What dump truck to buy ?

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by BCV, May 26, 2018.

1. BCV

BCV Light Load Member

May 26, 2018
    Hello Forum.
    I have 300,000 miles behind me hauling vehicles to every state except Maine, then switched to running heavy equipment, excavators, loaders, grapples, etc and driving a 50 yard dump truck hauling debris for 3 years.
    Now I want to buy a used dump and need some advice on what truck to get with a price tag around 50K. I realize this will be a older truck. I see guys in and out of Boxley here in Lynchburg, Virginia running triple axels and leaning that way.
    I've read lots of posts on here and picked up looking for 44K+ drive and 20K front. Should I be looking for beds that are 16+ feet and what the best bed and size ?
    Who makes the best systems that run the lift ?
    What about bags ?
    I see to stay away from air ride suspension and dump conversions.
    I lean toward Kenworth, Peters, and Mac but really just looking for best bang for my buck.
    I'll have my dually w 19.5's that holds 133 gallons of fuel to support the operation with the goal of some type loader/excavator but that's for another thread.
    Your guidance is greatly appreciated.
    Thank you.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Everyone runs air ride on dumps up here......

Maybe if it’s never gonna leave the quarry I’d go springs .

4. BCV

BCV Light Load Member

May 26, 2018
    Ok. So I'm back on track w air ride. Thank you

5. NightWind

NightWind Road Train Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Sunny South, AL
    Here in AL we don't normally run air suspensions on triaxles except triaxle trailers. We have a lot of triaxles with steerable axles as well.

6. dumptruck89

dumptruck89 Light Load Member

Feb 27, 2015
    MA
    If I were you, and going to be driving the truck every day air ride is the way to go. I have the Camelback on my tractor pulling dump trailer and it's a ruff ride. Definitely look for something double framed. I'm not sure how the terrain is by you but would suggest at least 475hp, 13spd, preferably 18spd and something like 3.91 gears. Maybe go to 4.11 or 4.33 not sure what the terrain is around you. As far as box length goes look around at the trucks you see running every day, judge it off that.

7. Cam Roberts

Cam Roberts Road Train Member

May 13, 2018
    I own triaxle pete with air trac. I’m mostly off road. Bags are fine as long as you don’t hire people to drive your truck. They drive like idiots . Keep the truck in first gear off road and you won’t blow an airbag. When you go to dump your load, always dump your bags

Camelclutch Thanks this.
  8. BCV

BCV Light Load Member

May 26, 2018
    This makes sense and helpful. Thank you.

9. BCV

BCV Light Load Member

May 26, 2018
    Thank you fellas. Everyone's posts are getting me back on track. I appreciate it.

10. Cam Roberts

Cam Roberts Road Train Member

May 13, 2018
    I have an 18 speed but if you plan on doing any work like me and are in crappy conditions like crappy dumps where you need to lock in the tandems and need to crawl out of soft material up to your differentials with 23 and a half tons in your box an 8LL is far superior. Most dumptrucks get ordered with that trans becuase it has deep reduction. I only have an 18 speed becuase I bought this truck used obviously. It was meant for mostly blacktop work

11. Caterpillar Cowboy

Caterpillar Cowboy Heavy Load Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Wyoming
    To spec a proper dump truck, it really helps to know exactly what your main application is going to be, and what you will be doing here and there, and what you will never be doing, along with what states you will be running in.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.