what I'm looking for in a company driver OTR position

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by longbedGTs, Oct 19, 2017.

1. longbedGTs

longbedGTs Heavy Load Member

May 8, 2007
    Texas
    I don't think it's a bad thing to have expectations from the company you're driving for...as long as they're within reason. There's no reason to settle if you're in a good position, because trucking is such an involving job to have. So...here are mine. This is somewhat of a feeler btw, as I'm just about tired of my current company's low wage...so feel free to tell me how reasonable or unreasonable I'm being. As a driver of 10 years with a good(but not perfect) record...
    -$1000 minimum NET each week(taxes are approx 25%)
    -No California or north east and will rarely go east of the Mississippi
    -paper or ELD(as long as I'm making my quota above, the logging method doesn't matter)
    -no driver cameras or hand holding or micromanaging devices/treatment from anyone
    -truck that can do the speed limits out west and have speed for passing(70mph is fine by me)
    -truck...as in an actual truck. Not a fleet spec aero mobile. I want to drive something I am proud of(even if it's not mine)
    That's all for now. I really feel like I can do better, and as much as I hate to change companies...if I have the chance to better myself, then I will. Also might mention that I'm really wanting to take the step into getting my own truck, but right now, I don't have the financial cushion to make the leap. So...thoughts? I'm curious as to what the more experienced think here.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JayBibb

JayBibb Bobtail Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Milford, OH
    If it's out there, go get it. And good luck to you.

Puppage, buddyd157 and longbedGTs Thank this.
  4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Try Greatwide.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I drove for Greatwide as a company driver and it was pretty good. You can also be an 0/0 there.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
    Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  5. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    :biggrin_2559: Sorry pal, you were born about 20 years too late for all those expectations, not these days. You can't have boundries, like you mention, and want OTR. You have to go anywhere, anytime, or get a local job, and that's going to be a jellybean truck ( but the money is there). Nobody runs cool trucks anymore, and if the gubment has it's way, they never will again.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
    Dave_in_AZ, Puppage, kylefitzy and 3 others Thank this.
  6. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    (Warning...long post. For you short post lovers, stop at the dotted line)

The trucking owners who advertise online and on TTL all believe that truck drivers make too much money. Why should they pay you, Mr 10 Year Driver, when they can hire some fat, greasy, smell like arse, sidewalk sissy off the street and put him in a POS truck chocked full with cattleprods.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are some areas of this industry where they have to pay you for what you know. Tankers pay better because you actually have to know how to drive. Everyone thinks that they can drive, but the majority can just hold a steeringwheel. Those that can actually drive will get paid. And those places that tankers go...with all the security, armies of safetymen, big oil propaganda and nature films...many are unable to adapt and fit in.

Now, there are some tanker companies with straight up largecars and matching trailers. Wow! Easy to have pride in that ride when that ride is a largecar. So why dont more companies buy nicer rigs and hire better drivers? Because the vast majority of people coming in to this industry dont have enough pride to shower and wipe their arse. Why buy a $200k rig when you cant find a solid driver? "Snowflakes"...I thinks that what they call sidewalk sissies nowadays.
    (Long post by Six. Be sure to click away now if you dont like long posts)
    @"semi" retired did a good post. You're 20 years too late. Years ago, companies bought big rides. Fast trucks. And the guys that drove them were bad arses. Full on, old school TRUCKER. Tough as nails, lean and mean, boot wearing, gun toting, weather beaten, fearless, take no crap, to hell and back and got the tee shirt to prove it, SOB. These guys were real simple. 2 questions they'd ask in an interview, 1.) What does it pay? 2.) How fast is the truck?
    Didn't matter where the load went. Didn't matter about the weather. They didnt have discussion about tire chains and company policy. In those days, you hired a machine. You say, "Go!" He'd say, "Gone!"

When and how did it all start downhill.

Well, the world started to change. The Duke was gone. The Dukes were gone. And Magnum PI was the rage. And the 80's sucked! Well, to keep up with the demand, some companies started looking in different areas for drivers. they found a new market..."Hey, this guy doesnt care about how fast the truck is and how much it pays, he wants to be treated like a person." So they started advertising. It caught on. Guys with no self esteem started flocking in droves. "Get this! We dont have to pay them, we just have to pretend to listen to them and care about them!"

Well, it's not just the trucking industry...everyone else does it. The police dept. years ago, we had to qualify every couple of years. Like the medical cards the drivers have to carry, we had to prove that we were physically and mentally fit every couple years in order to keep our job. The military now...those Time Out cards? That's to get sidewalk sissies to enlist.

Anyways, the guys who were in when I got in are getting up in age. That toughness we knew is dying out rapidly. It is a rarity in the States now. No one is tough. Everyone takes the path of least resistance. Why do people join the megas despite everyone in the business warning them? Because it takes no effort. Recruiter came to the school and handed you a prehire letter. Why do so many people divorce? Because it takes no effort. Why do people take what the news media says as the gospel truth? Because it takes no effort. Why are there so many Braindeads in the world? Because it takes no effort. Why do people abuse drugs and alcohol? Because it is the path of least resistance.

It's been 40 years. In 20 years, the last of the tough guys will be gone. What is going to happen then? They will need autonomous trucks because no one will be tough enough to drive. What about soldiers and police?

7. Teivel VP

Teivel VP Light Load Member

Dec 9, 2014
    NorCal
    Maybe look at Western Distribution Transportation Corp. Out of the Denver CO area. They run all long nose Peterbilt 389's with Cummins under the hood. Their ad says they run the 11 western pulling reefer freight. I'm not sure about the pay but I assume it would be average. They've been around for a long time. I tried to get on with them but I'm not 25 yet so I went out and bought my own truck.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  8. IluvCATS

IluvCATS Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    My demands say you can’t send me to Chicago. But they don’t listen.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  9. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    Trucking co's operate just fine with regular trucks and so-so pay/benefits etc. Why should they buy upgraded trucks that run f-a-s-t just to please a certain kind of driver? Right ? Trucking is a business, not a hobbie to appeal to drivers. Oh, BTW, all those beat up trucks you see as well as filthy dirty trucks are from the drivers beating them up (in most cases) and not washing them. Show me a filthy truck and I'll show you a driver with no pride. Yes, I'm well aware of different co's washing policies. Some pay/re-imburse to wash, some only wash monthly at their terminals etc.

Anyway, keep looking for your type of requirements......would you settle for $950/week net ? and an occasional Ca. run ?

nightgunner Thanks this.
  10. longbedGTs

longbedGTs Heavy Load Member

May 8, 2007
    Texas
    Loving the replies so far. Thanks guys and I get the sense of humor here. I have 2 companies in mind. Monson and Sons and Kimrad Transport. More interested in Kimrad since they have a tanker division and that's what I'm most interested in right now. I've had tanker since the start as an endorsement, but have never used it. Well, it might be about time to start. Also...both outfits have Cadillacs, so that's cool too. Western out of Colorado has some of the prettiest shade of blue trucks I've ever seen, but they pay just a cent more than I'm making right now. I'd do Cali on a rare occasion if the money was there. Cali should have extra pay for pickups and deliveries...kinda like the 5 boroughs of New York. I can dream, right? :D

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  11. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Kaiser out of Janesville wi ...?

kylefitzy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.