What is a bad company?

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by Grayguy, Oct 1, 2017.

1. Grayguy

Grayguy Bobtail Member

Oct 1, 2017
    I firguer this would be the best place to ask. I'm new to this forum. I've been OTR for over 25 years. And really just stay away from other drivers ( to much crying) (IMHP) I listen to xm radio road dog ch. ( which I haven't firguer out why any human would call themselves a dog is be on me.) Any how my question is what makes a bad company? Really is the mega fleets bad? Why they make money right. Why else would you be in business? Really, could only a few hundred drivers that are happy keep these company alive? Now with those question I must say I now work for a big company. But for 22 years working for small company or just an O/O I was the crying driver pay me more give me more miles let me work harder :/ yeah ok lol . I've never made the money that I make today. Yeah I know crazy ( call this guy he'll put you to work and you'll make big money) . No thanks been there got that t-shirt.
    Isn't the American dream to start a company and make money? And don't even start with they treat drivers like crap. These mega fleet have been around for few years so that's not the problem. And turn over rate HELL I've worked for 13 different company been there to ( have that t-shirt to) maybe I grew up who knows.
    Last Question if you are in business to make money and today you could go buy 5000 trucks 10000 trailers put a 100 million dollar building up gross 2 billion dollars would you do it? Now remember you want to make money.....

nightgunner and Milr72 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. sealevel

sealevel Road Train Member

May 31, 2012
    U.S. 41
    This thread has the strong potential of never ending nonsense. I have a t shirt as well. On the front it says "what's your point?" on the back it says "Who cares".

Steel Dragon, aussiejosh, DTP and 10 others Thank this.
  4. Grayguy

Grayguy Bobtail Member

Oct 1, 2017
    Nonsense? Who cares? My point is TRUCKING BUSINESS. What part didn't you get? Truck drivers cry about lager company. Cry about not working hard enough and mega company are the problem. I simply ask Why? Can someone explain?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
  5. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    Because people don't know what work is anymore? In my mind, I don't believe these mega companies are all that horrible. Sure they have a bad habit of driving rates for everyone else down. But, they are billion dollar companies with thousands of driver's, office people, and mechanics. So, are they really all that bad? Or have we as a society gotten soft? Besides, they generally provide free entertainment at truck stops...

I actually want to work for a large company once. When my kids are grown, and the house is paid off, and no other debts, I wanna see for myself if it's really as bad as some make it out to be. I think it can't be as bad as some on here would have one believe

Voodoo Pyg Thanks this.
  6. Anonymousproxy

Anonymousproxy Road Train Member

Mar 2, 2015
    A bad company is one that tries to scam you out of wages you earned for work performed(bounced check, loads missing from settlements despite already sending POD in), does not maintain its equipment, blatantly coerces drivers to run illegally or when and where its not safe(as in road closed, total white-out blizzard), hometime is a big gray area. If things happen beyond the company’s control on a load, well guess what...#### happens.

Of course there’s a multitude of post and flee threads in the bad company section by people which always go- “don’t work for this company blah blah blah” without any real explanation or just minor stuff.

7. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    My favorite is the ones that are a willing accomplice to a crappy company and get surprised when said crappy company turns out to treat them the same. What I mean by that is companies that hire drivers on 1099, but they are an employee. Or the ones that willing color outside the lines and get shocked when they move on that the company kept their last paycheck and the like.

Lonesome and Toomanybikes Thank this.
  8. HalpinUout

HalpinUout Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    All of them are crap, pick your poison. Wages are stuck in the 80s.

Steel Dragon, bigjoel, DTP and 2 others Thank this.
  9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    A bad company? or a truly BAAAD outfit?

hum let's see here....

I remember one outfit that was eyeballing me to hire on. Driving a parking lot hauling classic cars to and from Florida. Oh by the way can you handle a 150 mph truck?

Ive done 130 does that count? Why SHORE Young fella let's get in there and see how you do. Climbed into cabover and understood that half the toggle switches are missing and there is other damage from excessive wear and tear to the point of visually declining the job on the spot. I never turned a wheel on that monster cabover parking lot trailer at all. I declined to proceed any further.

he was disappointed. But you know what? ANyone who requires me to do a round trip in 15 hours at 150 plus with a truck that can do it from Maryland to Florida and back... with a load of classic cars? HA... I laugh. Im dumb at times but im not stupid.

Sure you can do a round trip he says. Miami and back, take two days off and do the log book this way, ready and rested for the next trip. (Never mind that problem of three logs needed to reconcile everything....)

That there is a BAAAD company. you should flee far from such places.

Now if's a company with a couple bad grumpy dispatchers who got a DUI in a big truck 40 years ago losing the class A but daddy kept them on a phone and desk all these years... no wonder they yell. You can deal with some of these... BAD apples easily enough and work around them working on the good loads once you sniff them out. For as long you can stand being yelled at.

Follow me so far?

Let's not even get into the really big companies where all they bark into the phone is UNIT NUMBER? instead of recognizing your voice and calling and greeting you by name. Oh this is mr so and so? WHO? Mr SO AND SO... WHO?

Sheesh, I go find a smaller outfit. Maybe there isnt any BAD ones out there.

he he he....

Lonesome Thanks this.
  10. White Dog

White Dog Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Iowa
    25 years, and 13 companies, 22 years at small companies, then spend 3 more years with how many of the 13 companies?
    With a track record like that, you've been screwed a time or two and STILL feel like you have to ask these questions?

Just spend another 5 or 6 years with 3 or 4 different megas....you MIGHT be able to answer yourself.:dontknow:

Voodoo Pyg and Lonesome Thank this.
  11. White Dog

White Dog Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Iowa
    Good....start with J.B. Hunt or Knight Transportation. Those were my two, and they were both really great companies.
    (Where is that puke emoticon?)

Voodoo Pyg and rbrtwbstr Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.