what is an ACERT Cat? are they good engines?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by truckman29801, Nov 17, 2013.

1. truckman29801

truckman29801 Medium Load Member

Mar 10, 2013
    SC
    what is an ACERT Cat? are they good engines? I don't want or have one but im curious of whats the difference between a normal CAT and an ACERT is

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Gear head

Gear head Medium Load Member

Apr 1, 2012
    Belair,md
    acert is advanced emmisions reduction technoligy. It means that they have intake valve actuators that open the valves under pulls to help clean up exhaust output. They are good engines the only problem is the intake valve actuators go up sometimes but they are easy to change. We have a fleet of about 200 total and most have about 700,000 and no engine problems.

truckman29801 Thanks this.
  4. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Acert ......

...Another Cat Engineers R word Thought........

5. gunner76

gunner76 Medium Load Member

Mar 11, 2010
    IA
    I've been running one for almost 200k and it's been ok. The only emission related problems I've had has been a sensor that's went bad three times, but it is a five minute job to replace it so it's not too bad. As for the rest of the engine I've had to replace the o rings in the oil cooler, replace the water pump, and had one of the exhaust manifold gaskets start leaking, all of these repairs required removing the turbos because they were in the way for the repair. I've had people say you can replace the waterpump without removing the turbos, but it looks awful tight. Mileage is around 5mpg and the engine has pretty good power.

At the time I thought the Cat was a better choice than an ISX with all the EGR problems they were having, but I think it the luck of the draw with these newer engines, either you get a good one or you get a bad one.

6. IH Branded

IH Branded Medium Load Member

Jun 4, 2013
    Great Lakes area
    I can't believe there is not much activity here. When I saw this I thought "that's like asking is Protestant or Catholic any good" on here.

I have one and at first was disappointed (very) that it was such a pooch. Put a Bullydog on it and now it is probably the strongest truck I'll ever have. No change in MPG but some real lazy driving now.

I think the longevity and reliability are good but economy is not the draw.

I wish someone could figure out how to get me some mpg's.

7. truckman29801

Mar 10, 2013
    SC
    What are you getting now as far as mpg?

8. IH Branded

IH Branded Medium Load Member

Jun 4, 2013
    Great Lakes area
    Ave 5.5 on short hauls home every night. Pulling vans and mostly flats with odd shaped loads between 65,000 gross to 80,000 gross. Loaded 70% of time. Insurance gave me a Volvo to use when someone hit us and it got 6.5 for the week ave- made me sick. Only 370 hp. D12 had its tongue out bad the whole time. Nice truck but cheesy dash and it looked like the engine was awful hard to work on due to cab and hood not necessarily the engine.

9. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt

The the garage does seem to be in shambles ....... Hopefully we can rebuild !!

Cetane+ Thanks this.
  10. truckman29801

Mar 10, 2013
    SC
    Oh your the guy trading his gold for iron. Lol i wouldnt sell my pete.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.