What is EXCELLENT pay for experienced company hands?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Midwest Trucker, Aug 6, 2020.

1. wichris

wichris Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2011
    You will go through spurts where you will get more good drivers than you have trucks, other times it will be like now. Last 4 months it's been calls that are cash only because i'm on UMC, Comp or something else. Or those that are so bad the white Volvo crowd thinks twice. 6 months ago all you would get is the LP people. Learn to live with the ups and downs.

Midwest Trucker Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    People running these trucking company don't want to hear the truth also I think. Ask why driver are thinking about quitting. I can make my company sound like a great job or I can tell the truth. If we say anything as drivers I don't think they want to hear it.

My company says drives get home 3 out of 4 weekends. It does not happen or you get home 9pm Saturday and have leave out 7am Monday. I said something about not getting home and the company tells me. Maybe I should not log all the work I'm doing.

It's a red flag to me when I see some say they need "real drivers" that can run 700+ miles a day. I would say that's almost impossible today. Unless your running out west and have a truck that can do 70-75MPH. Back when we had paper log books a Real Driver was code for someone who would run illegal

I can tell you how they dispatch the truck more miles then you can drive. So if a company can't keep drivers, and you already pay pretty good and have good trucks. It's probably because something is wrong and the office people don't want to hear the truth.

4. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    I’ve been driving since April of 97. I’ve done my days of big miles and no sleep running livestock, and even last year ran myself to the point of being burnt out with a food grade pneumatic. Even if I lost my truck tomorrow and had to get a job, I have exactly zero desire to run 700 miles a day. Financially I don’t need to, and simply I don’t want to. I wouldn’t want to run a governed truck for 11 hours, being under the gun to get those miles in.

That being said, I know a FedEx contractor that has a dedicated run, leaves Thursday and they’re back in Sunday night/early Monday morning. Off Monday through Wednesday. He’s paying 72 cents and can’t find a team to do it. I think Old Dominion is around $130k a year for teams, you’ll have to beat wages like that to find the drivers you’re after.

5. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    I have the $1300 min per week program. That comes out to $65,000 or a little better guaranteed money. Drivers generally come in at around 72 or $73,000. No health care though like I mentioned.

Midwest, Southeast, Northeast.

Here recently have done some runs to Texas and going to start running to the SW and West with teams. That’s my goal anyway. For the last decade we’ve stayed within about 700 miles of Indy.

Try not to pin point and be negative on just one thing. Traditionally, unless I make an expansion into further from home, the drivers run around 2700 miles in a week, many times less even, sometimes more.

So, clearly that is not 700 miles every day.

What I mean is, if you have a load going 650 miles that delivered next day, it’s nice to have confidence that the driver can do it. I can’t tell a customer he will be there and then not be there. That’s not how you keep high end customers. Or, if you have a 1100 mile run and two days to do it, shopper runs behind and takes 3 hours to load. I need to know you can get it there.

It doesn’t mean every load is like that. Many may be 3 to 500 miles too. It’s about what your capable of, not what you can continuously do.

Thanks for the insight. Sounds like definitely lower pay but that the healthcare and flexibility with your truck, along with a great maintenance program keeps you and your family safe and happy. Don’t blame you a bit for staying out. Thx.

Right, that’s pretty much what I’m thinking. It’s hard significantly raising pay because it’s only fair to do it across the board then. That means huge increases straight out of the gate. Once you raise pay, it’s very difficult to reduce pay from a psychological aspect of the driver. Chances are the standard of living may have been raised during that time and now it puts him/her in financial trouble and unhappy. While, if wages would have maintained the very good original level they would still be happy. Catch 22 there.

Ive long said that if employees were more ok with pay being reduced, then pay increases would happen much much quicker. You could more follow the market be having to maintain an average.

Sorry to hear your company is less then desirable. (####ty) lol.

My company is definitely not what your portraying it to be. I actually care very deeply and remember what it’s like to work for others. Plus, I have longevity in mind at all times. Sounds like you should make a change?

Far as the 700 mile thing, I explained that more above. It’s about what your capable of doing, not what’s expected everyday. Drivers who drive for 3 or 4 hours then take an hour, so on so forth through the day just can’t make it with e logs. Sorry to say but alot of the freight I haul is critical and we also have to stay legal. If you are someone who likes to take their time, probably better to own your own truck and do it on your own time.

