What is average tenure for company drivers?

Discussion in 'Stevens' started by SHOJim, Nov 23, 2012.

1. SHOJim

SHOJim Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Columbus, Ohio
    Been reading a lot about Stevens being a "training" company and they always want new blood. Do most drivers hang in there a year and go somewhere else? Are there any long term careers made at Stevens? Just curious. Thanks!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. maxwelltie

maxwelltie Medium Load Member

Mar 13, 2010
    Brookings, OR
    Stevens isn't a long term company per se. I have been here 8 years, and I'm a very senior driver. There are some that have been here much longer, but you can count us on one hand.
    Most drivers who finish training will hang around for a year to two years. I can't remember the exact number but it's something like 98% of drivers that finish training are gone by two years.
    Quite frankly, you can often make more money elsewhere or for many, it's more hometime or type of loads.
    I've been around this business a long time. I'm comfortable here and it suits me.
    I am an O/O, single and simply love OTR.

NRGNXS and Little John Thank this.
  4. SHOJim

SHOJim Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Columbus, Ohio
    Have heard that Stevens training is excellent. I see that the pay isn't the greatest, but, you do get the miles?

5. maxwelltie

maxwelltie Medium Load Member

Mar 13, 2010
    Brookings, OR
    I get pretty much as many miles as I want. I'm averaging close to 3,000, but I take some time off. If I just count the weeks I'm running, I probably average around 3,200.
    But I'm an O/O and have been around a while, so I know the load planners pretty well and I can run the loads that need a fast turn.

TRKRSHONEY Thanks this.
  6. SHOJim

SHOJim Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ok, thanks maxwelltie!

7. discodubber

discodubber Light Load Member

Jun 22, 2012
    New Boston, TX
    I heard that the starting pay at CR England is only $0.17/mile. That's from an England driver... Don't know about Swift and Schneider...

I am extremely happy with Stevens. The only gripe I have with them is the phone system... I really hate the new system. The old one was so much better...

TRKRSHONEY Thanks this.
  8. LongHaulBoi55

LongHaulBoi55 Bobtail Member

Mar 1, 2013

So how's the pay thinking of going to them....

9. stlvance

stlvance Medium Load Member

Dec 20, 2011
    st louis MO
    out of my grad class theres only 2 left at stevens after 13 months i left at 8 months as i sat way too many days at a meat patch. when you start seeing weekly miles of 700 then its time to go so i did. if my miles hadnt been low for a couple of weeks i may have stayed

10. LongHaulBoi55

LongHaulBoi55 Bobtail Member

Mar 1, 2013
    I'm seeming to go further away from the lure of good equipment

11. discodubber

discodubber Light Load Member

Jun 22, 2012
    New Boston, TX
    All these people stuck in meat patches... I'm hardly ever in a meat patch and when I am, I almost never get stuck for more than a day.

When they give me a meat load, I call and ask if they have anything better. When a meat patch is the only thing, I ask if there is another load with a DLD closer than 2-3 days out. They don't mind if you treat them with courtesy and respect. I usually get my way, and I'm never at 700 miles a week unless my truck broke down.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.