What equipment do I need when I get mechanic to install CB Radio?

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by expedite_it, Apr 6, 2020.

1. expedite_it

expedite_it Road Train Member

Sep 8, 2012
    I have never had a CB Radio installed in a truck I drive in my entire career. So please assume I know nothing and explain things to me as if I am a 5 year old.

I have a Cobra 29 LTD Classic CB Radio. I have a 4 ft long 150 watt Francis pre-tuned antenna. I don't have any other equipment for my CB radio whatsoever. My Cobra 29 LTD Classic CB Radio came with a microphone, so I don't need a microphone.

I'm a company driver, working for a mega carrier. I'm not allowed to install the CB Radio myself. I'm not allowed to hire a mechanic to install my CB Radio. I have to let my company's mechanics at a terminal install my CB Radio, which I am going to have done two days from now on Wednesday, April 08.

Right now I am at a truckstop. I'm not going to the terminal until tomorrow. As I said earlier, the CB Radio itself (with the microphone included) and the antenna are the only things I have so far for this CB Radio. The truck I drive is a 2020 Freightliner Cascadia. What other equipment related to my CB Radio should I pick up at the truckstop before I go to the terminal to get the CB Radio and antenna installed? For instance, do I need some sort of mounting bracket for the antenna? Anything else?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chubby Fly

Chubby Fly Medium Load Member

Nov 25, 2019
    I use Wilson trucker antenna but it should be tuned and trimmed. I highly doubt those company mechanics will actually hook up a meter and do that though.

expedite_it Thanks this.
  4. expedite_it

Sep 8, 2012
    What type of meter would one use to tune and trim the antenna?

5. Chubby Fly

Chubby Fly Medium Load Member

Nov 25, 2019
    I borrowed one of those inline swr meters from a trucker friend. I too have a cobra 29. The meters that come on the cb won’t be sufficient enough to trim the antenna from what I have been told.

6. Troy McClure

Troy McClure Bobtail Member

Apr 2, 2020
    4 ft antenna is ok, if you have room for higher (depending on your mounting point) longer is better. Your standard microphone will work fine but if you want to sound louder to other drivers you might invest in a power microphone with noise canceling such as a D104 Road Devil.

You can also do an adjustment inside the radio to adjust modulation to make yourself sound louder and increase peak output of the radio

A nice inline meter is always useful for checking SWR and output wattage.

For the bare essentials though you should be ready to roll.

Chubby Fly Thanks this.
  7. Dennixx

Dennixx Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2010
    twin cities
    Chubby Fly Thanks this.
  8. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Do not open the radio up and try to adjust anything unless you know what you are doing.

expedite_it, Meteorgray and Finfn1372 Thank this.
  9. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    172B3000-2F65-4BF1-9116-FA62FE2A6B4D.png

Finfn1372 Thanks this.
  10. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Get rid of the francis....pos ant...Grab a firestick with tuneable tip...As long as you can find..I think the tuneable tip stops at a 5 or 6 ft..
    Maybe let company mechanic(likely knows nothing about a radio or ant)install it but dont use it...Find a fecident cb shop go over the install and use an antenna analyzer to chk your ant tune.....

Do nott go inside the radio and leave it alone till your ready after you learn more about radios n such in general....
    There are threads here that address issues with cascadias and radios n such..

11. expedite_it

Sep 8, 2012
    Update: The mechanics did not install the antenna for me. The 2020 Freightliner Cascadia has its own antenna that is built into the truck at the factory.

The mechanics installed my CB Radio, and it works.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.