What flatbed company is better to work for?

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by JD_MILLS22, Mar 1, 2013.

1. JD_MILLS22

JD_MILLS22 Bobtail Member

Mar 1, 2013
    New member here. i really need some help deciding what flatbed company i wanna work for. still new to driving only have 6 months experience. but have decided to get away from the vans. i've got 4 companies that are just waiting on me to make a decision. they are btc, jordan, boyd brothers and western express. just not sure which one would be better. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Chinatown Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jxu417

jxu417 Road Train Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Midwestern OH
    Of the companies that you listed I would say BTC and Boyd would be the two I would consider the most. Not familiar with Jordan. Maverick, TMC, Decker, Roehl, Prime are not ones you are considering? I drive for Maverick and am very happy.

4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Melton Truck Lines has APU's if that would be a deciding factor.

5. jxu417

jxu417 Road Train Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Midwestern OH
    Oh yeah, forgot to say Melton in that group. Felt like I was forgetting someone.

6. JD_MILLS22

Mar 1, 2013
    I had an orientation with maverick set up about 4 months ago and had some family problems the night before I was supposed to leave. So I didn't make it. Called them the next morning and explained it and they were nice about everything. Then called them back about a week ago and was told tere was nothing they could do. But of the 4 I listed btc and boyd brothers and mcelroy are the maid ones I'm considering. They're all located pretty close to me. And seem to be good ones

7. Madd_Maxx

Madd_Maxx Bobtail Member

Mar 2, 2013
    knightdale, NC
    I started my driving career with western express. I had good runs and was dispatched out of birmingham AL. The home time could be a little better. Of course I excepted every load because I wanted to stay out there as long as possible. back in 2010 they upgraded all there trucks to freightliner cascadia's. there trucks are governed at 65 and they are programmed to shut down after about 10 minutes of running. they have bunk heaters for the cold months. As far as the AC you are kinda out of luck during the summer months. Hope this helps in your decision making.

8. billybigrig659

billybigrig659 Bobtail Member

Jan 12, 2013
    waymart,pa
    stay away from western express. I read allot of bad things on them, but i said to myself everyone has a different experience. So I said I would give them a shot, and it absolutely sucked. pay was terrible I think flatbed tops out at .34cpm and van tops out at .30cpm. the nice thing is that they do have both, for instance my back went out while doing flatbed and i was able to switch over to van for awhile though i ended up quitting before i went back. Now depending on where you live and how long you want to stay out, depends on your home time. Personally I lived in Greenville, NC and was able to get home on the weekends 95% of the time. The van side only runs the east coast and you can be out for 3 to 4 weeks at a time on occasion 2 weeks.

9. JD_MILLS22

Mar 1, 2013
    I've talked to a few other drivers from western express and none seemed satisfied. plus home time is a big thing as well. btc said i would be home every weekend they're out of memphis tn and i live in northern ms. not farmiliar with how they're pay scale works though. it pays 27% of the load i've never ran anything like that. not sure if money can be made. boyd brothers starts at 39cpm and i was told i would be home almost every weekend as well. plus they had a $1000.00 bonus after 30 days. i've never ran flatbeds before though both have a 1 week orientation and one week on load securement. with no trainers. i've pretty much narrowed it down to those two. they seem to be a overall good company.

10. tlyles1117

tlyles1117 Bobtail Member

Mar 2, 2013
    I wasn't sure which company to drive for myself. I will tell you that I saw a Howard Transportation recruiter at my school not long ago. She did a presentation for the class. Of all the recruiters that came in, I believe that she was the most honest of any of them. She mentioned the good things about the company, and the not so good things. I did not hear any other recruiter say a negative thing in their presentation. This meant a lot to me. On top of that, she said one thing that really got me thinking. She said that there is no PERFECT trucking company out there, because if there was, there would be no others, because every driver would be driving for that one. That is what made up my mind about which company I really want to work for. I have a couple of applications in with flatbed companies, but I am definitely wanting to get on with Howard Transportation!!!

11. galil13

galil13 Bobtail Member

Mar 2, 2013
    do not work 4 melton take my advised:biggrin_25513:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.