What is "IDLE AIR" ive see these at truck stops what are they

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by AirForce Vet, Aug 11, 2013.

1. AirForce Vet

AirForce Vet Light Load Member

Sep 18, 2012
    What is "IDLE AIR" ive see these at truck stops what are they

IdleAir and AndrewMemphis Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Vito

Vito Heavy Load Member

Jun 4, 2012
    North Carolina
    http://www.idleair.com/

Personally, I would never use it, being a company driver. And if I were an O/O I'd have an APU. So I don't see the attraction, maybe somebody who likes it can enlighten me.

I've been in truck stops that have them and they are seldom used. Only a few times did I think there was a good number of drivers using this service. To each their own.

4. Wolfyinc

Wolfyinc Road Train Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Salem, or
    from what I was told some companies have contracts with idleair to be used.
    I have never used them and dont plan on it, I have the adapter which was in my truck from a previous driver. For the cost of it I dont think its quite worth it, spending over $2 a hour depending how long you will be there then you can get a cheap hotel room or just idle your truck. I already have unlimited internet on the road so dont need that, I never watch tv so dont need the satellite channels....

How It Works:
    o First 10 hours of visit are $2.19 / hr (plus tax)
    o Each additional hour of visit is only $1.69 / hr (plus tax)
    o All visit hours MUST be consecutive. The customer cannot check out and back in during their visit. If the customer checks out, they will start over at 0 hours of use and the $2.19 rate.
    • Examples (all examples are before tax is added)
    o Customer stays 15 hours and checks out. The first 10 hours are $2.19 ($21.90) and the next 5 hours are
    $1.69 ($8.45) = total $30.35 or $2.02 / hr average
    o 12 hour visit would be $25.28 (Average $2.11/ hr)
    o 24 hour visit would be $45.56 (Average $1.90 / hr)
    o 34 hour visit would be $62.46 (Average $1.84 / hr)
    o 72 hour visit would be $126.68 (Average $1.76 / hr)

DoneYourWay and warrior81 Thank this.
  5. fisher guy

fisher guy Road Train Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Ocala Florida
    im a company driver with no apu my company is not picky when it comes to idling or fuel mileage but as a curtasy i keep it to a minimum if im gonna sit somewhere for a while and there is idle air near by ill use it im all set up with it it's relatively cheap i can watch live tv and set the the a/c to about 65 degrees ill use it when im awake but when i go to bed i log out of it in the end cost me about $15 a day so not to terribly bad

rustyswife Thanks this.
  6. Semi Crazy

Semi Crazy Road Train Member

May 13, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    Now to add to the mystery..........

PARK 'N VIEW!
    :biggrin_2559:

7. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    The concept of idleaire is good. One company I worked for used it as a benefit & the drivers could use it free; the company picked up the tab. I only used it 2 or 3 times because it smelled like cigarette smoke & the air from the heat or a/c smelled bad. Since our trucks didn't have APU's, the idleaire would have been an excellent alternative,if not for the cigarette smell.

Another big problem is at night the idleaire spots fill up with drivers that don't even use it; they just use the parking spots and idleaire employees don't enforce the parking rules even though the parking spots are leased by idleaire from the truckstop.

warrior81 and DoneYourWay Thank this.
  8. Wolfyinc

Wolfyinc Road Train Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Salem, or
    some places will make you move, was a driver posting yesterday he got kicked out of an idle air spot and couldnt find parking

9. Skunk_Truck_2590

Skunk_Truck_2590 Road Train Member

Feb 16, 2007
    Stonewall, LA.
    I've never used the hook ups or anything but would go to the booth and pay for a wifi ticket. Wifi was much better than the truck stop because of all the repeaters they had on the system, other trucks passing in front of yours wouldn't kill the wifi signal.

10. mustang970

mustang970 Road Train Member

Mar 27, 2009
    Homeless
    We had park and view.
    They even went so far as installing it in all our terminals.
    Had 50 foot of cord and phones too.
    What a failure.
    But then idle air failed too.

11. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    If hes not paying for idle air he should move .Those spots are reserved for the users.If they didn't monitor it before you know it every Tom Dick and Harry will be taking up all their idle air spots.

HotH2o and IdleAir Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.