What happend to the 5th wheel?

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Proxy, Jun 20, 2019.

1. Proxy

Proxy Light Load Member

Sep 3, 2018
    So long story short, driver claimed to have 5th wheel issues after his 3 stop, wasn't able to latch to the last trailer. He was let go this morning for comprehension issues so I will not even bother asking him as he will deny it anyways. What is your best guess as to what happened? to me it looks like he dropped the bags, backed in, then raised up, pulled forward and smashed the king pin twice.... but I cant seem to figure out why he would pull forward unless latched and was doing a tug pull... Maybe he was trying to re align and forgot to drop bags again? either way id expect more from a driver with 23years exp.....

Anyone who might know what brand or part# it is so I can locate a replacement? truck is 2015 T680, looks like a Jost but cant tell, thanks!!

5th wheel damage 2.jpg 5th wheel damage 1.jpg

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    Dave_in_AZ and bzinger Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. A5¢

A5¢ Medium Load Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Wow! Whatever he did, he did the hell out of it. It seems he has the skills to break an anvil. At least you won't have to deal with that driver anymore.

4. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    ..and I was thinking 23 years old....

I've never seen anything like that (damage) sheesh!

Sorry, I dont have any answers for you. Good luck.

MartinFromBC and Proxy Thank this.
  5. RocketScott

RocketScott Medium Load Member

Apr 10, 2013
    Kentucky
    Pin was high enough/plate low enough that they went past each other but not so far apart that they could clear when he tried to pull back out

Guessing the trailer was dropped without lowering the bags, or by a truck that doesn't have bags, or bigger wheels. After 23 years of driving he probably didn't want to GOAL before backing under

Lots of derp right there, whatever the reason

BoxCarKidd, olddog_newtricks and Proxy Thank this.
  6. Proxy

Proxy Light Load Member

Sep 3, 2018
    I think you nailed it!!

7. Michael 247

Michael 247 Heavy Load Member

Nov 20, 2017
    Dublin Va
    Looks like the kingpin missed the slot..looks like it's also happened at least two times before this one..see the rusted parts...it was already partly broken..

BoxCarKidd and Proxy Thank this.
  8. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    Jumped the pin and to stupid to raise the legs of trailer or block the 5th wheel to get back out....... instead just smashed the crap out of it trying to get out. You got to ask yourself this, what other damage did he do to driveline ect .... that you cant see.

9. Proxy

Proxy Light Load Member

Sep 3, 2018
    coming from a staff member it looks like we've officially hit rock bottom, hopefully we only go up from here! LOL!!

MartinFromBC and bzinger Thank this.
  10. Proxy

Proxy Light Load Member

Sep 3, 2018
    sad part is all he needed to do is drop the bags and he'd probably clear it....

LtlAnonymous Thanks this.
  11. Proxy

Proxy Light Load Member

Sep 3, 2018
    rained heavy last night as well, but I agree it probably started off as a crack and he polished it off

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.