What is a D.O.T reportable incident/accident????

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by jimnfor, Mar 31, 2008.

1. jimnfor

jimnfor Light Load Member

Dec 23, 2007
    sherman, tx
    what exactly makes the occurance reportable?

2. rookietrucker

rookietrucker Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jul 15, 2007
    TEXAS
    x1Heavy Thanks this.
  3. LogsRus

LogsRus <strong>"Log it Legal"</strong>

Nov 23, 2006
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    x1Heavy Thanks this.
  4. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    The links didn't help much but I'll give you an answer off the top of my head. A reportable DOT accident (without the hazmat junk or fire) must be reported after a certain dollar valve of damage occurs and /or there's an injury. I want to say a $1000 but that may have changed. I'll do some looking.

5. HardlyWorkingNeverHome

HardlyWorkingNeverHome Heavy Load Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Hamden,CT
    It Should be in that little book with all the DOT regs that you get from your company. If a Vehicle is towed Or there is injury needing immediate off site medical treatment or death it is a DOT reportable. Short of this it is just an oops. :biggrin_25515: FMC Safety Regulations 390.5 Definitions. Then 390.15 for record keeping.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  6. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    I agree. For a note to new drivers. If your company has not given you this book you (should) can buy it at most truck stops. It's a little green book called the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations Pocketbook.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  7. jimnfor

jimnfor Light Load Member

Dec 23, 2007
    sherman, tx
    thanks for the responses. i do have the little green book, i was just being lazy.
    good luck to everyone

8. Rocks

Rocks Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Somewhere
    I know this thread is old... so I decided to revive it... According to [FONT=&amp]49 CFR 390.5 in order for an incident to be considered DOT reportable, first of all, it has to happen on a [/FONT]highway in interstate or intrastate commerce.

Read below:

§ 390.5Definitions.

Unless specifically defined elsewhere, in this subchapter:

Accident means—

(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2) of this definition, an occurrence involving a commercial motor vehicle operating on a highway in interstate or intrastate commerce which results in:
    (i) A fatality;
    (ii) Bodily injury to a person who, as a result of the injury, immediately receives medical treatment away from the scene of the accident; or
    (iii) One or more motor vehicles incurring disabling damage as a result of the accident, requiring the motor vehicle(s) to be transported away from the scene by a tow truck or other motor vehicle.

(2) The term accident does not include:
    (i) An occurrence involving only boarding and alighting from a stationary motor vehicle; or
    (ii) An occurrence involving only the loading or unloading of cargo.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
    x1Heavy Thanks this.
  9. Rocks

Rocks Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Somewhere
    deleted....

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  10. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    If you buy the book from JJ Keller's website they will send you updates of regulation changes.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  • Draft saved Draft deleted