What has 400 horses

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by LGarrison, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    I am still waiting on the performance of Ford and the 6.7.

Especially high mileage.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    Most of that is usually from lack of maintence. Ficm usually goes with the alternator and both were done for $500.... In fact at 100k the only real problem I've had with my tuned 6.0 is a hit and run driver and a guard rail :(

4. Roadmedic

Apr 4, 2007
    You are going to either be an exception, lucky or being see more problems.

Most of the guys I know that used the 6.0 traded at losses to get out of them.

5. LGarrison

LGarrison Road Train Member

May 19, 2011
    Sandpoint Idaho
    Funny how this thread got jacked.

6. texan007

texan007 Medium Load Member

Jun 5, 2010
    In the woods,TEXAS
    I like the helping out of the big guy.

I will keep my tuned chevy!

7. Roadmedic

Apr 4, 2007
    How many miles on your truck now?

8. Jfaulk99

Jfaulk99 Road Train Member

May 16, 2009
    Couch
    Well they were smart and dumped everything from IH. The heads being flipped is a good idea since the turbo on a V8 is in the valley, seems stupid to have all the extra piping. 6 bolt main caps are nice, the turbo is the HP limit. So far I'm pleased, gets between 14-19mpg, quiet and runs well. If it turns out to be a POS I'll dump it. A friend is the sales manager at a local Ford/Chrysler dealer. A few have dropped some valves (all were 450/550's but Ford never questioned them, they sent an entire motor for a swap no questions asked. Dodge wouldn't even warranty junk injectors. They required the dealers to move injectors between cylinders to try and minimize smoke/missing when there was an issue.

Please explain how a cracked EGR/oil cooler or a cracked head was from lack of maintence? What is the PM procedure for a FICM? Now the 7.3's issues were from people too cheap to change their oil regularly.

Well good luck with your 6.0, just had a friend call me last month because his dads 6.0 was puffing white smoke between shifts and the fuel mileage was crap. It's either the FICM/injectors or a bad turbo shaft seal. Let the nickel and dime game begin!

9. Roadmedic

Apr 4, 2007

You might be in a good position to hear things.

I had heard some had replaced engines, but not much more.

Seems Ford has staked a great deal on this and maybe........

Dodge has forgotten where they get their money.

10. Jfaulk99

Jfaulk99 Road Train Member

May 16, 2009
    Couch
    Hope it's not an '08! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1338425056.369076.jpg
    Friend is a Dmax mechanic and had had 3 this year alone with broken cranks and 2 of them ruined the blocks. Funny thing is none were tuned, the stock ones break parts, tuned they're fine!

11. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    Egr cooler heats coolant, idiots at ford use a dex cool style coolant that gums up in warm temps, cooler gums up oil cooler which blocks flow to the egr cooler, egr cooler gets hot and pops, which will also cause head gasket issues, other head gasket cause is people letting the trucks sit or idle to much clogging the vgt causing the turbo to stick and over boost.

Ficm goes after the alternator usually, so keeping clean connections and charged batteries help, but alternators do go (7.3 and 6.0 have same pn) injectors are usually non ford/racor filters for oil or fuel, not using fuel additive or running Dino 1540 oil.

Best $200 you can spend on a 6.0 is a coolant filter and a scanguage 2 to monitor the important parts.... Or don't and keep up the good work bad mouthing them and driving the values down, love buying 5 year old trucks for cheap money when a new ones 60 grand. Ill post pics of the crap that came out of my cooling system when I get home which would of started the chain reaction to the problems

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.