I don’t mean to sound too harsh, I don’t overly push people, in fact I don’t push them at all. I only work with runners. They got bills to pay, I got bills to pay.

Don’t blame you a bit brother. After all, I did post this on the owner op section so I should expect a healthy dose of owner op perspective. Thanks for the feedback on that team pay.

tommymonza, 86scotty, Long FLD and 2 others Thank this.
  6. mitrucker

mitrucker Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Lapeer, MI
    The lack of healthcare could be one of the big problems.

7. HD_Renegade

HD_Renegade Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2010
    North Carolina
    I have not see anything here on what your trucks are governed at ?

Cameras in the truck ? Front and or rear facing?

Forced routing, or forced fuel solution ?

Pay practical, zip code, or hub miles?

All live load, live unload ? Drop and hook ??

Do you have a customer base, or is most of the freight brokered ??

Idling rules? APU ??

Just a few questions and I also sent you a PM as well.

Respectfully

8. Western flyer

Western flyer Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2014
    That's the all the important questions
    Good drivers ask first.
    Camera in face,
    Forced routing,
    Forced fuel stops,
    No apu,

If the answer is yes to any of them, I'm not working
    For you. Don't care what you pay.
    That's not trucking,that's misery everyday.

JadeLove, sirhwy and Midwest Trucker Thank this.
  9. Midwest Trucker

Aug 31, 2018
    I’m primarily interested in what other people desire or would like in order to make a move. I don’t have a problem retaining who I have but have had huge problems “luring” in new drivers to my operation. I’ll go ahead and answer the questions though.

1. 70 mph but I’m thinking for the team or teams I can bring in that run cross country, I’ll set those to 75.

2. No cameras. I have noticed the majority of my drivers have installed their own forward facing and some even mirror cameras. I’ll never install driver facing as that’s not something I would ever be ok with myself.

3. Hub miles

4. 90% live/live. We only drop hook back at the yard if my local support truck has picked up the load ahead of time or if it’s a next day delivery and the local truck will deliver it out of increased efficiency.

5. Oops missed the force routing question. I’m all about common sense. Use the most efficient route unless there is reason to go out of route. Me or my office don’t eagle eye the trucks and check every route. I’d rather have professionals that do what they need to do.

6. Yes, I have customers direct, but also run a lot of broker freight too. Whatever is most efficient and profitable. If it makes sense to broker our customer freight, that’s what I do.

7. Trucks have bunk heaters but not APU’s. If it’s over 70 degrees then idle. If it’s below 15 degrees then idle. Anywhere in between I prefer to shut off and save fuel. I do quarterly safety and fuel mileage bonuses to reward those that stand out above the rest. Again it’s back to common sense and taking care of each other.

8. Not asked but I buy new trucks without the radars on the front. To me, that stuff can be more unsafe then safe. I wouldn’t want it on a truck I was driving so I don’t get it. I’d rather rely on naturally safe drivers who don’t need to be alerted to dangers.

I don’t force fuel stops. I give a list of 5 or 6 different chains that I prefer. But I’m not a fuel nazi. It’s about getting the job done most of all.

10. Midwest Trucker

Aug 31, 2018
    Hopefully anyone that has read every word I’ve said in this thread sees that I’m more about making money and being efficient. I don’t give two ####s what other companies do.

I do think it’s clear that maybe I should focus on healthcare more the increased pay. So, that’s definitely something I’ve been able to take away from this. The problem I’ve saw is most group plans require a minimum of 15 employees to even think about talking. We tend to hover around 12 or 13 so just not there yet unfortunately. I guess that’s a growing pain of being small and trying to get over that hurdle.

11. mpd240

mpd240 Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2011
    Minnesota
    Top hands expect top dollar. After that I want good Benifits. These are things I already have. Why would I switch jobs. Find the answer to that question and your golden.

12. HD_Renegade

HD_Renegade Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2010
    North Carolina
    70 mph truck being a solo is a safety issue for me. Pack running is dangerous these days. I need to be in a truck that can get me away from them.

It looks like you are doing a lot pf short runs with 700 mile trips. Most of my trips are 2000 to 3000 miles each.

As for brokered freight, it really depends on that. Some brokers onlybhave dencet freight rates because no good driver will go get that freight becuase ship is that bad and is whybthe rate is that high. Been there seen it first hand.

You have my contact info if you want to talk about this.

Midwest Trucker Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.