikola or the Tesla truck, they require a huge infrastructure rebuild that will take many years to accommodate those types of energy for regular business.

Blkcowboy Thanks this.
  4. Blkcowboy

Apr 11, 2018
    true

5. Atlanta trucker

Atlanta trucker Road Train Member

Jan 25, 2017
    Truck drivers will go the way of buggy whip makers ... they will be no more. Sounds good to me , ready to learn other trades , jobs , postions , skills etc. Onwards and opwards.

6. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Right sure we will, and then we'll get jobs driving the ambulances for the people the driverless trucks keep running over.

7. Blkcowboy

Apr 11, 2018
    lol

8. Rubber duck kw

Dec 9, 2017
    The "technological advances" as you so nicely put it will never stop, they get electric trucks, they'll think of something else they want to try. I personally don't see electric trucks this century, we just simply don't have the infrastructure to produce that much juice. Hydrogen trucks i dont see happening ever, admittedly i dont know much about them but anybody who's ever heard of the Hindenburg can imagine why it's a bad idea.

Blkcowboy Thanks this.
  9. Rubber duck kw

Dec 9, 2017
    Just imagine all the trucks in this country trying to drive themselves down the highway with the stupid stuff you see everyday around you driving down the road.

10. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    Since trucking is 90 percent small business (20 trucks or less) and 97 percent (6 trucks or less), they are all going to pay the drivers and spend extra money on the cost of self driving trucks until trucking utopia arrives. Trucking is such a high profit margin as it is.

Trucks will run 24/7 since all shippers and receivers are open 24/7, insurance companies will gladly accept the liability of a truck trying to navigate narrow streets that aren’t meant for trucks, trucks that have to back on a dock and stick out in the road since the trailers are 53 foot and not 40 feet anymore like in my job’s case. Shippers will accept the liability for product condition since the truck will drive perfectly,(coils anyone)? I constantly have to move product after each stop so it doesn’t fall, so the Luddite arm will come into play along with reasoning ability.

The self driving truck will just know how to back under a trailer that’s dropped too low or high, how to secure doors with a broken latch, how to barely reverse against the dock to get the clamp to release, how to slide the tandems back to be able to move the wedged wheel chock. It will know how to spot a leaking hub, tell a mudflap is ripped and fix it, it will know how to get on level ground so the doors will get square to shut again, and it will have a Luddite arm with a hammer to beat the handle back in when it can’t quite shut. It will perform very well figuring out locations in gravel parking lots, and shippers will spend tons of money to accommodate their electronic shortcomings, we all know shippers always fix things.

It will hear the air leak on the service hose and fix it, air up flats without the TPMS system (Luddite arm again) replace its fuse when the clearance lights won’t come on, wedge the plug to make all the lights work or spread the pin, it will read and check the DOT paperwork and verify the current inspection. It will be able to back into any spot with precision because it’s covered in sensors, and we all know nothing ever hits trailers and knocks things off right? Then there’s the 70-80% distrust rate of autonomous vehicles, two lane roads, unmarked lanes, constructions zone, re-routing on the spot for wrecks driving through the median into oncoming traffic to get to an exit, or being directed to go the opposite way down an entrance ramp to circumvent an interstate shutdown.

I could keep going but the self driving truck will already be here next week, and I need to go file for unemployment.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
  11. Blkcowboy

Apr 11, 2018
    lol true and i agree technology will countinue to evolve over time or try to. i also think that at some point the evolving process would become more of fine tuining process vs the major leaps they are trying to make now . for example the s60 ,6nz, n14 was the outcome of years of development . i thought def engines would have followed the same trend as all technical advances do and eventually a def engine would surpass older engines all around but it seems like the developers are not focused and everyone is all over the map on what direction to go......as for self driving trucks i think the idea came about becausr someone realized the powrer truck drivers have if they stand united and made demands

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.